SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
00_SL1
00_SL1 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Default HELP wiper bushings VS Delrin VS stainless

Because we can all use another shifter bushing thread right?

Can anyone speak of the success, or failure rate, of the HELP shifter bushings that come in a 4 Pk, versus the other options?

Link to 4 pk on Amamzon https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-49448-.../dp/B002E2S8JW

My zip tie Macgyver method works, but really is only temporary.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 00_SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 00_SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
00_SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: HELP wiper bushings VS Delrin VS stainless

I didn't like the stainless. It made it more difficult to get into some gates because it restricts the natural rotational movement of the end loop. I had a replacement end loop for several years and I had to retorque the set screws each oil change. I went back to the factory bushing and that problem went away. Just keep some extra bushings in the glove box.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #3
00_SL1

2001 SL2

Thank you for your reply Robert. I am leaning that route myself at this point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 00_SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2017, 09:38 PM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Is the GM bushing still readily available?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:49 AM   #5
00_SL1

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Nothing I can find on GMPD
There's a Dorman on RockAuto, doesn't look quite as "sturdy"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14043-007.jpg (73.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by 00_SL1; 01-12-2017 at 07:55 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2017, 08:45 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
It's included with the $150-$200 new shifter cable set, never been sold separately by GM. If the cables are still in stock somewhere, the bushing is available

I had better luck with zip-ties on one car and wire coat hanger on another than that $20 POS Dorman on Rockauto (probably not $20 on RA, but that's what Napa and local parts stores charge for it). Stupid POS broke in half attempting to install it. I know I've wasted money on stupid things before but that one seriously pissed me off...lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:27 AM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

OEM replacement cables come from JY only and then it is aftermarket Chinese copies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #8
00_SL1

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
It's included with the $150-$200 new shifter cable set, never been sold separately by GM. If the cables are still in stock somewhere, the bushing is available

I had better luck with zip-ties on one car and wire coat hanger on another than that $20 POS Dorman on Rockauto (probably not $20 on RA, but that's what Napa and local parts stores charge for it). Stupid POS broke in half attempting to install it. I know I've wasted money on stupid things before but that one seriously pissed me off...lol
My zip-tie fix lasted for quite a while, just shy of 6 months. At that time I was going to look into buying a real bushing replacement but it worked so well that after a week I just left it, and put extra zip-ties and a Philips screw driver in the glove box. I'm glad a did that, it was what saved me from needing a tow.

I've decided I will just get the HELP wiper bushings since it's cheap enough and post my experience with them for anyone else that happens to search this same issue. I'll be keeping extra zip-ties and tools in the car indefinitely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The bushing fix you use is dependent on how you like the transmission shift mechanism to operate and the mechanical condition of the transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #10
00_SL1

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
OEM replacement cables come from JY only and then it is aftermarket Chinese copies.
Good to hear from you OldNuc, your expertise and wisdom are always welcomed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #11
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

I didn't like the looks of the Dorman either, so made my own bushing. The SS wasn't considered due to problems with it already discussed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #12
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

I have around 100k miles on my Delrin from saturnbushingman. My trips are rarely more than 25 miles at a time, so very few long, hwy trips are involved.

I stopped carrying a Phillips screwdriver and zip ties shortly afterwards. In the 8 or so years after I joined this forum, I have seen zero reported failures of the saturnbushingman's Delrin bushings.

Looks like I replaced my busing in 2009, did it as preemptive maintenance - so that was about 7 years of driving on it so far.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=189800

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project-one day
11/2016 red 2002 SC2 115k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #13
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Looks like I replaced my busing in 2009, did it as preemptive maintenance - so that was about 7 years of driving on it so far.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=189800
I've also never heard of anyone having issues with the Delrin. I kept mine in the glove box until needed (luckily, I was only about two miles from home when the original let loose leaving me stuck in second and I inched her home). This was a little over four years ago and about 40K miles. No issues at all - can't tell the difference between it and original.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 06/16/17: 222,552 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 06/16/17: 33,906 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #14
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

I have ~20K miles and 4 years on the stainless steel (SS) bushing, and it seems to work just fine. Very nicely designed/machined unit. I had bought the SS replacement a few years earlier than that in anticipating the OEM part failure. I had actually tried getting the OEM bushing off when the SS unit arrived, but the OEM one was pressed on there pretty good, so I let it be and just put a few zip ties in the glove box waiting for doomsday.

Of course, when it *did* suddenly fail, it was in heavy traffic/left hand lane of a 4 lane highway......

If I did this over again, I'd have bought the Delrin replacement one because it can be quickly popped in any old time, even at the roadside.

The SS item requires epoxy to cure, so it can't be too cold when you perform the swap.

After the original failure, I bought a Delrin replacement eye hook end for the shifter cable end so I'm all set when the OEM one pulls out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

IF the SS bushing is properly installed and you do not inadvertently unwind the cable when installing the end loop onto the bushing it will not fail if it was not already compromised by the OEM bushing failure. I have put over 60,000 miles on a SS bushing with no issues and the cables are still functional. I have upgraded the entire assembly to a Hein cable set however. There are very few FIRST HAND reports of SS bushing issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #16
00_SL1

2001 SL2

I will be going with the Delrin bushing, I do not have the time nor the heated shop to go with SS which uses epoxy. It's not very clear if saturnbushingman and delrin are one in the same, or if saturnbushingman just sells the delrin bushing. Is this the Delrin bushing sold by saturnbushingman that everybody is talking about?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-2002-Sa...4pYX6PZcRJht2g

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #17
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

That's the one you want.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #18
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Delrin is the DuPont brand name for the material that saturnbushingman's bushing is made from. Delrin is a bit easier to spell than polyoxymethylene, though polyoxymethylene is a lot of fun to say

Quote:
Polyoxymethylene (POM), also known as acetal,[1] polyacetal and polyformaldehyde, is an engineering thermoplastic used in precision parts requiring high stiffness, low friction, and excellent dimensional stability. As with many other synthetic polymers, it is produced by different chemical firms with slightly different formulas and sold variously by such names as Delrin, Celcon, Ramtal, Duracon, Kepital and Hostaform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post
Of course, when it *did* suddenly fail, it was in heavy traffic/left hand lane of a 4 lane highway......
Stories like this are why I did mine pre-emptively. I had to cut the old bushing off, though.

I don't trust my skills to do the SS properly so will probably buy another delrin bushing for my new-to-me '02. The only thing I will do differently this time is to use the powdered mica that OldNuc recommends, rather than the PTFE that comes with it. As OldNuc says, the powdered mica is good stuff

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project-one day
11/2016 red 2002 SC2 115k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #19
00_SL1

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
That's the one you want.
I appreciate you clearing that up for me fetchitfido

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #20
00_SL1

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Delrin is the DuPont brand name for the material that saturnbushingman's bushing is made from. Delrin is a bit easier to spell than polyoxymethylene, though polyoxymethylene is a lot of fun to say

Stories like this are why I did mine pre-emptively. I had to cut the old bushing off, though.

I don't trust my skills to do the SS properly so will probably buy another delrin bushing for my new-to-me '02. The only thing I will do differently this time is to use the powdered mica that OldNuc recommends, rather than the PTFE that comes with it. As OldNuc says, the powdered mica is good stuff
Good stuff. I love learning. Thank you for your reply alordofchaos

REWARD EXCELLENCE!