SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2016, 02:34 AM   #1
dbinteract
dbinteract is on a distinguished road

Default 2002 l300 leaking, think its radiator

Hello all,

My 2002 l300 has been having cooling leaks. First, the heater core, was leaking, I replaced that. Now I am seeing a leak dripping from the front near the radiator. I cannot see anything on any hoses, so I am thinking its the radiator. But I wanted to post a quick photo and link to a video of the leak, to see if anyone else has had a similar issue and has any insight as to what else to look at before I order a radiator and have it replaced.

thanks,

db
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SaturnLeak2.jpg (120.2 KB, 11 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dbinteract's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dbinteract reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dbinteract is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2016, 10:31 AM   #2
flyingj
Advanced Member
flyingj will become famous soon enoughflyingj will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2002 l300 leaking, think its radiator

When the coolant was flushed/changed, were the hoses replaced? They should have been.

They won't last forever, and it could just be a hose leaking where it connects to the engine block. You may be lucky and just need to tighten the connection or you may be looking at replacing the hoses.

2001 L-200 2.2l Mileage: 140,000
DOB: 05/08/01 Date Acquired: 07/01/07

2006 Vue 3.5L AWD Mileage: 130,000
DOB: 08/24/05 Date Acquired: 12/15/06

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flyingj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flyingj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flyingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The attached picture might lead one to think that the leak is away from the plastic tanks and more inward at the radiator core. I suspect that the leak is emmanates from a location closer to the radiator's side tank - meaning something as simple as a loosened hose clamp could be the source of the problem as previously suggested by flyingj - and that fluid is drifting along the frame (which is a typical thing to see).

Whatever the case may be, as an outsider looking in virtually, I wouldn't take anything for granted. Go to a dealership, or find an independent mechanic who has an adapter to fit our coolant recovery tanks, and have the system pressure tested. This is the "sure-fire" way to verify where your leak is coming from.

While it may not have had a direct impact on the leak at issue here, what is the maintenance history of this car regarding your cooling system? At 100K miles all hoses and thermostat are to be replaced, and the system is supposed to be flushed and refilled with fresh antifreeze.

276,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:38 PM   #4
dbinteract
dbinteract is on a distinguished road

Thank you both..

I have looked and I cannot see anything running down from hoses, but I will investigate again... there is not a lot of room to really see whats going on... I think the hoses may be the culprit, but I will have a mechanic take a look.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dbinteract's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dbinteract reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dbinteract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:23 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

When I submitted my previous post my last edits didn't go through because I'd exceeded the 15 minute editing period. So here are some other possibilities about the leak:

1) It could be at the glued joint between the tank and the core;
2) there may be a crack in the tank;
3) there may be a hole in one of the tubes within the core.

I certainly understand the difficulty in being able to see where the leak may emanate from. Cramped quarters are an issue with the V6 in the L Series engine compartment.

276,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote