SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2016, 07:23 PM   #1
Thorin
Thorin is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Default 2000 SL1 Transmission Troubles

Hi, new account here, but I've used this site many times since we got out Staurn to help me fix it. I have a 2000 SL1.

The transmission continues to give me problems, however.

It started with the typical reverse slam/loss of 2nd gear. I did the job on the input shaft nut and it fixed the problem.

A few months ago, however, it started having a new problem... It pretty much doesn't seem to have low gears anymore. Acceleration is really slow on a flat, and nonexistent on hills. Once you're at speed and in higher gears there are no problems. This is a problem ONLY from a stop or a very low (<20mph) speed.

I assumed it was the valve body, since I didn't replace it before with the shaft nuts, but that didn't help. I noticed that a few of the pins on the old valve body were burnt, and the corresponding pins on the connector were burnt as well. So today I replaced the connector. Still have the same issue.

No problems with reverse... It's a nice quick and solid shift since I replaced the valve body.

TL;DR-
Feels like car starts in 3rd gear. No problems to speak of after about 20mph. No shuddering, no hard shifting. From a standing start, with the gas pedal in the floor, rpms only go to about 2500 and the car accelerates very slowly. Valve body and input shaft not already done.

I really need help on this one. I really con't afford to replace this car right now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Thorin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Thorin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Thorin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2000 SL1 Transmission Troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorin View Post
Feels like car starts in 3rd gear. No problems to speak of after about 20mph. No shuddering, no hard shifting. From a standing start, with the gas pedal in the floor, rpms only go to about 2500 and the car accelerates very slowly.
Welcome Thorin. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th Gear Solenoids must all be energized for 1st Gear. Have you checked the TRS fuses? If they are good, you have an open circuit somewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:50 PM   #3
Thorin

2000 SL1

Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out tomorrow. I'm pretty sure there were some fried solenoids in the valve body I replaced (hence the burnt connector). Maybe a fuse went at the same time.

I feel kinda dumb for not checking my fuses...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Thorin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-30-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
Thorin

2000 SL1

Hey, thank you so much for the reminder to look at my fuses. I can't believe I replaced an electronic part that showed clear signs of shorting and didn't think to check the fuses. I feel like a dumbass.

However, the car is shifting like a champ now, great acceleration. Shifts a bit rough, and had a couple of oddly placed downshifts, but I'm sure that'll steady out as the new valve body and the PCM get to know one another. I think all the posts about swapping the valve body and input shaft nut should include a reminder to check those fuses. 30 seconds of work would have saved me a lot of frustration here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-30-2016, 10:57 PM   #5
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

At least it was an easy fix - happy motoring!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote