SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
SLWolf
SLWolf is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1
Default Need Help Choosing New Mounts

I have a 1994 Saturn SL1 Automatic with TBI,

I need new torque strut mounts and a trans mount for my car, but I am not sure which I can trust. From my usual supplier of parts, here is a list of what they have, so I need to know which if any would be most trusted, ignoring the price:

Torque Strut:

1. SKP #SKM2825

2. ANCHOR #2825

3. WESTAR #EM2825

4. DEA/MARMON RIDE CONTROL #A2825

5. PIONEER #609000

Trans Mount:

1. DEA/MARMON RIDE CONTROL #A2826

2. SKP #SKM2826

3. ANCHOR #2826

4. WESTAR #EM2826

5. PIONEER #621040

LONG LIVE SATURN SL SERIES!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLWolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLWolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2017, 11:42 PM   #2
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMacgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMacgyver has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
2001 SL1
Default Re: Need Help Choosing New Mounts

None of the above. All of them are made from 2 different companies overseas - China or Korea. The quality is garbage, all will vibrate the entire car. Unfortunately, your only choice is OEM.

The part numbers are: 21012185 (top mount), 21013105 (need 2- dog done), and 21012951 (transmission).

If you're planning on keeping the car for a while you can buy all 4 for around $225 online. If not, pick them up from the junkyard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:03 AM   #3
SLWolf

1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
None of the above. All of them are made from 2 different companies overseas - China or Korea. The quality is garbage, all will vibrate the entire car. Unfortunately, your only choice is OEM.

The part numbers are: 21012185 (top mount), 21013105 (need 2- dog done), and 21012951 (transmission).

If you're planning on keeping the car for a while you can buy all 4 for around $225 online. If not, pick them up from the junkyard.
Glad I asked then! But I am sure if I were to buy them, it would be same or better for vibration. All four mounts, there is NO rubber left at all with whats installed currently.

On a related note, where is the 2nd dog bone mount? I know the one under the crank pulley but I do not recall seeing the other. I need to replace all four at same time so I need to know where they all are before hand.

I will be looking for the parts, thanks SO much for the part numbers! If anyone knows where to get genuine new ones from a good source, please let me know the link!

And yes, I plan and hope to have my loyal Saturn for as long as possible! I am working to improve this one but also trying to save up for another so this one will last longer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SLWolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2017, 12:25 AM   #4
Greg1
Greg1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1998 SL2

The second dog bone is on top of the transmission but somewhat hidden by the battery tray and air filter housing.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:34 AM   #5
SLWolf

1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1 View Post
The second dog bone is on top of the transmission but somewhat hidden by the battery tray and air filter housing.
No wonder I have never seen it, never paid attention when battery is removed and only time the air filter housing was removed was when I had to replace a heater hose. Because I had to replace at an auto parts store, the only focus was getting the hose in before dark.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #6
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

You won't notice any difference with the two strut mounts. They prevent clunking when you accelerate. The top mount accounts for 90% of vibration. I'd start with a $110 top mount from saturn and see if you feel you need to do the others. You may find it's smooth enough.

There is a trick for the bottom mount. If you leave all the strut mounts in place and set the new mount at a 45 degree angle with the bolt set in the frame loosely and then lower the engine very slowly it will magically align itself. People make it too difficult by removing the strut mounts and wrestling the engine into place.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWolf View Post
No wonder I have never seen it, never paid attention when battery is removed and only time the air filter housing was removed was when I had to replace a heater hose. Because I had to replace at an auto parts store, the only focus was getting the hose in before dark.
You still won't see it with the battery out, without looking from the middle/passenger side. The battery tray (the thing the battery sits on) is in the way

I'm not sure if you even have to remove the intake to replace it, maybe if you have something stupid like ABS that not only can't do it's job from the factory but gets in the way of fixing things not related to ABS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:34 PM   #8
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
You still won't see it with the battery out, without looking from the middle/passenger side. The battery tray (the thing the battery sits on) is in the way

I'm not sure if you even have to remove the intake to replace it, maybe if you have something stupid like ABS that not only can't do it's job from the factory but gets in the way of fixing things not related to ABS.
As I recall it, with the automatic transmission the battery tray gets in the way of removing the lower trans mount and you either have to remove the battery tray or lower the engine cradle. This does not apply to manual transmissions as there is more room to lift the transmission off the cradle.

The upper trans mount however can be changed through the left wheel well with splash guards removed and/or from underneath. No need to remove anything above it.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (403,500 km @ 04/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (240,500 km @ 04/2017)
2005 Suburban Z71 (290,500 km @ 04/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
As I recall it, with the automatic transmission
The only work I do to S-Series automatic's is swapping to 5spd. Generally the A/C doesn't work, so everything forward from the firewall for A/C gets removed too. It's amazing how much room there is to work on stuff with a 5spd, no A/C and no ABS module

But yes, to do the lower mount you have to remove everything above the auto transmission...all that random uncommanded by the driver shifting comes at a major spatial price :P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #10
dwalicante
dwalicante is on a distinguished road

Good answers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dwalicante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dwalicante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dwalicante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:11 PM   #11
SLWolf

1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
You won't notice any difference with the two strut mounts. They prevent clunking when you accelerate. The top mount accounts for 90% of vibration. I'd start with a $110 top mount from saturn and see if you feel you need to do the others. You may find it's smooth enough.

There is a trick for the bottom mount. If you leave all the strut mounts in place and set the new mount at a 45 degree angle with the bolt set in the frame loosely and then lower the engine very slowly it will magically align itself. People make it too difficult by removing the strut mounts and wrestling the engine into place.

-Robert
Well I cannot say for the hidden strut mount, but for the other, the trans and the top, there is no rubber left so its just metal on metal. Vibrates like crazy! Anyways, what if I were to replace the top and not the others, I thought not doing all the bad ones would destroy any new ones faster, is that true?

And if the dog bones do not matter, then could I just buy an OEM top mount and use one of the dog bone struts listed in my first post here to replace the two on my Saturn? I mean with them just dead on mine, unless the ones in first post will do harm to the car, I am sure they will be better than whats left of them on it right now, especially if the top mount does the most for dampening which would be why id buy an OEM top.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2017, 01:12 AM   #12
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
....maybe if you have something stupid like ABS that not only can't do it's job from the factory but gets in the way of fixing things not related to ABS.
LMAO!! ABS is so stupid. Invented for those who don't know how to pump their own brake pedal. Such a big module for something so worthless.

'97 SL1, 136K, Auto, Mint Green (SOLD 146K)
'99 SL2, 126K, Auto, Silver (SOLD 149K)
'97 SL1, 136K, Manual, Burgundy (Gifted to Brother 138K)
'02 SL2, 149K, Auto, Light Gray/Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bachands's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:23 AM   #13
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWolf View Post
And if the dog bones do not matter, then could I just buy an OEM top mount and use one of the dog bone struts listed in my first post here to replace the two on my Saturn? I mean with them just dead on mine, unless the ones in first post will do harm to the car, I am sure they will be better than whats left of them on it right now, especially if the top mount does the most for dampening which would be why id buy an OEM top.
This is what I have done for my Saturns and have had good results. I always replace the top engine mount and the trans mount with OEM. But I purchase aftermarket DEA brand torque strut mounts (aka dogbones) and they seem to work well.

I would avoid Westar. Last time I bought a Westar brand mount, the rubber was hard as a rock. My car vibrated worse than when I had the original mount on. The DEA mounts, on the other hand, have fairly pliable rubber and seem to hold up okay over time.

'97 SL1, 136K, Auto, Mint Green (SOLD 146K)
'99 SL2, 126K, Auto, Silver (SOLD 149K)
'97 SL1, 136K, Manual, Burgundy (Gifted to Brother 138K)
'02 SL2, 149K, Auto, Light Gray/Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bachands's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:45 AM   #14
SLWolf

1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachands View Post
This is what I have done for my Saturns and have had good results. I always replace the top engine mount and the trans mount with OEM. But I purchase aftermarket DEA brand torque strut mounts (aka dogbones) and they seem to work well.

I would avoid Westar. Last time I bought a Westar brand mount, the rubber was hard as a rock. My car vibrated worse than when I had the original mount on. The DEA mounts, on the other hand, have fairly pliable rubber and seem to hold up okay over time.
Great! Cannot wait to get new mounts in, and have a smooth ride for the very first time with the Saturn!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #15
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

I had SDA's poly insert for the frowny mount (think it was $75-$80 for the insert, $105 with the mount back when there was some kind of aftermarket) as well as the poly dog bones and factory (unknown age/mileage) trans mount in 4-5 DOHC's...never had a vibration issue except on the coldest days and even then it was only until the cabin warmed up a bit so the plastic was marginally more pliable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!