SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
08Astra78
08Astra78 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default 2008 Astra - Engine Swaped now no start

Hello All, I do have to say sorry about my grammer it is not a strong sute of mine. Here is my story.... I've read your site using it for quick help on things but now I am really stuck and needing some help.

I did an engine swap on my 08 Astra for an engine of the same make modle and year. Last engine lost a cylinder and this way was cheaper. I had to use the old wire harnes for the newer engine. Everything seemed to plug in fine. Engine turns over by socket nicely. I used the old computer for the old engine to even help with the change.

Problem I am having right now is I can not get the starter to engage the flywheel so that I can even check out the new engine. I am getting just a "click" at the starter. I have full power at the starter.

All I'm needing help I've put in a lot of time on this I am not a great wrench but I needed to save money on this one and I am so close do done. Any Ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 08Astra78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 08Astra78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
08Astra78 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
08Astra78

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: 2008 Astra - Engine Swaped now no start

Checking to see if this is active?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 08Astra78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you are sure the click heard is from the starter, it may be dead or worn out. Try banging it a few times with a piece of 2x4 lumber - this may get it to run and if it does, consider replacing it. Mileage on this car? Starters can last well beyond 250k miles or fail after 50k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
08Astra78

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If you are sure the click heard is from the starter, it may be dead or worn out. Try banging it a few times with a piece of 2x4 lumber - this may get it to run and if it does, consider replacing it. Mileage on this car? Starters can last well beyond 250k miles or fail after 50k.
I did try that with the old starter with no sucsess so I did replace it. I do have a brand new battery and starter in the car right now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

New battery, starter and the same click from the starter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
08Astra78

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
New battery, starter and the same click from the starter?
Yes same click with new battery and starter, wires are good. I have had people turn the key with me under the car and I can feel it try to engage. It's like there is something locking the starter out. Like a safety or secutity switch. Like I posted above everything bolts up fine. I even checked the flywheel teeth, the depth with a tape messer as far as with the old engine and things match. Wires are hooked up right and to be honest there is no other way to put them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2017, 06:36 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here's a quick down and dirty way to test starter operation under the car or connecting wires to the starter to safely test it away from the engine; a screwdriver can short the two terminals on the starter solenoid as marked in the image below (click on image to open a new full screen image on your pc/tablet/laptop). The small 'S' terminal is where the ignition switch sends a 12 volt signal to begin starter operation; the 12 volts powers the solenoid, closing a set of internal electrical contacts to connect the large terminal to the starter motor (the other large terminal with braided wire). The solenoid also pulls in the yoke assembly to engage the starter gear to engine flywheel. Instant starting. Leave the ignition switch OFF if you use a screwdriver to short the large and small terminals. This tests battery power, both battery cables and their connections with the starter either powering up and cranking the engine or not.

If you aren't interested in the above method and wish for a safer alternative, connect a length of wire to each terminal, long enough to extend away from the engine and simply connect the two ends together. Stores sell remote starters; two lengths of wires about 3'-5' with a momentary heavy duty pushbutton, used by experienced mechanics and anyone else wanting to bypass the car's electrical wiring to test starter operation in the engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (126.4 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #8
08Astra78

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Here's a quick down and dirty way to test starter operation under the car or connecting wires to the starter to safely test it away from the engine; a screwdriver can short the two terminals on the starter solenoid as marked in the image below (click on image to open a new full screen image on your pc/tablet/laptop). The small 'S' terminal is where the ignition switch sends a 12 volt signal to begin starter operation; the 12 volts powers the solenoid, closing a set of internal electrical contacts to connect the large terminal to the starter motor (the other large terminal with braided wire). The solenoid also pulls in the yoke assembly to engage the starter gear to engine flywheel. Instant starting. Leave the ignition switch OFF if you use a screwdriver to short the large and small terminals. This tests battery power, both battery cables and their connections with the starter either powering up and cranking the engine or not.

If you aren't interested in the above method and wish for a safer alternative, connect a length of wire to each terminal, long enough to extend away from the engine and simply connect the two ends together. Stores sell remote starters; two lengths of wires about 3'-5' with a momentary heavy duty pushbutton, used by experienced mechanics and anyone else wanting to bypass the car's electrical wiring to test starter operation in the engine.
I am going to jump it over tonight. I will keep you posted and I sure do thank you for the help. Like I said I've got a lot of work tied up here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #9
08Astra78

2008 Astra XR

No joy with jumping the silnoid. Acting like there is no power at the starter. I did try the key again and got the single click. Relay?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2017, 10:06 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Something is definitely wrong but we're getting closer to the problem if it isn't staring at you. When shorting the two starter solenoid terminals, the battery is supplying power to the solenoid without using the ignition switch. There are fewer things to check; possible faulty starter, loose/corroded battery cables and their connections, miswiring of battery cables, corroded/missing ground connections.

With a new battery, hardly used and nearly fully charged, leaves both battery cables, their condition and connections. Examine both cables for signs of severe corrosion, damage and missing ground connections. Battery positive splits off into two places - main cable runs from battery to starter while a smaller gauge branches off this main cable to the engine and interior fuse boxes. Battery negative cable goes to two main grounds - chassis and engine block because the chassis grounds all wiring connections everywhere and the engine block needs ground for the starter and any electrical devices connected to the engine block. The starter, alternator, and a/c clutch coil grounds thru the engine block without needing separate wires and counts on the engine block having a ground connection either directly to the battery negative cable or a separate wire (sometimes a bare braided wire) between chassis and engine block. You might be able to find the engine block ground wire by finding where the battery negative cable goes and connects. Usually a short battery negative cable goes into a wire harness but ends nearby to connect to a chassis stud. This stud may have another large gauge ground wire to connect to the engine block. Ensure battery positive and negative connections are terminated correctly and not missing.

This may be just a main power problem, distributing power thru battery cables.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2017, 09:40 AM   #11
08Astra78

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Something is definitely wrong but we're getting closer to the problem if it isn't staring at you. When shorting the two starter solenoid terminals, the battery is supplying power to the solenoid without using the ignition switch. There are fewer things to check; possible faulty starter, loose/corroded battery cables and their connections, miswiring of battery cables, corroded/missing ground connections.

With a new battery, hardly used and nearly fully charged, leaves both battery cables, their condition and connections. Examine both cables for signs of severe corrosion, damage and missing ground connections. Battery positive splits off into two places - main cable runs from battery to starter while a smaller gauge branches off this main cable to the engine and interior fuse boxes. Battery negative cable goes to two main grounds - chassis and engine block because the chassis grounds all wiring connections everywhere and the engine block needs ground for the starter and any electrical devices connected to the engine block. The starter, alternator, and a/c clutch coil grounds thru the engine block without needing separate wires and counts on the engine block having a ground connection either directly to the battery negative cable or a separate wire (sometimes a bare braided wire) between chassis and engine block. You might be able to find the engine block ground wire by finding where the battery negative cable goes and connects. Usually a short battery negative cable goes into a wire harness but ends nearby to connect to a chassis stud. This stud may have another large gauge ground wire to connect to the engine block. Ensure battery positive and negative connections are terminated correctly and not missing.

This may be just a main power problem, distributing power thru battery cables.
Makes total sense. I will advice on it and again thank you for the help!!! It is very very appriciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!