SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
fastwoman
fastwoman is on a distinguished road

Default Parting is such sweet sorrow!

Hi everyone,

I just got a notice from SaturnFans in my email. Shoot, I don't even own my Saturn anymore, and I haven't been here in a long time. I probably won't be back after this more formal "goodbye."

I'm one of the original Saturn buyers. I bought my 1992 SL2 brand spanking new, off the lot at Saturn of Austin (Texas). It was a big investment for my new family. I was very impressed with the safety features, and that meant a lot for my little ones. We kept driving the Saturn through thick and thin. It performed flawlessly the entire time -- solid as a rock.

Sadly, the car developed a slow coolant leak last year. Try as we might, we just couldn't find it. I was fearful of a head gasket problem that might have been blowing coolant out of the tank under hard acceleration. (Just speculation. Hard to tell.) I would have continued driving the car until I could figure out what the problem was, but another problem hit -- cancer. The Saturn was still our main car, and we had to rely on it to make regular road trips (10 hr round trip) for treatments. With considerable sadness, we made the decision that we needed something more modern. We bought a 2010 Mazda CX-7 for our road warrior. (We love it.)

The man who bought our Saturn really loved it. It still looked pretty sharp, and its interior was in great shape. The original alloy wheels looked a bit ratty (corroded from road salt), but that's all. The car ran like a top. He got it for high book value, but it was probably in better shape than most cars of that year. I did warn him about the coolant issue and told him everything I knew about it. I wanted to be as honest with him as the Saturn people have been with me throughout the years.

I must say that through 24 years of ownership (almost drove the car until it was officially an antique!), I was one of Saturn's biggest fans. Saturn was a fundamentally decent and honest company, and I was proud to be part of their family. Interestingly, our local Mazda dealer used to be the local Saturn dealer, before the brand was discontinued. That seems to be an ongoing aspect of their pedigree.

Anyway, I wanted to thank everyone here for giving me some occasional advice about my SL2. I never had much trouble with it, so I didn't have much occasion to visit this forum. Still, you were here for me when I needed a hand. I very much appreciate that!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fastwoman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fastwoman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fastwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
hoosierrun
hoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nice

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Parting is such sweet sorrow!

24 years of ownership is simply amazing!
Best of luck with the new Mazda.

John.... 2006 Saturn Vue, 2.2, 186,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoosierrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoosierrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote