SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2016, 05:08 PM   #1
scintilla
scintilla is on a distinguished road

Mad 2002 SL2 will not start - HELP!

My 2002 SL2 (automatic transmission) won't start. The car lost engine power while driving on the freeway and wouldn't respond to additional accelerator pedal input. The tachometer went to zero and the instrument panel lights and headlights dimmed. The engine continued to run until pulled off the road and shut down, where the car would not start again.

Here is what I know so far:

Fuses are good. I pulled and tested continuity on every fuse in both the interior and engine compartment fuse boxes.

Battery is good. There is enough voltage to operate all accessories and to crank the engine.

Starter is good. As said above, the engine will crank, and it cranks strong.

Fuel pressure is good. The fuel pump operates. I relieved fuel pressure at the fuel rail schrader valve and got pressure again when putting the key in the on position.

No DTC codes pulled from the PCM with my scan tool.

NO SPARK. I pulled the plug wires off the ignition coils in pairs (4-1 and 2-3, alternately) and had the engine cranked. No spark arc between the towers on either coil.

Crankshaft position sensor SEEMS good. I pulled the sensor this afternoon and checked resistance. The reading stayed around 833 ohms. I'm only able to perform a static test of the CPS (no boiling water or banging test) because my multimeter leads suck. Also, when cranking the engine with a scan tool plugged in, I get a reading of around 250 RPM. Notably, the car's tach didn't move while cranking, just the scan tool reading.

I'm about to pull the ignition module off the car to take into Autozone, who says they can test it, but I thought I'd consult the braintrust here. So many of the other posts here have helped me with things to test and ways of testing them, but I'm running into a wall. I really hoped the CPS would be the culprit. I don't want to start throwing money and parts at the problem, as money is incredibly tight right now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scintilla's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scintilla reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scintilla is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2016, 09:15 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2002 SL2 will not start - HELP!

1-Check for blown fuses, engine and console panels.

2-Remove spark plugs and examine them. With several failed starting attempts, plugs should be wreaking of fuel. This is a clue to whether or not injectors are operating (blown injector fuse) or the pcm failed to run correctly.

A spark test says one thing about the ignition system and whether or not the pcm is operating.

The crank sensor supplies precise timing signals to the pcm. Failing to do this, the pcm cannot turn on the fuel pump, cannot run the ignition system to generate spark and cannot pulse injectors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote