SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2016, 08:55 PM   #41
Medtactics
Medtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
Default Re: Saturn TDI

240 is pushing it with only ~6F @15psi before the radiator is boiling, try 225. Personally I would go with an inline probe as close to the coolant exit point as possible to get the most 'raw' data as possible or allow a safety range, which honestly I'm still trying to figure out how you plan on getting that probe In the radiator?

Looked back and the only problem with reservour is that it will take the longest to heat and be cooler then what coming from the block as that coolest bypasses the block, goes to heater core/TB heater loop (I think, never fully traced it, someone else needs to fill in the blanks).

Diesel require a lot more attention in terms of how the ECU interprets data. The VW programming does this very good already, but very easy to throw into limp mode, after driving an '05 passage from Florida to Michigan its not fun being limited to ~25HP, especially in the hills.

By the way what year motor is it, out of most of the the years I find that 05 models (unknown for the 1.9L) get the best mileage, just a titch under 50mpg average.

There are some models from '98 and below that still used mechanical speedo, and you can't make a static guage work if it operates off a cable. So make sure it's not a mechanical speedo.

Last edited by Medtactics; 12-15-2016 at 09:07 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Medtactics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2016, 09:16 PM   #42
Medtactics
Medtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2

I also squirm a little thinking of the plastic radiator failing quickly due to increased heat, have spare radiators around and once you get it working I would suggest looking into an full aluminum radiator, AMR still has some instock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #43
Jimmy123
Jimmy123 has a spectacular aura aboutJimmy123 has a spectacular aura aboutJimmy123 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtactics View Post
240 is pushing it with only ~6F @15psi before the radiator is boiling, try 225. Personally I would go with an inline probe as close to the coolant exit point as possible to get the most 'raw' data as possible or allow a safety range, which honestly I'm still trying to figure out how you plan on getting that probe In the radiator?

Looked back and the only problem with reservour is that it will take the longest to heat and be cooler then what coming from the block as that coolest bypasses the block, goes to heater core/TB heater loop (I think, never fully traced it, someone else needs to fill in the blanks).

Diesel require a lot more attention in terms of how the ECU interprets data. The VW programming does this very good already, but very easy to throw into limp mode, after driving an '05 passage from Florida to Michigan its not fun being limited to ~25HP, especially in the hills.

By the way what year motor is it, out of most of the the years I find that 05 models (unknown for the 1.9L) get the best mileage, just a titch under 50mpg average.

There are some models from '98 and below that still used mechanical speedo, and you can't make a static guage work if it operates off a cable. So make sure it's not a mechanical speedo.
I'm not going to put the thermostatic switches inside the radiator, rather I plan on putting them on the front side in between the AC condenser and radiator and running the switches to somewhere convenient to access so I can fine tune them.

The transmission I'm using is an O2A/O2J, it has an electronic VSS not a speedometer cable, so I'm good there.

(You can run an electronic speedo with a cable style trans if you cut the cable right where it comes out of the trans to the speedo, make a bracket to mount an electronic VSS directly above it and shove a rubber hose on to couple them together and make sure it rotates freely. I know that sounds very complicated but I'm the type of guy that would do it. )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jimmy123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jimmy123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jimmy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:02 PM   #44
Medtactics

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy123 View Post
I'm not going to put the thermostatic switches inside the radiator, rather I plan on putting them on the front side in between the AC condenser and radiator and running the switches to somewhere convenient to access so I can fine tune them.

The transmission I'm using is an O2A/O2J, it has an electronic VSS not a speedometer cable, so I'm good there.

(You can run an electronic speedo with a cable style trans if you cut the cable right where it comes out of the trans to the speedo, make a bracket to mount an electronic VSS directly above it and shove a rubber hose on to couple them together and make sure it rotates freely. I know that sounds very complicated but I'm the type of guy that would do it. )
I was talking about the Saturn, not all were digital till '99, so make sure its not cable driven. I already know how convert cable reading to digital speedo, but you can' t convert a mechanical speedo to read digital.

I really recommend putting the probes inline with the coolant hose on the hot side, way to many variables and you will never know what the true Coolant temperature is. I can't stress how critical this is the ECU... Unless there is a temperature sensor on the block already that I don't know about? Is there a senser on the block? And we were just talking about the fan actuator?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #45
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

I found this update on the original Saturn TDI build within this Sixthsphere post .... link >> The Saturn TDI is no more...

Here is the original SaturnFan's post related to the original build >> Saturn with a TDI Diesel.

and the detailed original build post from the TDI Club forum >>Saturn TDI Conversion

(figured I might as well tie it all together if you wanted a light read!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcraigford;

On Tuesday, January 10th, after eight years and over 100k miles of service, the Saturn TDI was officially retired. Over the weekend it was discovered that the car was sitting atop a terminal amount of oil. Without the time or means to diagnose (let alone fix) the issue my father decided that the car had exceeded its useful lifespan. That Sunday a deal was struck up for a 2012 Toyota Prius C and a few days later, with the oil topped off and a few extra quarts on hand, the Saturn TDI took to the road one last time. The dealership selling the Prius accepted what remained of the car as a trade-in.

The Saturn TDI achieved an all time high of 72.3 MPG.

Build Thread: TDIClub - Saturn TDI Conversion

Swap Summary:
1995 Saturn SL2
1997 Volkswagen AHU Turbo Diesel
1997 Volkswagen 02A/CHA 5-Speed Transaxle

Modified Saturn S-Series Engine Cradle
Custom Drivetrain Mounts
Hybrid Axles (Volkswagen Inner/Saturn Outer)
TDI ECU & Wiring Harness
Rocket Chip Stage 2 Chip
Dakota Digital Signal Converters (Speedometer/Tachometer)
Adapted Volkswagen Passat Shifter
Front Mount Intercooler (Modified Saab Item)
Secondary Thermostat (Modified Renault Alliance Item)
Secondary Trunk Mounted Battery
Sachs VR6 Clutch

Exterior Mirror Delete (Custom Inboard Mirrors)
Forward Mounted Headlights
Lower Grill Blockoff
Smooth Wheel Covers
Under-Nose Belly Pan

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 01-13-2017 at 02:57 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #46
Jimmy123
Jimmy123 has a spectacular aura aboutJimmy123 has a spectacular aura aboutJimmy123 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL

Thanks for sending me this information I had no idea and am deeply sad to hear that car is no more. But that also motivates me to get mine done even more.

I am currently in the process of trying to find a complete engine and wiring harness for my swap. As I've listed before I do have a lot of the small parts that I need to make this possible, but I still need the engine, transmission, wiring harness and the car that it will be going into.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jimmy123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #47
Jimmy123

2002 SL

I am currently in the works of obtaining an AHU engine and wiring harness via a user over on TDIclub and should be receiving it within the next week or so. I'll post pictures of everything when it arrives.

I haven't really done anything else towards the project besides trying to get the engine, but that will take me that much closer to getting this project on the road. And once I have it done I'll have the only Saturn TDI on the road, and hopefully the world's most fuel efficient Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #48
Jimmy123

2002 SL

I've purchased a Fumoto oil drain valve for this Saturn TDI project, Part # F106N with the ADP106 adapter so the valve clears the recessed oil plug on the engine. I've been using a Fumoto valve on my 2002 Saturn and my Chevy truck for years now and love how much easier they make changing the oil, no tools required.

Here's a picture of the valve for those who don't know what it is.

This is the adapter to space it out from the oil pan.

And here's what it looks like installed on an engine.

My engine that I purchased is currently in transit via UPS and is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, so hopefully I can have some pictures posted of it once it's in my garage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #49
Jimmy123

2002 SL

I finally got a change to take some pictures of the engine and wiring harness yesterday:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-26-2017, 06:15 PM   #50
Jimmy123

2002 SL

I've also found the serpentine belt setup I'm going to use that will allow me to delete the power steering pump and v-belt while keeping the AC compressor, unlike the previous Saturn TDI conversion.

I still haven't sat down and figured out the logistics of combining the VW AC compressor with the rest of the Saturn AC system, but the AC compressors on both engines are in pretty much the same place, so I can probably just make some adapter lines to connect the VW compressor to the Saturn high and low side lines and leave the rest of the system intact. I would just have to combine the wiring for the low pressure switch, high temp switch and AC button.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #51
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Is that going to bolt directly to the Saturn TAAT? Because I think you had mentioned you will need the matching transmission, right?

Have you tried: www.car-part-com for finding any additional parts you will need from the donor cars?

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 140k - More rust than paint & no leaks
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 181k - 17.2538 @ 77.91mph w/Stock TB
Mechanic: I can't fix stupid, but I can fix what stupid does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #52
Jimmy123

2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
Is that going to bolt directly to the Saturn TAAT? Because I think you had mentioned you will need the matching transmission, right?

Have you tried: www.car-part-com for finding any additional parts you will need from the donor cars?

No I'll be using the factory VW MK3 transaxle (Code CTN). I'll also have to swap the shift tower on it with one out of an MK4 transmission in order to use the MK4 shifter I've already bought. It is a common swap done on these transmissions. Here are some pictures of the transmission I need:

I'm going to use the Saturn clutch slave and master cylinders and have an adapter machined like the one pictured below in order to mount the slave cylinder to the VW transmission:

I'm also fabricating an adjustable clutch pedal as was done on the previous swap to keep the clutch pedal from going too far to the floor.

I've already purchased the fittings and a steel braided line to link the clutch slave and master cylinders because the factory Saturn lines won't work in my application:

I tried clicking the link you provided but it doesn't work. I'm assuming you meant : http://www.car-part.com/

Last edited by Jimmy123; 03-04-2017 at 02:03 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-04-2017, 06:07 PM   #53
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Jimmy123, will this diesel conversion be a problem with emissions inspection in your state?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #54
Jimmy123

2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Jimmy123, will this diesel conversion be a problem with emissions inspection in your state?
No, in my state (West Virginia) we have an annual state inspection, but they do not check the emissions as part of the inspection. It is a safety focused inspection only, and there are no laws as far as vehicle emissions go. I actually have my state inspection license and know all the laws regarding what will pass and what won't, so I'll make sure the car is 100% legal before I take it in for a sticker.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #55
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

That is pretty awesome!. Man, that bell housing looks fairly similar to a Saturn bell housing pattern, from a distance, though.

Just keep an eye on oil consumption, as the last Saturn TDi went kaput from excessive oil leaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #56
Jimmy123

2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
That is pretty awesome!. Man, that bell housing looks fairly similar to a Saturn bell housing pattern, from a distance, though.

Just keep an eye on oil consumption, as the last Saturn TDI went kaput from excessive oil leaks.
Thank you very much!!! I honestly haven't checked how close the two transmissions are, and I would if I had a spare Saturn 5 speed tranny laying around, but I am sure they are very close. I'm really enjoying this conversion and figuring out all the little things to make it work and have it exactly as I want it. I have been drawing up diagrams for combining the VW A/C compressor with the Saturn HVAC system, but I think I have it pretty much figured out and I'll be posting it on here and over on TDIclub soon, once I do more research into the VW system.

And trust me, I am very particular about my vehicles and check all my fluids once a week religiously, and I'll keep an extra eye on it while I'm getting used to the car, to gauge how much oil it burns/leaks and proceed accordingly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-11-2017, 08:55 PM   #57
Jimmy123

2002 SL

Today I ordered an ALH 120A alternator from Autozone (Part# DLG12048) for this project, so I'm one step closer to getting the engine completed. Here are the pictures from Autozone's website:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-18-2017, 03:01 PM   #58
Jimmy123

2002 SL

I removed the power steering pump and the front and side mounting brackets the other day and the upper bolt on the front bracket (to the left of the balancer) snapped off at the head. Hopefully I can just soak it in penetrating oil for a few days and break it loose with a pair of vice grips, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it later.

My new alternator came in the mail today, along with new mounting bolts, so one day this week I'll get it installed on the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-24-2017, 01:17 AM   #59
Saturn Night

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy123 View Post
I removed the power steering pump and the front and side mounting brackets the other day and the upper bolt on the front bracket (to the left of the balancer) snapped off at the head. Hopefully I can just soak it in penetrating oil for a few days and break it loose with a pair of vice grips, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it later.

My new alternator came in the mail today, along with new mounting bolts, so one day this week I'll get it installed on the engine.
You could always try a stud extractor. My boss has one, that has teeth similar to a pipe wrench and it attaches to a 3/8" drive ratchet. It made quick work of my broken Camaro exhaust manifold studs. Saved me from having to drill and tap my cylinder heads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #60
Jimmy123

2002 SL

Sorry it has been so long since this thread was updated, going through some life changes at the moment and this project has been put on hold for the time being. Still have all the parts as before, just haven't purchased anything new for awhile.

Need to take a day and go through the wiring harness and label everything like I've been planning to do for the last several months, but I'm still very interested in seeing this project through to completion. Can't afford to spend the money on it right now, so I need to go through and do what I can with what I have.

Just wanted everyone who's interested to know that I haven't forgotten about this project or given up on it, life has just gotten in the way like it sometimes does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!