SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2016, 12:08 AM   #1
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member
Shadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Clutch suddenly failed!

2008 sky 2.4 manual

I was parked facing forward down a fairly steep hill. Car Sat that way for about a week in rather cold conditions... Now I can't get it into gear, I went to fire it up with the clutch pedal all the way down and it started to move backward up the hill (I leave it in gear when parked). I managed to get it out of gear and fire it up, but the clutch now doesn't do anything...

Help!! :-(

Edward

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shadow_tek001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shadow_tek001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Shadow_tek001 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2016, 12:15 AM   #2
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member
Shadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Clutch suddenly failed!

Update!!

So, after running it for a bit it seems to have corrected itself?

Edward

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Shadow_tek001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2016, 03:38 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Gelled xmission fluid in sub freezing temperatures? If a manual is left in gear and temps are below freezing, xmission oil can someone gel to a thickness like molasses. This may make it difficult to shift until the engine runs and warms up, turning the input shaft of the xmission. This turns part of the xmission, warming up gelled oil until it loosens up. A few minutes of engine running helps when the xmission is left in neutral. If it was left in gear, gelled oil acts like semi hard glue, preventing shifts. You may have had to disengage clutch for starting and hold it for a minute or so until able to shift to neutral and release clutch. Churning xmission oil in neutral helps warm it. When shifting into first, slow clutch engagement can help prevent stalling while applying some throttle to get moving. Once moving, xmission oil warms up quickly as all gears are churning oil. You'll know by feel as xmission oil loosens up while driving and shifting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Gelled xmission fluid in sub freezing temperatures? If a manual is left in gear and temps are below freezing, xmission oil can someone gel to a thickness like molasses. This may make it difficult to shift until the engine runs and warms up, turning the input shaft of the xmission. This turns part of the xmission, warming up gelled oil until it loosens up. A few minutes of engine running helps when the xmission is left in neutral. If it was left in gear, gelled oil acts like semi hard glue, preventing shifts. You may have had to disengage clutch for starting and hold it for a minute or so until able to shift to neutral and release clutch. Churning xmission oil in neutral helps warm it. When shifting into first, slow clutch engagement can help prevent stalling while applying some throttle to get moving. Once moving, xmission oil warms up quickly as all gears are churning oil. You'll know by feel as xmission oil loosens up while driving and shifting.
Good to know, thanks!

Edward

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-09-2017, 12:19 AM   #5
emy
emy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_tek001 View Post
2008 sky 2.4 manual
I was parked facing forward down a fairly steep hill. Car Sat that way for about a week in rather cold conditions... Now I can't get it into gear, I went to fire it up with the clutch pedal all the way down and it started to move backward up the hill (I leave it in gear when parked). I managed to get it out of gear and fire it up, but the clutch now doesn't do anything...
Help!! :-(
Edward
High revs and dumping the clutch to provoke wheelspin could cause the damage you describe. As to heat, slipping the clutch is an obvious one. Having reliable clutches would be wise.
this sort of clutch failure is usually caused by misuse. For example, I'm told that slipping the clutch for too long when you are in a slowly moving queue in a multi-story car park is one possibility. However, I can't see that either I or my son have been doing anything like that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   #6
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emy View Post
High revs and dumping the clutch to provoke wheelspin could cause the damage you describe. As to heat, slipping the clutch is an obvious one. Having reliable clutches would be wise.
this sort of clutch failure is usually caused by misuse. For example, I'm told that slipping the clutch for too long when you are in a slowly moving queue in a multi-story car park is one possibility. However, I can't see that either I or my son have been doing anything like that.
Yeah no... That would be the exact opposite of what I've described. And I know how to drive a standard, I never ride the clutch. Been driving stick for 21 years lol.

The issue was exactly what was mentioned in earlier responses. Just cold, jelled up trans fluid. After warming up the car for a few minutes, the issue was gone.

Edward.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!