SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #1
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Default Is anyone collecting Saturns?

My significant other and I are.

We bought Saturn #10 a week or so ago. It's a parts car (97 SW2) that had a good low mileage engine -- that I'm in the process of putting into Saturn #9 (97 SC2).

When the SO and I met - she had a 96 SC2 (red) and I , a 95 SC2 (also red) and a 95 SC2 (dark brown).

We then bought #4 - a 96 SC2 (red) - and she drove it for almost 80,000 miles - and the frame pretty well rotted out - and the engine lost compression almost simultaneously. It's a parts car now.

We got #5 - a 94 SC2 (red) and played with it for a bit -it had minor problems which I quickly cured - till I sold it to a friend who really needed a car for his daughter. She's still driving it (with deer damage). I'll probably end up with it back.

#6 is a 96 SL2 -(beige) that had a rusted through sub frame (under the tranny mount) -- I pulled the engine, and rebuilt a subframe then put it back together...) It's only got 68,000 miles on it, and runs extremely strong for a 4 door, with auto tranny..

#7 Is a 92 SC2 (white) this one came out of Florida - and has a very good body for it's age. It's got a bad valve on cylinder #3 and I'll be doing a valve job on it next.

#8 is a 2002 SC2 (red) -- that I bought from a kid -- it's an excellent body - as it's never been driven in winter. Good runner. The kid thought he was putting one over on us - because the heater core leaked. I guess he thought it was a monster of a job to do. Guess he doesn't know Saturns...

I plan on buying more.

Get good motors in rusted out/wrecked cars -- and find good bodies with blown motors or trannys.....

It keeps me busy....

The best part -- eventually I'll know these cars - to where there's no surprises.........

Eventually......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2016, 04:24 PM   #2
spacetrace33
spacetrace33 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
1998 SL2
Default Re: Is anyone collecting Saturns?

If I had storage for more, I'd buy them all up. No question about it.

If somebody I know has one, I always ask them to sell it to me first. Parts.

Feels like I already am collecting though... aside from the ones that i have listed, I've got enough spare parts in addition to build at least two more cars. Aside from unibody, obviously.

I figure I have enough spare parts to keep my DD going for the next 10 years, minimum. At least the majority of the parts.

I race these cars also, and go through a lot of parts. Stockpile has cut back on costs tremendously. And the pile keeps growing. I feel like I should be on an episode of hoarders.

I may have an additional complete car in near future, depending on if this transmission swap comes..... It's last resort ATM.

Saturn fever. Isn't it great?

I had to edit to ask this question.

You ever have so many Saturn projects going on that you forget what you did to what car? Or what car needs x done, and you thought it was another? I do sometimes, but may just be the blonde in me.

00 SL1 Daily Driver
98 SL2 race car-not street legal by any means
01 SC2 race car-not street legal by any means
00 SL2 aka boom boom pow
99 SL2. 99 problems

Last edited by spacetrace33; 09-08-2016 at 04:34 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spacetrace33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spacetrace33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spacetrace33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:31 PM   #3
autopat
autopat is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1

My wife swears that I am, but only a couple at a time. I'm on number 18 now, in 7 years.

Pat

2010 Camaro SS
2002 SL2
2000 Suburban
1998 SL1
1996 SW2
1992 Monterey Cobra
1990 Suburban
1973 Nova SS
1966 Suburban
1965 Chevy S/W/BW

So many projects....so little time!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to autopat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help autopat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
autopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Yeah -- just keeping up on oil changes is a challenge...

I use a label maker and put a "Oil Due" notice with the projected mileage on the inside upper left of the windshield..... Then I check before driving....

Also -- I keep a small notebook in the glove box of each car - with notes of what's been done......

spare parts -- if I THINK it may be junk -- I toss it.....

There's no sense keeping garbage....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

I only have two, have to restrain myself from buying more

Might take it up as more of a hobby after I retire. We did not build our house with cars in mind, so just a two car garage, and the extra Saturn is taking up space in our turnaround.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
marko16
marko16 has a spectacular aura aboutmarko16 has a spectacular aura aboutmarko16 has a spectacular aura about

I had 8 two months ago, now at 6. 3 burn oil, 1 not so bad, 2 not all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marko16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marko16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marko16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #7
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Hi, my name's Dave, I am a Saturn hoarder and it's been 48 days since I bought my last $300 Saturn.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 09-09-2016 at 11:57 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:41 PM   #8
onlinebiker

I got #9 done today (just have to pick up and install the rear sway bar links and recharge the A/C).

It drives sweet. Nice and quiet - smooth.....

The interior is exceptionally nice - it's even got the original headliner - with no droop... Carpet and upholstery all pretty much intact and unworn...... Body looks very good for a 97.

Everything works.

So -- our current stable of driveable cars --

92 SC2 (white) 129k miles
95 SC2 (red) 198k
96 SC2 (red) 305k (6k on engine)
97 SC2 (purple) 158k (25k on engine)
98 SL2 (beige) 68k
02 SC2 (red) 154k

Here's the fun part ---- NONE leak oil, tranny, or coolant....

All stored indoors - and only the 97 will see winter driving....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2017, 01:19 AM   #9
onlinebiker

Update time.

We picked up the 2002 SL2 from the original owner - it needed a bit of work, but I got it sorted out. The P0341 code was the bugger to beat, but did eventually. ( hint to dumb self - dont use suppression wires....)

Had under $600 into it, and it's very clean inside and out. My sister wanted it very bad, so it's hers now - I'm counting it in the collection because I'll be working on the thing forever.... Indentured servitude survives.....

Yesterday we bought another 97 SL2. reasonable condition. Nice interior. Engine toast. You DO have to keep oil in these things if you want them to go down the road. $150.
I may find a junkyard engine to stick in it to drive it in winter.

Hint to those collecting ---

Craigslist is your friend, but remember to not just look at the cars and trucks section - but also peruse the auto parts section with Saturn in the search field. That's where I found the latest.

driveable

92 SC2
93 SC2
95 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
97 SL2 - cooked engine
98 SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2017, 10:24 AM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I only have two, have to restrain myself from buying more
Relapsed, bought a 3rd in November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker
My sister wanted it very bad, so it's hers now - I'm counting it in the collection because I'll be working on the thing forever.... Indentured servitude survives.....
so true

I use searchtempest to search multiple areas
https://www.searchtempest.com/
Using the string:

saturn -astra -aura -ion -outlook -lw2 -game -telescope -l300 -vue -ion -relay -sega -★ -★★

I might miss some of the results because of that (for example, if there is an S series with Ion wheels) but there were too many results I was not otherwise interested in.

I don't even know why I am looking . . . no room for another car unless I want to park outside (or on the grass which my wife has forbidden)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2017, 03:32 PM   #11
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

Collecting Saturns?
You mean intentionally? No not really. Although I am looking for another vue for the winter. Just sold a cherry L300 so I am justified in another SC if a low mile one pops up. An addiction isn't a problem until you admit to it. Right?

2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Claybury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Claybury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Claybury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #12
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

Like this? ....
VWBarn.jpg

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:29 AM   #13
alordofchaos

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

^ ^ ^ Oooh, that's nice. I need to build a big pole barn on a slab at the next place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybury View Post
An addiction isn't a problem until you admit to it. Right?
Absolutely! You can call it a "hobby" until then

And it's not really an addiction if I can stop at any time I want to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2017, 12:58 PM   #14
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

I had a collection (albeit a small one); at one point.

I did have 4 of them that were all running at one point.

Now down to 2. As much as I would love to find a 94 SW2 that is a 5 Speed; I am down to my 99 SL daily driver and my 94 HCE.

And as odd as it may sound- I still miss my 94 SC1. Loved, Loved, LOVED that car... and what I wouldn't give to have another to drive another 340,500 miles on the original engine and auto trans with neither of them needing to be rebuilt!

In 20 years- I have owned 8 Saturns all together. They are listed in my signature.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:41 PM   #15
onlinebiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
Like this? ....
Attachment 51629
That many bugs, you should apply Quell...

driveable

92 SC2
93 SC2
95 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
97 SL2 - cooked engine
98 SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #16
onlinebiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
^ ^ ^ Oooh, that's nice. I need to build a big pole barn on a slab at the next place.

Absolutely! You can call it a "hobby" until then

And it's not really an addiction if I can stop at any time I want to.
A buddy of mine keeps saying " but you can quit anytime, right??" every time I buy another one....

driveable

92 SC2
93 SC2
95 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
97 SL2 - cooked engine
98 SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2017, 03:42 AM   #17
grant404
grant404 is on a distinguished road

Aside from a new '97 SL2 I leased from '97 - '00, I also had two '02s and a '95 until recently. All ran and drove great, everything worked, they looked good and had no problems until one of the '02s got hit while my son was driving it. It was a relatively minor hit and I was planning on fixing and keeping it but I found out that correct body colored parts for a 3rd gen SCx are very hard to come by. Also, the insurance company took one look and offered me a check for $3300. It was too old for them to fix and not enough parts availability, so alas, I took the check and a still great running S-Series went off to the scrap yard.

That means I'm now down to "only" two SL2s - an '02 and a '95. Both are doing well in the DD rotation, which allows me to keep the miles and weather off my garage queens.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to grant404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help grant404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
grant404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #18
Waiex191
Waiex191 will become famous soon enoughWaiex191 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

I've got a collection of one SL2.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, owned since new
5 speed manual
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:14 AM   #19
ratwhisperer
ratwhisperer will become famous soon enough

1997 SL1
1994 SL2

At the moment I only have the one 1997 SL1; but for awhile I had three at a time; the 96 SL2, 94 SL2 and aforementioned SL1. I have had a few now in total; 1995 SW2 was the first one, 2002 SW2 was the second; and I had a 2004 Vue; and then the others. The 1995 SW2 and the 1997 SL1 are my favorites

Past:
1995 SW2 - Cynthia - sold 246K
2000 SW2 - Ruby - sold 165k
2004 Vue - Jade - traded in
1996 SL2 - Ursula - sold 223K

Current:
1994 SL2 - Nelly Belle - 139K?
1997 SL1 - Cinnamon - 265K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ratwhisperer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ratwhisperer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ratwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #20
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

I am only hoarding parts
Here’s a nice one to help with others’ addiction
https://knoxville.craigslist.org/ctd...377193564.html
‘02 SC2

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 12 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote