SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2016, 10:58 PM   #1
Lahms
Lahms is on a distinguished road

Default Vehicle lurches when reaches running temp

I got a 96 SL2 that I have been driving for 3 years now. Havent had any problems. Car is super reliable, 219k miles and still going strong... but, for a couple months now, the car jerks and lurches. But this only happens when I reach my normal running temp. It makes driving in town with a bunch of lights unbearable. Another symptom is the moment the car does its thing, I push on the clutch, the RPMs plummet to around 600-700 and sometimes even as low as 400. This is only for a brief second. The car idles just fine but accelerating is terrible. And during days when its hotter than 85 outside, its even worse. I dread driving home from work when its 100 outside. I do pop a p0404 code (EGR valve failure). I took the valve off the car, gave it a good cleaning with carb cleaner and such. Put it back on with a new gasket. Awhile back I thought it was the MAP sensor, replaced it and cleaned the hole it sits in. No joy. Does anyone have experience with this? Taking it to dealer/shop is the last thing I wanna do because I am confident I can fix this myself. Will I need to buy a new EGR valve. Bought a new engine coolant sensor and I am installing it tomorrow morning. Any insight would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lahms's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lahms reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lahms is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Default Re: Vehicle lurches when reaches running temp

If you have a scanner with live-data, you could check the MAP, EGR, ECT, and much more, without just throwing parts at it. The EGR valve (and other stuff) can be checked with an electrical multimeter, though, it's just more difficult to do.

Easiest to try with the EGR is to just block off the ports under it, see if that stops the lurching.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote