SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2016, 01:08 PM   #1
Mkharris
Mkharris is on a distinguished road

Default New Saturn Owner Need Help

We just bought an 02 Saturn Vue 3.0L V6 engine. We were told it needed an idling sensor. Well, after doig research we cleaned the throttle body, MAF, and air filter. Because apparently there is no idling sensor on this model. After removing that big black plastic air flow thing (i dont know terms sorry) We noticed a crack on the metal right below it. I dont know what this part is called but i need to know if thos can be repaired easy with JB weld or something else. It is sucking in air majorly. Now the car drives fine, but it idles at 300 rpm. It doesnt cut off though. Please help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mkharris's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mkharris reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mkharris is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
Mkharris

Default Re: New Saturn Owner Need Help

Here is a picture of the area im talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14772466171161789318916.jpg (146.3 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mkharris reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2016, 01:34 PM   #3
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

WHere's the crack? Idon't see it.

W/o knowing more, I'd say you could try the JB, or similar quick setting high temp epoxy, but it would be a bandaid fix , only, and not likely to last without stop drilling the crack( where is it again?) or getting it welded up or replacing the intake mainfold entirely.
You could also do other maint- like changing the sparkplugs which are only accessed by removal of same.https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=partne...intake%20leaks

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #4
Mkharris

The crack wasnt shown in the picture i took. Its under that black casing. I circled the diagram of where the crack is. Its in red. You can hear the air getting sucked in when you turn it on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161023_162613.jpg (79.7 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2016, 03:48 PM   #5
Mkharris

What i dont get is that the vehicle runs great. It just idles really rough. It acts like it wants to cut off but doesnt. I dont want to have to put $1000 into this vehicle. Im really hoping for a fix we can do ourselves. We have 3 young kids and it was bought to take them to and from school. Only to get taken advantage of by the seller. We should have known better. If someone could help us out, we would forever be greatful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2016, 03:50 PM   #6
Mkharris

If I continue to drive as is, will it ruin the engine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

It won't help it any.

Try your patch fix with the JB. Or search the JY's for replacement part.

What's that part made of? Get a compatible epoxy.. Prep it good.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:57 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

According to service manual descriptions, the black plastic is described as the intake manifold top cover and is replaceable. You state its black plastic so its probably a high temperature molded plastic piece. As suggested, JB Weld would be a good epoxy repair with high temperature resistance. Specs; 500F/260C, maximum temperature 600F/316C for ten minutes. Cleaning the area of grease, oil and fuel to prepare it for epoxy helps. If a crack is wide, allowing epoxy to seep thru like thick molasses, temporarily scotch taping one side will hold slow setting epoxy to harden in an hour or two, fully harden overnight. The peel off tape. In general, the longer it takes for epoxy to harden the higher strength it has. As a filler material, it perfect for filling in cracks and smeared over a little to bond over a larger area adjacent to the crack. If the crack is small and won't allow epoxy to seep thru, enlarge the crack so it can flow thru for more surface area to bond on both sides.

In a pinch, silicone caulking can be used too as this remains flexible and has high temperature resistance.

The extra air can ruin an engine since its not monitored/metered thru the air intake system; all filtered air must flow thru the mass air flow sensor (MAF) so the EFI system can determine correct air/fuel mixtures. Any air leak, a vacuum, that doesn't go thru the maf sensor automatically creates a lean fuel mixture. Lean mixtures can result in engine damage the EFI system may not be able to compensate for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imtc.jpg (198.8 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by fdryer; 10-23-2016 at 06:02 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote