SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #1
Junkfood
Junkfood will become famous soon enoughJunkfood will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Question L300 Annoying Hiss When Listening to the Radio or CD Player

I have a 2001 L300 with the standard audio system. All of a sudden I started to hear an annoying hiss whenever I listened the radio or the CD played. The hiss is coming out of all four speaker stations (LF, RF, LR, and RR), so it must be something in common with all the speakers and central to the system. I acquired another "Head" unit, and swapped it with the original one, but the hiss still remained. Looking at the wiring diagrams there appears to be an amplifier between the "head" unit and the speakers (even in the standard audio system), so I am thinking this might be where the problem lies. Does anybody know where this is located and possibly how to replace it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gary Callahan
Beaverton, Oregon

2001 L300
V6 Get-up and Go!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Junkfood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Junkfood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Junkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2016, 03:20 PM   #2
flyingj
Advanced Member
flyingj will become famous soon enoughflyingj will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: L300 Annoying Hiss When Listening to the Radio or CD Player

The amp was only in vehicles with the upgraded audio system and the sub in the trunk. If you don't have the sub, then there is no amp.

I suppose it could be a problem in both head units, but it could also be a bad ground. Since it is common to all the speakers, I agree that it is very unlikely that the speakers are the problem.

Is the his a constant sound or does it change with engine RPMs?

2001 L-200 2.2l Mileage: 140,000
DOB: 05/08/01 Date Acquired: 07/01/07

2006 Vue 3.5L AWD Mileage: 130,000
DOB: 08/24/05 Date Acquired: 12/15/06

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flyingj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flyingj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flyingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #3
Junkfood

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It is a constant hiss, like a bad transistor or something similar to that. There must be some sort of amp between the radio/CD player, since I don't think you can't just hook speakers up directly to the "Head" unit and just play it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gary Callahan
Beaverton, Oregon

2001 L300
V6 Get-up and Go!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Junkfood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-01-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Before radios added tape and CD's, most used self contained amps without needing a separate amp module. Many are stand alone units without needing a separate amp.There's more to car stereo systems than anyone can imagine. Ever since AM and FM radios gave way to adding tape, CD, vcd's, navigation and OnStar, entertainment systems are sophisticated. And probably a reason they went from standard to double din size with supplemental modules either tucked under the instrument panel, under seats or in the trunk.

Another way to see if you have a separate amp is the descriptions of speaker wires as twisted and bundled to connect radio to amp under the instrument panel beam. Service manual pictures aren't drawn well and descriptions go like this;

Remove the fasteners that attach the amplifier to the instrument panel (I/P) beam.
Slide the amplifier off of the clutch pedal bracket.
Disconnect the electrical connector connectors from the amplifier.
Remove the amplifier from the vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #5
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

The L and S series share the same audio units. Both have a common connector, though the wiring is slightly different. That said, it sounds like you have a ground problem.

Pull the unit and check the wiring for where it connects to ground. Also check the head unit for any iffy connectors that may have become loose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkfood View Post
There must be some sort of amp between the radio/CD player,
There is no external, separate amplifier installed on L Series cars with the CD/Radio unit. My car came with that unit originally. As pointed out before, the amplifier only came with the premium CD/Cassette/Radio (double din sized) and included a subwoofer mounted underneath the deck (in the trunk) and behind the left rear passenger seat. But who knows, perhaps your situation is an exception? As flyingj stated, if there is no subwoofer behind the back seat - and visible from inside the trunk - then there is no amplifier present.

Quote:
since I don't think you can't just hook speakers up directly to the "Head" unit and just play it.
Not so. I replaced my CD/Radio with a premium CD/Cassette/Radio without utilizing the amplifier and it plays just fine. I did upgrade the front door speakers as the premium unit itself has its own internal amplifier which is stronger than that of the CD/Radio. It was purchased at a Pick-Your-Part wrecking yard for $31.00.

Why did I replace the CD/Radio? All of the LED bulbs had burned out so I could see nothing from it while driving at night. The wrecking yard unit was the least expensive alternative, is plug and play (even if you don't have the amplifier nor the subwoofer), works perfectly, and all bulbs are illuminating. It was a great deal!!

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 09-02-2016 at 03:06 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #7
Junkfood

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There seems to be some confusion over what is "Premium" and what is standard. My "Head" unit is the standard which came with the L300, which is the Radio/Cassette/CD model. The "Premium" unit is the system with the six CD changer and subwofer in the trunk. Does this change any of your replies to my issue?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gary Callahan
Beaverton, Oregon

2001 L300
V6 Get-up and Go!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-02-2016, 07:30 PM   #8
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
There seems to be some confusion over what is "Premium" and what is standard. My "Head" unit is the standard which came with the L300, which is the Radio/Cassette/CD model. The "Premium" unit is the system with the six CD changer and subwofer in the trunk. Does this change any of your replies to my issue?
Yes, it does. I must say that in your earlier posts it seemed odd to me that your sound system was the CD/Radio. My recollection of the stereo units was that the LS2/L300's all had the CD/Cassette/Radio, but I thought that it might have been possible that you had something different. Now that we know the correct stereo present in your car then you definitely have the amplifier there along with the subwoofer. The CD Changer in the trunk was an option available for the premium sound system, at least in M.Y. 2000. The premium sound system lower door speakers have larger magnets than the standard lower door speakers so that they can handle the greater amplifier output. The front door lower speakers also had a stronger cone material. (The premium sound system would have been an optional upgrade in an LS1 if I'd wanted to pay for it back in the day.)

The amplifier is located above and to the left of the brake pedal arm. You need to remove the cover (black) beneath the dash and perhaps the lower air ducting to see it. As for the source of the hissing, I have nothing to add to what has already been written.

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #9
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

Can I just throw this in. My son's 2003 L300 has a CD player/Radio.
At some point along the way Saturn, like other manufacturers dispensed with Cassette players in the radio.
If memory serves me correctly, and a Drivers Manual would confirm this, the 'basic' audio is usually radio only, followed by CD/Radio. The CD being single play. The add on's were the CD autochanger.

So Junkfood had a single CD Player/Radio as the head unit, he would not have had an amp or subwoofer. He has now changed that head unit out for what appears to be an older head unit featuring a cassette player.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My '03 L300 has the radio, CD and cassette (double din configuration?). A trunk speaker, two tweeters and four speakers. Does this make mine a standard system without the six CD changer? Premium sound system with CD changer? I have never looked for the supplemental amp as I loathe looking under the steering wheel, finding clutter when rehanging and inspecting the remote start modules and wiring. I've been under there several times over the years to connect a program switch to allow modifying my remote start for longer cranking times.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #11
flyingj
Advanced Member
flyingj will become famous soon enoughflyingj will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2006 VUE 3.5L

My L came with the AM/FM/CD/Tape double DIN unit. Not the premium set up though. I don't have the sub/amp combo. I have since replaced mine with an aftermarket single DIN deck and it works fine. Only the amps that were part of the head units have been used. The double DIN deck wasn't only available as part of the premium audio package, but just an upgrade available from the single DIN unit without the glorius tape deck.

It sounds like Junkfood's setup is the same as mine. Double check the ground connections for the radios and see if that helps.

2001 L-200 2.2l Mileage: 140,000
DOB: 05/08/01 Date Acquired: 07/01/07

2006 Vue 3.5L AWD Mileage: 130,000
DOB: 08/24/05 Date Acquired: 12/15/06

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flyingj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flyingj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flyingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #12
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

It seems plausible that the OP may not have the premium sound set up.

The premium sound system was not available with the plain radio or CD/Radio.

Last edited by pierrot; 09-03-2016 at 05:53 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!