SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2016, 05:20 PM   #1
1993 is on a distinguished road

Default Coolant leak at plastic intake..help and dremel?

I have a 2001 SC2 and noticed when i cold start the car, it will drip a puddle of coolant under the car but then it QUITS dripping after the engine warms up. I traced the leak back to the plastic intake on the end that has the plastic heater hose nipple and read that area gives leak issues. Where is it that it cracks because this seems like its coming from the gasket between the manifold and head..?
Anyways, no way im taking that intake off to do the metal nipple conversion. I remember someone talking on here about leaving it on the car and using a dremel..if your here still, or anyone thats done it that way, please let me know how you did it as i am about to tackle it. I can get to it pretty well after removing the bracket beside the EGR and have a straight shot at it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #2
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Coolant leak at plastic intake..help and dremel?

It sounds like you quite possibly have a 1st design intake gasket on your car. All of the 2000 model year dohc engines and some of the 2001 model year up to a certain VIN have an intake gasket that was prone to leaking. Usually it shows the same conditions your car is exhibiting. When the engine is cold, it leaks some and then when the engine is warm it stops leaking. The old gasket is a one piece design and the new one is a two piece design. You would be very wise to get a new gasket and the repair kit necessary to replace the plastic tube on the manifold that cracks and causes a leak. Don't be intimidated by taking the manifold off, it's actually very easy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesl2 View Post
It sounds like you quite possibly have a 1st design intake gasket on your car. All of the 2000 model year dohc engines and some of the 2001 model year up to a certain VIN have an intake gasket that was prone to leaking. Usually it shows the same conditions your car is exhibiting. When the engine is cold, it leaks some and then when the engine is warm it stops leaking. The old gasket is a one piece design and the new one is a two piece design. You would be very wise to get a new gasket and the repair kit necessary to replace the plastic tube on the manifold that cracks and causes a leak. Don't be intimidated by taking the manifold off, it's actually very easy.
Huh?? it sure doesnt look easy...explain

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #4
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
Huh?? it sure doesnt look easy...explain
What is easy for some (running a 5:00 mile), isn't easy for others.

Seriously, I don't think it is easy either. It MAY be easy, but very time consuming.

Though, I did learn something new. This only applies to 2000 and early 2001 DOHC models? Nice to know, since I have a 2002.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 07/25/18: 229,023 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:18 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSlKmjSVuK4
Video 2.1 (carsaturn p1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g4fX_MslJE
Video 2.2 (carsaturn p2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ESs2OAp0rs
Video 3 (leaves IM installed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy2ztwi8Tao

It's a tight fit and tricky to not nick the head while cutting (hence why removing the IM is reccomended...).

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #6

This is the one i want to do. Can i use a dremel and cut off that end of the plastic intake without having to remove it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blgRq_BXv8s

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993's Reputation
Old 11-20-2016, 04:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
This is the one i want to do. Can i use a dremel and cut off that end of the plastic intake without having to remove it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blgRq_BXv8s
anyone? Also, if i can do this, how do i cut through the gasket, or is the gasket separate at that coolant end?
also, what is the flexible metal pipe for that is under the leaky area?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intake.jpg (16.2 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by 1993; 11-20-2016 at 04:20 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993's Reputation
Old 11-20-2016, 05:03 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Lop it off with the dremel. Try not to nick the flange area on the head because it won't be fun trying to get it to seal afterward. A mini hack saw may work too, but it'll be slow.

Post #11: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180889
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy2ztwi8Tao

You'll just have to cut a bit more of the flat part out of the way than the video shows, as well as actually cut all the way to the head, if the crack isn't nice like his is (though I'd cut off the cracked part, and debur the end before sliding the hose further on to prevent broken bits from clogging the system).

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Lop it off with the dremel. Try not to nick the flange area on the head because it won't be fun trying to get it to seal afterward. A mini hack saw may work too, but it'll be slow.

You'll just have to cut a bit more of the flat part out of the way than the video shows, as well as actually cut all the way to the head, if the crack isn't nice like his is (though I'd cut off the cracked part, and debur the end before sliding the hose further on to prevent broken bits from clogging the system).
Mine isnt cracked on the pipe like his is, its leaking between the plastic manifold and the head, but i figure if i have to mess with it, i may as well do the metal pipe mod so i wont have to later..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993's Reputation
Old 11-20-2016, 10:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post

YES! post #11 that you posted above is how i want to do it. Can i still do it if it indeed does have the 1st design that bluesl2 mentioned above?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993's Reputation
Old 11-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #11

????
anyone

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993's Reputation