SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2016, 10:16 PM   #1
nickroa95
nickroa95 is a jewel in the roughnickroa95 is a jewel in the roughnickroa95 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Dizzy HELP: 03 Ion Clutch Pedal Switch Wiring

Hey guys, I have an 03 QC that I am swapping transmissions on. I am making it 5-speed manual from the Vti it came with. So far everything looks good but I am trying to figure out where the two wires for the clutch pedal/neutral safety switch go. One is yellow and one is pink - the yellow I was able to trace back to a wiring harness underneath the door trim on the driver's side. The pink wire, however, seems to go on forever! It goes through behind the steering wheel, behind the radio, and seems to keep on going! I had suspicion it led to the BCM but checking for continuity with a voltmeter says otherwise. It's just this one switch that is driving me insane! I've looked for wiring diagrams everywhere online and on the forum and can't find anything. Anyone here care to share their knowledge or at least know where I could find out more information?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nickroa95's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nickroa95 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nickroa95 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2016, 10:41 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: HELP: 03 Ion Clutch Pedal Switch Wiring

Try http://workshop-manuals.com/. If you cannot find wiring diagrams there, I might be able to find them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:54 PM   #3
nickroa95
nickroa95 is a jewel in the roughnickroa95 is a jewel in the roughnickroa95 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Woah, that's a huge load of help. Thank you! However, all I found from this is that the pink wire I am referring to is responsible for "ignition 1 voltage." Would you happen to know where exactly this wire might be leading to?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nickroa95 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2016, 02:53 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Does this help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '03 Ion starting ckt.jpg (138.1 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #5
nickroa95

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

That's perfect! So it connects somewhere with the cruise control wiring? Because the wiring harness that goes to the back of the steering wheel als has a pink wire I noticed... I'll have to make a run to the JY soon and check for continuity between the two.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Since you're creating a major modification, swapping from cvt to manual, the cvt doesn't have a clutch safety switch and uses the Park/Neutral safety switch to do the same, prevent starting if not in neutral or park. Manual xmission wired in safety, using the clutch pedal and switch configuration to allow the same start prevention, presuming all drivers press the clutch pedal to the floor while ensuring the shift lever is in neutral. Having the switch close (to allow starting) with the clutch pedal to the floor doubles the safety margin. You'll have to be creative in wiring up this clutch safety switch if the fuse box doesn't have wiring to accommodate this setup. Exploring the wiring harness by removing the wire loom may reveal extra wires. Looking under the brake pedal area may show extra wiring tucked away in the harnesses.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
waiter21
waiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 2.2L

On my Vue, they get spliced into the Yellow and Purple starter wire. This is a large wire that runs from the ignition switch and goes to the starter.

Yours may or may not be similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StarterSwitchCkt.jpg (113.2 KB, 4 views)

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #8
nickroa95

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Ahh that's interesting. Looking at the diagram provided by fdryer, it appears that my wiring might indeed be different but I have no idea for sure. Did you have to mess with the wiring going to the BCM at all with your tranny swap?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2016, 03:46 PM   #9
nickroa95

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

And fdryer, I have acquired both then brake and clutch pedal and the switch for the brake pedal is very identical, if not the same, as the one for the auto. I have pulled out the individual switch and sensor for the clutch - it's just one single switch with a yellow switch leading to the underneath plastic trim on the drivers side. The pink just went on and on and on to the right side - giving me my difficulty in finding its final location

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2016, 05:38 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Examine the wiring diagram in post#4 - there are two circuits in the drawing. One I marked in red and next to it is your circuit for automatic xmission. The drawing shows both circuits with one used for each configuration, manual or auto. The pink wire is either the one from the Park/Neutral switch to the 10 amp Ignition 11 fuse or the 7.5 amp cruise fuse. This wire should be connected to the clutch safety switch. All you're doing is using this wire from the disconnected Park/Neutral safety switch that's no longer used and connecting it to the clutch switch. The yellow wire is connected to the other side. !2 volts flows thru either pink wire to either switch and comes out on the yellow wire that supplies power to the PCM CONT Relay. This relay is controlled by the pcm (a switched ground signal) when the ignition switch is turned to START where the pcm sends a ground signal to the PCM CONT Relay to power the coil. The coil pulls a set of contacts close to send battery power to the starter to initiate starting.

When I suggested creating new wiring, I wasn't looking at what's already there in the drawing. You can simply use the existing pink wire and connect it to the clutch switch. Prior to this, a test should reveal 12v on this wire only when the ignition switch is turned on, supplying one side of the PCM CONT Relay with 12 volts. When the ignition switch is turned to the START position, a ground signal is sent from the pcm to the relay to power it and allow the starter to operate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #11
nickroa95

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Examine the wiring diagram in post#4 - there are two circuits in the drawing. One I marked in red and next to it is your circuit for automatic xmission. The drawing shows both circuits with one used for each configuration, manual or auto. The pink wire is either the one from the Park/Neutral switch to the 10 amp Ignition 11 fuse or the 7.5 amp cruise fuse. This wire should be connected to the clutch safety switch. All you're doing is using this wire from the disconnected Park/Neutral safety switch that's no longer used and connecting it to the clutch switch. The yellow wire is connected to the other side. !2 volts flows thru either pink wire to either switch and comes out on the yellow wire that supplies power to the PCM CONT Relay. This relay is controlled by the pcm (a switched ground signal) when the ignition switch is turned to START where the pcm sends a ground signal to the PCM CONT Relay to power the coil. The coil pulls a set of contacts close to send battery power to the starter to initiate starting.

When I suggested creating new wiring, I wasn't looking at what's already there in the drawing. You can simply use the existing pink wire and connect it to the clutch switch. Prior to this, a test should reveal 12v on this wire only when the ignition switch is turned on, supplying one side of the PCM CONT Relay with 12 volts. When the ignition switch is turned to the START position, a ground signal is sent from the pcm to the relay to power it and allow the starter to operate.
Wow, you guys are amazing! However, I cannot simply take the unused pink wire and splice it into the pink wire coming from the sensor, now can I? Wouldn't that lead the sensor to the Ignition 11 fuse as opposed to the cruise fuse its ideally supposed to go to?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2016, 11:04 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Study the wiring diagram below. Its marked and modified to allow replacing the Park/Neutral safety switch with a clutch safety switch. Pink wire from the 10 amp Ignition Fuse 11 terminal under the fuse box run to one side of the clutch switch and the yellow wire from the Park/Neutral safety switch connected to the other terminal on the clutch safety switch. In effect, take the two wires from the Park/Neutral safety switch and simply connect them to the clutch switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg modified starting circuit.jpg (139.2 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2016, 11:36 PM   #13
nickroa95

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Study the wiring diagram below. Its marked and modified to allow replacing the Park/Neutral safety switch with a clutch safety switch. Pink wire from the 10 amp Ignition Fuse 11 terminal under the fuse box run to one side of the clutch switch and the yellow wire from the Park/Neutral safety switch connected to the other terminal on the clutch safety switch. In effect, take the two wires from the Park/Neutral safety switch and simply connect them to the clutch switch.
Okay I understand but what I'm trying to say is if the AUTO pink wire goes to ignition 11, and the MANUAL pink wire is meant to go to the cruise fuse, won't connecting the two pink wires from the switch + AUTO pink wire lead that to the ignition 11 location? Isn't it supposed to go to the cruise fuse? Or is this completely irrelevant?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2016, 03:07 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Service manuals with information are used by dealer techs trained for servicing Saturns to allow the best trained people how service Saturns. Every service manual has warnings in bold print stating material used are written for GM technicians. Diyers using these manuals may misinterpret information. You're misinterpreting information given. The wiring diagrams show two circuits combined into one drawing with notations (subtle). Your auto may not have wiring for the clutch safety switch. Having the auto setup, you have a pink wire from the ignition fuse and a yellow wire going to the starter control relay. If your Ion is a manual, wiring would be from the cruise control fuse and still the same yellow wire going to the relay. Pink and yellow wire. Both circuits shown in one drawing for those familiar with two different vehicles. Although it may seem confusing now, think it over carefully. The vehicle needs power to the starter control relay ( not the starter solenoid) first, then when you turn the ignition switch to START, a signal is sent to the ecm where the ecm sends a ground signal to the start control relay. The relay powers up and closes a set of heavy duty electrical contacts to send 12v to the starter solenoid to begin starter operation. Whether the 12v comes from the ignition or cc fuse doesn't matter. The pink wire supplies 12v to the START Control Relay. Just use the pink and yellow wires from the park/neutral safety switch. It doesn't get any easier. If you're in doubt, show the wiring diagrams to someone familiar with car electrical systems related to starting circuits. He/she may be able to understand this better and explain or show you how this works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2016, 07:19 PM   #15
nickroa95

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Ah okay. Well I really apologize for coming off as ignorant in the subject. So the 12v is sent through the PINK park/neutral wire to the switch, correct? I will still be able to use my switch to start up the car as I usually would, right? I really appreciate the help, fdryer

Last edited by nickroa95; 11-19-2016 at 07:30 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #16
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Examine the Park/Neutral switch wiring for two matching color coded wires. Don't assume. When you find them, test the pink wire for 12 volts - voltage will be there only when the ignition switch is turned to the ACC or RUN position. With ignition off, the pink wire should not have 12 volts. This pink wire can be transferred to the clutch switch along with the yellow wire.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2016, 08:45 PM   #17
nickroa95

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Ahh okay that makes perfect sense now. So once 12v is active in the wire it goes to the sensor and once I press the clutch pedal and press down on the switch, the 12v transfer to the yellow wire and allow for a start up, correct?

And last question, should I use both the yellow/pink wires already on the car amor just the pink and have the yellow rewired in? It'll be ideal to just use the yellow/pink wires already on the car as they will provide the same, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2016, 09:53 PM   #18
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickroa95 View Post
Ahh okay that makes perfect sense now. So once 12v is active in the wire it goes to the sensor and once I press the clutch pedal and press down on the switch, the 12v transfer to the yellow wire and allow for a start up, correct?
Yes, kind of. Be aware that Ions do not use conventional starting like most cars where the ignition switch sends 12 volts to the starter solenoid to begin the starting sequence. Ions are some the first cars to use 'remote' starting where turning the ignition switch to start actually sends a START command to the ecm and the ecm sends a command (ground signal) to a relay that sends 12 volts to the starter solenoid - the beginnings of push button starting. Your Ion has this capability if you want to add push button starting. All you're doing is transferring two wires from the p/n switch to the clutch switch; pushing the clutch pedal down to activate the switch to allow 12 volts to the start control relay. Not pushing the clutch pedal down won't activate the switch, preventing the relay from having 12 volts resulting in no power being fed from the relay to the starter - turning the ignition switch to START results in silence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickroa95 View Post
And last question, should I use both the yellow/pink wires already on the car amor just the pink and have the yellow rewired in? It'll be ideal to just use the yellow/pink wires already on the car as they will provide the same, right?
Examine wiring and answer the question yourself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2016, 09:58 PM   #19
nickroa95

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Sounds good, thanks a bunch! +1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #20
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Does this help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2003 Saturn ION xmission components-1.jpg (108.7 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!