SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2017, 09:18 AM   #1
CM400T
CM400T is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Wrench Strut choices?

Can anyone recommend a strut for my SL2s? I have a 2001 SL2 5-speed and a 2002 SL2 5-speed (both have around 140,000 miles). I believe both have Gabriels at this time, and the dampening is fading after only a year or so, less than 10,000 miles on each SL2 if I remember correctly.

A while ago I bought a set of 4 Gabriels from RockAuto. They were so loose, they had less dampening than a set of Sensa-Tracs with 25,000 miles on them! (judging by pushing the 'naked' strut with my hands.) Is this normal for Gabriel, or normal variation in parts tolerances, or bad quality? I never even put them on the car!

I have had Monroe Sensa-Trac in the past. Stiffer than original, but the ride will change (wearout) in 55,000 miles. Their other struts ("OE Spectrum" or "Gas-Matic") are less stiff, yes? Are they as durable? Do their "quick struts" always have SensaTracs?

Are the KYB nice, as people say? How long might they last?

I don't have time to try every brand and put thousands of miles on each. I'm kind of "stuck with" my decision. That's why I am asking here, so I can make the right decision now (no more wasted money on Gabriels). What do you recommend?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CM400T's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CM400T reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CM400T is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Strut choices?

The best stand alone strut options is and always has been KYB GR-2/Excel-G, at least for the S-Series.

The quik-strut craze happened and Monroe tried to cash in, took 'em 6-7 tries to get a part produced that doesn't squeak at every corner or every time the suspension moves. Even now I don't believe it's fixed, but it could be. Now just about everybody has quik-struts for the S-Series, probably with the same dubious results and quality (except KYB, haven't seen a S-Series quik-strut from them...).

I won't buy Napa/Monroe Sensa-craps, I bought an '00 Legacy Outback with them installed on the rear for less than 20k miles (had receipt but not in my name "warranty not valid") and not only were they worn out but I'd hit a bump 30ft from my driveway and it wouldn't stop bouncing my entire 42mi drive into work. The only good thing about that was it takes about 20min to swap out rear struts and had no alignment involvement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
gen3thirdowner
gen3thirdowner is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
The best stand alone strut options is and always has been KYB GR-2/Excel-G, at least for the S-Series.

The quik-strut craze happened and Monroe tried to cash in, took 'em 6-7 tries to get a part produced that doesn't squeak at every corner or every time the suspension moves. Even now I don't believe it's fixed, but it could be. Now just about everybody has quik-struts for the S-Series, probably with the same dubious results and quality (except KYB, haven't seen a S-Series quik-strut from them...).

I won't buy Napa/Monroe Sensa-craps, I bought an '00 Legacy Outback with them installed on the rear for less than 20k miles (had receipt but not in my name "warranty not valid") and not only were they worn out but I'd hit a bump 30ft from my driveway and it wouldn't stop bouncing my entire 42mi drive into work. The only good thing about that was it takes about 20min to swap out rear struts and had no alignment involvement.
Thank god i read this before i spent 130$ on both front assembled by monroe on rockauto

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gen3thirdowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gen3thirdowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gen3thirdowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
CM400T

2001 SL2

I just found something dated April 2016 on a forum for the Chrysler PT Cruiser - the Sensa-Trac has been replaced by the "OE Spectrum". Different valving.

Will KYB give a good ride over a long distance? I'm hoping more people will post and let us know their experiences.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help CM400T reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

KYB and build your own. New springs are not a bad idea either as the ones in there are tired.
Front MOOG CC664
Rear MOOG CC681
These will give you the best ride and handling without jarring your teeth out. The rears are for a SW and will provide a stiffer rear suspension.

About 90,000 miles on KYB and they still work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:47 PM   #6
Nekomimi
Nekomimi is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
KYB and build your own. New springs are not a bad idea either as the ones in there are tired.
Front MOOG CC664
Rear MOOG CC681
These will give you the best ride and handling without jarring your teeth out. The rears are for a SW and will provide a stiffer rear suspension.

About 90,000 miles on KYB and they still work.
+1 For KYB struts and Moog CargoCoils.
(I have Gabriel mounts and reused the larger OEM fasteners, they're nice and still on sale it looks)

Also if your buying new mounts too, don't forget the "MONROE 906928 Strut-Mate Strut Coil Spring Seat" for the front mount. For some reason the coil seat is a separate part from the front mount. Otherwise you have to reuse the old seat.
p.s. Make sure to get a mount kit with all of the hardware, some kits include the top and bottom strut washers and some expect you to reuse the old ones.
p.p.s. Don't forget the dust boots.

'96 SL1 Originally the family car, passed on to me as my first. "Hellcat" 226,000+ miles and purring smooth.My Mug is filled with the lost souls of imports.
I Want SAAB Soccerballs. But they're 4x115

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nekomimi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nekomimi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nekomimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #7
jstutz101
jstutz101 is on a distinguished road

I learned the hard way to not get cheap and buy Unity brand struts (Rockauto). They are terrible. Lots of noise and squeaking. I wound up buying Moog's and have been very happy with them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jstutz101's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jstutz101 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jstutz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:54 PM   #8
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2

If you buy the Moog quickstruts, then plan on buying the cam adjustment bolts to go with them...else you will not be able to get the alignment right. I purchased those (I believe they are Moog ST8511) and they performed quite well from the start. They got rid of my front end creaking noise caused by the worn mount bearings.

However, my only small gripe about those is that after a few months a squeaking noise developed on the left side strut. It wasn't terrible, but it was annoying. So if I ever purchase a new set of struts I will try out the KYBs that everyone raves about and build them myself. Just my opinions...

'97 SL1, 136K, Auto, Mint Green (SOLD 146K)
'99 SL2, 126K, Auto, Silver (SOLD 149K)
'97 SL1, 136K, Manual, Burgundy (Gifted to Brother 138K)
'02 SL2, 149K, Auto, Light Gray/Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bachands's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:38 AM   #9
CM400T

2001 SL2

I have had to replace a couple of rear strut mounts in the past. The strut rod almost came through the fabric behind the rear passenger's head. I knew I had to fix it ASAP. The MOOG mount (lifetime warranty from PepBoys) didn't look any better than the assembly line originals; indeed, the MOOG failed after a few years.

Can I get a better mount? Should I replace them since I'll be disassembling that area anyway? I do not abuse my Saturns, but potholes and railroad tracks are always lurking in our path. Does anyone know of a better mount?

(BTW, I have also had creaking in the front. I believe the problem was inside the strut, not inside the top bearing for wheel turning. The noise may have gone away on its own, I don't remember.)

I will wait for your advice before placing my order, so I can save on shipping. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #10
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

I've only used KYB parts and H&R springs. Only issue I had was when I was an idiot improperly assembling the mount; forgot the washer's top & bottom that prevent the shaft from being able to pull through the mount.
Limped home, jacked it up, re-aimed the shaft through the mount, got the nut off, stuck the washer in on the top, put the nut back on and no further issue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #11
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

KYB I installed myself 50,000 miles ago. Still gives beautiful ride. It is stiffer/more sporty feel but with my RT43 tires I do not feel a lot of bumps. I purchased mine at Rock Auto.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #12
Lucario
Lucario is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1

Kybs excel-g are a good choice. They handled great on my moms SL1. Extra bonus is that they are also Made in Indiana as well according to KYB;s site.

02 SC1 "Hikaru" 83K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lucario's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lucario reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lucario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #13
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

I've always ran the Monroe Senstitracs and never had an issue. Granted I'm mostly highway driving but they lasted about the same number of miles as the oem originals.

I just installed a set of KYB's on a friends Saturn and he seems to like them. He said it was a big improvement but his old ones were SHOT.

Highmile
'95 SL1 621k and counting

Highmile
95 sl1 496k (rebuilt engine)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:37 PM   #14
Steve44
Steve44 will become famous soon enoughSteve44 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

There's no way I was going to pay big money for a Strut compressor, so I figured I was going to either buy a JY pair, or a pair of those "assembled units"
until just before Christmas. I found this at Princess Auto (It's like Canada's Harbor Freight) for $16. Yeah Baby. Once it's warm enough, I'm doin' struts!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0151.jpg (106.4 KB, 11 views)

The SL1...The Lucky Car
The SL2..The awesome deal.
World's biggest fan of doing it the easy way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steve44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steve44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steve44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:44 PM   #15
Magic
Magic is on a distinguished road

2000 SL

Another vote for KYB!

I have them on mine since the last 36K KMs and they are great! They have a nice ride characteristic.

2000 Saturn SL , 1.9 SOHC, 5 speed. Blue/Tan...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Magic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Magic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:48 PM   #16
Magic
Magic is on a distinguished road

2000 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve44 View Post
There's no way I was going to pay big money for a Strut compressor, so I figured I was going to either buy a JY pair, or a pair of those "assembled units"
until just before Christmas. I found this at Princess Auto (It's like Canada's Harbor Freight) for $16. Yeah Baby. Once it's warm enough, I'm doin' struts!
Seeing as you are very local to me, have you bought struts already?
I might be parting my Saturn out (or sell it as a parts car, less the stereo), as its getting up there in KMs (almost 400K) and with the pending issues, I need to draw the line somewhere.

I also have some other parts new in boxes (EBC brake pads, brake drums, air filter, etc) that might be of interest.

2000 Saturn SL , 1.9 SOHC, 5 speed. Blue/Tan...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Magic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Magic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #17
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Quote:
There's no way I was going to pay big money for a Strut compressor
These are the expensive ones...$45 is "big money"?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OC5QJS/

They're much safer looking on the springs than my 30+ year old home made ones...lol

Oh, Canadian...land of the overpriced everything due to import fees >.<
Heard good things about Wilmar in general, haven't tried these but the reviews sound good... https://www.amazon.ca/Wilmar-W80559-.../dp/B0075CQLV8

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-21-2017, 10:41 PM   #18
Nekomimi
Nekomimi is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

I've got all ya'll beat on compressor price, and safety

100$

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MacPherson-S...item1c7876e56d

Works flawlessly awesome, absolutely worth it

'96 SL1 Originally the family car, passed on to me as my first. "Hellcat" 226,000+ miles and purring smooth.My Mug is filled with the lost souls of imports.
I Want SAAB Soccerballs. But they're 4x115

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nekomimi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nekomimi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nekomimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #19
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

Quote:
most autoparts stores will free rent the tool to do the job. Might not be fancy like the one in the picture above but it will get the job done

Highmile
'95 SL1 621k and counting

Highmile
95 sl1 496k (rebuilt engine)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote