SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2016, 07:47 AM   #1
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default Vauxhall/Opel Vectra Parts

Yesterday I broke one of the parking brake cables at the rear drum brake. Apparently GM is no longer supplying this part. So I had a look to see if the Vauxhaul/Opel Vectra B used the same part. Only the 1.6 Litre model has drum brakes, but the part is identical. There are a number of aftermarket parts available, but in Europe. The trick is getting them shipped to Canada. I don't feel like paying 100 UK pounds for shipping an 8 pound part. Has anyone found a source that can ship parts to US/Canada at reasonable cost?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #2
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Vauxhall/Opel Vectra Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by born again View Post
Yesterday I broke one of the parking brake cables at the rear drum brake. Apparently GM is no longer supplying this part. So I had a look to see if the Vauxhaul/Opel Vectra B used the same part. Only the 1.6 Litre model has drum brakes, but the part is identical. There are a number of aftermarket parts available, but in Europe. The trick is getting them shipped to Canada. I don't feel like paying 100 UK pounds for shipping an 8 pound part. Has anyone found a source that can ship parts to US/Canada at reasonable cost?
Have you tried your local auto parts seller not the GM dealer? I found many parts for brake from my local auto parts seller. You should only go to GM dealer for Remote programming and BCM programming for other parts you should first ask your local auto parts seller to find the and they probably will be able to locate them since that is their business to get parts for what you need even it the auto is no longer made. And look on eBay as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:58 PM   #3
tomlct
tomlct has a spectacular aura abouttomlct has a spectacular aura about

I had this happen a few years ago, to my 2003 LW200. I looked up any of the Vectra B with rear drums, and I think the part I bought pointed to something like 95-99 2.0 petrol engine model. I bought it on ebay's UK site, from a company in Wales called Keep Driving. The part # was 33115-92.11.5939. I also looked on Ebay's German site, maybe you can do better there. I think the cables translated to around $ 20 each + the shipping, whcih was not so high, but I don't remember exactly how much it cost st the time - most importantly, they fit & and are still in use today, as I try to get this car to reach 200K miles (at 193K now).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tomlct's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tomlct reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tomlct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #4
tomlct
tomlct has a spectacular aura abouttomlct has a spectacular aura about

I don't get a hit with that part # but this looks like what I had bought -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPEL-VECTR...WXPhY#shpCntId

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tomlct's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tomlct reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tomlct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:02 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by born again View Post
Has anyone found a source that can ship parts to US/Canada at reasonable cost?
FWIW, I'll try to find out what it may cost to ship used parts to Canada. California is home to lots of good used parts. Since tomorrow is a national holiday I won't get a firm answer until 9/6.

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:41 PM   #6
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I ended up ordering two of these parts from micksgarage.com
The total cost with shipping is about C$50.
I will check with another local source to see if there are any other options.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-05-2016, 08:53 AM   #7
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

The parking brake cable on the L series is in 3 parts. There is the first cable from the handbrake lever. The second cable is the longest and connects to the and runs all the way back splitting into two as it goes rear wards. The final cable is a short cable that runs from inside the parking brake mechanism and connects with the long cable outside the drum or disc unit.

The first 2 cables you can get no problems form places like Rock Auto.

I was also told by mt GM dealer that GM have created 'regional parts centers' for Saturn parts. I guess this is to centralise as bets as possible as these parts start to dwindle. If you find who is the Saturn Regional parts center for your area, you may find that helpful for the future.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #8
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
FWIW, I'll try to find out what it may cost to ship used parts to Canada. California is home to lots of good used parts. Since tomorrow is a national holiday I won't get a firm answer until 9/6.
I should have tried estimating this online earlier and I could've answered your question the same day. My estimate, based upon my ZIP code and guessing at one in Toronto, is ~$16.00 (USD) to ship the cables via USPS First Class (regular) mail. The cables would be $5.11 (USD) each. Using a special envelope rather than a box keeps the cost down.

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #9
born again

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

$26 US = $36 CAN. I am getting new aftermarket parts for $47 CAN, which I think is OK. Note that car parts can run up to 2X in Canada vs. the cost in the US .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #10
born again

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

The parts came in this morning. Less than a week from Ireland.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!