SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #1
SpockNard
SpockNard is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Wrench SL2 Map Light Fix

I have read many posts re: broken, chintzy map light switches, and no one has found replacement parts- I have, and just fixed my son's map lights. I found the items via Mouser.com- one of my go-to places for small electronic parts. See pix. The switches are Mouser P/N 611 PS12-G03. The connectors that fit the switches are P/N 571 770983-1. No minimum for switches, minimum strip of 100 connectors.
I won't review whole procedure to remove fixture, etc., but one mod, to allow switches to snap in right, was that I sanded down a ridge on the back of the housing that kept the new switch from snapping in right- quick dremel job.

I've screwed around with the old switches more than once- the new parts fix feels much more secure, and parts cost etc. under $14.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SL2MapLightParts.jpg (82.1 KB, 17 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpockNard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpockNard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SpockNard is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2017, 07:07 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: SL2 Map Light Fix

Warm welcome to the Forum!

Nice way to fix a common problem, Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:34 AM   #3
gveinot
gveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

thanks for sharing,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

By "Map" light, are you referring to the "Dome" light above the seats?

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 142k - Iron Duke w/auto
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 183k - DOHC w/auto 1qt/100mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
By "Map" light, are you referring to the "Dome" light above the seats?
The map lights are only on sunroof equipped models, located directly above the rear view mirror: http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...r/P3210144.jpg

For a car nut you really need to go JY S-Series hunting and actually check things out...lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:10 PM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

subscribed for easy future reference, and bookmarked mouser.com. Thanks, and that's one heckuva great first post!

Now, back outside to the cold garage trying to undo the weird electrical s&!#* the previous owner did so I can drive this car

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
SpockNard
SpockNard is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

Glad it was worthwhile - real commonly posted issue. And yes, sun-roof model "map light", not dome light. I'm not very automotive-mechanical savvy, but I am a self-avowed "Mr. Fixit". And it's amazing how often switches are to blame.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpockNard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpockNard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SpockNard is offline   Reply With Quote