SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2016, 05:13 AM   #1
kgturnbull21
kgturnbull21 is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Red Line
Default Camshaft Position Sensor & Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Codes

2007 Vue 3.5L FWD - 200,000 miles
Over the past year I've had a number of problems. I'm listing them all for context, but don't really think they are all related.

Alternator and battery died ~1 year ago. Replaced both. Shortly after the weather started cooling down and when starting in cold weather I would get over 14 volts and all the electronics would shut off. I found that if I let it run for a few minutes the voltage went down and everything operated properly. After a month of limping along I narrowed it down to the alternator.
I had the alternator replaced while I was having the timing belt replaced. After replacing the alternator my high voltage went away.

Shortly after having the timing belt replaced when I got on the gas (~3k rpm) I would lose engine power. If I let off of the accelerator quick enough the car would continue running. If I stayed on the accelerator the car would die, but would restart. Either way the check engine light came on (p0341). If I let it idle for a few minutes or drive around easy a little it would run 100% normal after that. Took it back and had the guy to have him check timing belt again. He didn't find anything wrong. Over the next few months I drove the car I intermittently got P0420 and P0385 & P0386 in addition to P0341.

Finally broke down and tried to fix it myself. I decided to replace the camshaft sensor to see if that would fix the P0341 and while inspecting the harness to the crankshaft position sensor for P0385 & 386 I discovered a connector not completely plugged. I was hoping that the P0420 would go away once I fixed the other 2 issues.

The connector did fix the P0385 & 386. Replacing the camshaft sensor didn't fix the P0341. Although it seems improved. I drove around for about 100 miles with no code. Started it up and accelerated (~3-4k rpm) and lost engine power again. Cleared code and drove around for another 40 miles with no code. I'm still getting the P0420 after driving for about 50 miles. Where do I go from here?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kgturnbull21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kgturnbull21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kgturnbull21 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2016, 05:54 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Camshaft Position Sensor & Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Codes

You'll find similar issues with alternator problems causing higher than normal voltages as a result of quirks in Vue replacement parts by searching within these forums.

One very good site for background info on error codes is here, including defining P0341; https://www.obd-codes.com/p0341.

When you state losing power, do you mean seeing the reduced power indicator or feel and hear loss of engine power? If it's the former, it may need related to the drive by wire system. If the latter, there are some things to check.

Reduced power mode is something causing one of three components to falter - ecm, throttle or pedal. The reduced power mode indicator is a default program to prevent an engine runaway and deliberately reduce power to around 15%, enough to limp home or get off the road to make the emergency call.

Losing power while accelerating may be from loss of fuel pressure, disintegrating catalytic converter blocking exhaust flow or other unusual circumstances. At 200k miles, aging parts long relied on may now be worn out and needs to be examined.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #3
kgturnbull21
kgturnbull21 is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Camshaft Position Sensor & Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Codes

I have not seen the reduced power indicator. Maybe losing power isn't the best way to describe it. It's more the feeling of losing power like a "sputtering." As I mentioned earlier if I let off the accelerator the engine stops "sputtering" and will continue to run if I am gentle on the throttle. If I stay on the throttle the engine will die.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kgturnbull21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kgturnbull21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kgturnbull21 is offline   Reply With Quote