SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
74hoff
74hoff is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2004 VUE 2.2L
Default BCM or ground Problem?

I've read many of the threads here, and many descriptions come close to the problem I have, but I'd appreciate some help troubleshooting my specific problem. Here is what I've been through the past few weeks:
1) Took my 2002 Saturn L200 to shop when service engine soon light came on along with the ABS light, and the airbag light; diagnosis was a bcm code - got three estimates $900 from that place; then $750, then $550. HA!
2) I was about to give the green light to replace the bcm, but then the weather got cool (and moist) and the lights all disappeared. That got me troubleshooting.
3) I have a short commute to work, so continued to drive the car to work and noticed that consistently when the weather got above 65 degrees or so, the problem would come back.
4) then more problems - horn is going off now when I start the car; fuel gauge doesn't work. BUT, again when cool weather appears, NO problem, though at times when operating temparture increases, the malfunctioning gauges, lights, etc. appear after driving 10 minutes or more.
5) What I've tried so far:
- applied dielectric grease to the bcm connectors and also other electrical connections (I did this per a TSB from Saturn that I came across due to fretting corrosion)
- took out instrument cluster to see if there was a ground there - seemed like it went to the engine compartment; unfastened, cleaned that ground and reattached.

So, I know that many of you will say BCM failure, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything like a poor ground, fretting corrosion or fuse issue or whatever.

Is there any possible explanation other than a failed bcm? Thanks for your help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 74hoff's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 74hoff reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
74hoff is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: BCM or ground Problem?

The drawing shows where ground starts from the bcm to the i/p ground splice. Since you're familiar with where the bcm and wiring are, this might help answer whether ground is an issue or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ground.jpg (98.0 KB, 125 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
trevorus
trevorus is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I'm actually having a bit of the same issue here. This might be diagnostically relevant...

Later tonight I am going to install a used BCM, and then do the Passlock resistor bypass to keep that BCM happy.

My BCM has been doing the random Security light flashing, gauges dropping, and then it will shut down, and gauge lights will default to max (with headlight switch on), power locks stop working, along with keyless entry, etc. Guessing a failed BCM.

Sucky thing is, I had a fuel pump go out on me at the same time, and that was a bear of a job. I ended up cutting an access for it. Forget trying to get the exhaust and tank off without a lift. I was doing it in my driveway, late one night.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trevorus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trevorus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trevorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:04 PM   #4
LegendaryLW200
LegendaryLW200 has a spectacular aura aboutLegendaryLW200 has a spectacular aura aboutLegendaryLW200 has a spectacular aura about

1993 SL1
1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
The drawing shows where ground starts from the bcm to the i/p ground splice. Since you're familiar with where the bcm and wiring are, this might help answer whether ground is an issue or not.
wow! I think this is exactly what I needed ...

Is this going to the splice pack right behind the drivers strut mount?!!?!?!?!?!?

Fdryer for the win! I owe you many beers at the next saturn meetup, canadian beers too

Also, anyone reading this join our public fb group. Saturn L/LW sixthsphere group

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LegendaryLW200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LegendaryLW200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LegendaryLW200 is offline   Reply With Quote