SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2016, 08:29 PM   #1
xdarkxfirex
xdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura aboutxdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura aboutxdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura about

Default Random "Low Beam" Messages

I started getting them about 2 months ago. One bulb would come on and off on its own at different times, so I replaced it with a philips bulb off amazon. Today I got the message again, and the bulb still works. I havent replaced the other side since its a major pain, but I plan on doing it soon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xdarkxfirex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xdarkxfirex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
Action Jackson
Action Jackson is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Random "Low Beam" Messages

Check that the bulb is firmly seated and clipped in. And make sure the connectors are firmly connected too. I've had that message briefly before.

I actually have my HiR bulbs that I haven't put up for sale yet.

2016 Honda Fit EX CVT
2008 Saturn Astra XR 5spd (traded)
2000 Acura Integra GS 5spd (SOLD)
2003 Mazda Protege5 5spd (RIP)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Action Jackson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Action Jackson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:40 PM   #3
xdarkxfirex
xdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura aboutxdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura aboutxdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura about

I get the same message on and off. My other bulbs where white bulbs, and they werent burnt. One was just on and off when it wanted. I can get the message, turn off the bulbs and back on and it will go away. Maybe these cars only work well with a certain bulb? I remember seeing a thread about it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help xdarkxfirex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
xdarkxfirex

I tested the wiring harness at the bulbs and they are fine. I still keep getting that message.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
romanster
romanster will become famous soon enough

Do both bulbs stay lit when the Low Beam message comes up?
Do you have the basic info display screen, or the GID? I've had both screens, but I can't remember if the basic screen tells you which side has the Low Beam error. The GID will show Low Beam Right or Left with a neat lil graphic.

Have you tried swapping the bulbs from one side to the other, and making sure they are connected securely? What are the specs on the bulb you bought? Are they still rated at 50W consumption? Sounds fine if they were Philips, but confirm this. Even when I had cheapo blue tinted 9005 halogen bulbs (before I knew better), there were no errors displayed.

Astra XR3 white
|Vauxhall VXR exterior conversion
|2010+ emblems
|Insignia VXR 18" rep wheels, Eibach SportLines
|BiXenon projector retrofit
|Blue interior LED conversion, OPC wheel/shifter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to romanster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help romanster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
romanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Personal experience and may or may not occur to others using stock OEM headlights - my low beams are used for daytime running lights and run electrically in series in DRL mode but switch back to parallel wiring for nighttime driving. My DRL indicator occasionally blinked and went away. This occurred after about 8 yrs of ownership. At ten years I decided to try Sylvania's Ultra Star(?). Upon removing the original headlights, I discovered each filament must have split and rewelded itself to continue working. I'm guessing at the moment one lamp burned out while in DRL mode (in a series circuit that results in an open circuit) both lights went off and the DRL circuit alerted me to it by blinking the DRL indicator. Unaware of this, I ignored it as both low beams were fine during nighttime driving. I did examine them at one time or another but they were fine whether in DRL mode or night driving. In theory, if DRL lights are wired in series (GM's unique way to use halogen lamps in DRL mode) and one lamp burned out, both lights turn off. In daytime its not a problem and no one would notice anything unusual unless getting out and examining both lights. At night when wiring is switched back to parallel mode, full power is provided to each low beam. A burned out light would be obvious. My low beams continued to work after ten years of ownership.

One would have to remove each lamp, presuming they're used in DRL mode, to examine the filament for evidence of splitting and rewelding itself to prove a hypothetical line of thought.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:10 PM   #7
xdarkxfirex

When I get the low beam message, either one of the lights is off. Usually the passenger side. Flicking the switch on and off a few times will put it back on. The ones I had on were Philips 9005PRB2 from amazon. I have returned them, but they are rated at 65w. I put on my old tinted ones that came with the car, called biolight

Last edited by xdarkxfirex; 11-03-2016 at 09:16 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #8
xdarkxfirex

I think I have found the flaw. The astra has loose pin connectors, and a harness without a rubber seal on it. I noticed if you wiggle it will short the connection. What I did for now is roll up some electric tape and stuff it into the pins, and plug the bulb, and wrap tape around it and the bulb. There is too much play in it. The astra doesnt even have a fuse or relay for headlights. The fuse resets when you shut off the car. Doesnt even seem to have a ground wire on the harness.

What I did was order two 9005 ceramic connectors and will likely install it in the future

REWARD EXCELLENCE!