SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #1
chanceSL2
chanceSL2 is on a distinguished road

Default EGR Valve stud part number

Hi, I have 1999 Saturn Sl2. You know how there is one bolt and one stud that fastens the EGR valve. Just wondering if anyone knows what replacement stud works for the stu. I accidentally broke it while tightening.

The one I need is #12 seen in the diagram of the website wholesalegmpartsonline "if you search for EGR valve stud for 99 saturn sl2" in google. (I can't post link yet). Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chanceSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chanceSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chanceSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2016, 08:03 PM   #2
gveinot
gveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the roughgveinot is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2000 SL2
Default Re: EGR Valve stud part number

my 2000 has two bolts sorry, but any GM dealer should be able to help you. They have the schematics,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:44 AM   #3
chanceSL2

Thanks for the reply. I know the part number from the schematics but just can't find the replacement at auto stores or online. The one from gmpartsonline.com; I have to pay $16 for shipping for 1 stud.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help chanceSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-19-2016, 04:03 AM   #4
OlHillbilly
OlHillbilly is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

There is two studs/nuts that hold it on. It's the same EGR valve as on my '02 SL1 and many other years of SL/SC/SW cars. Go to your local Pick-n-Pull (or whatever it may be called in your area) and get a couple from a junker. Buck a piece maybe..

2002 SL1
1997 SL.. Killed by a texting driver
1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
Coupla motorcycles and an assortment of bicycles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OlHillbilly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OlHillbilly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OlHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:24 AM   #5
chanceSL2

PnP is my last resort as the nearest one is an hour drive from my place. I will see if the auto stores have something that might be a good replacement. Thanks for the replies guys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Auto stores may have replacement studs but may not carry every size. The parts distributors that supplies auto stores is another place to check. If not auto supply, machine tool supply distributors should have them in any size and length. The key is knowing dimensions; (metric?) thread pitch, diameter and length. Studs are probably manufactured in standard lengths machine tool distributors carry. Some, like Travers Tool have catalogs and may offer online versions to shop from before ordering. If SOL, there's always an alternative - using a bolt with the appropriate length and cutting off the head. If you're not sure of stud size, remove the good one or use the broken piece (only if threads aren't mangled) as a mating piece to match with bolts. Mesh the threaded stud to a bolt; perfect meshing means the threads are identical. Match the diameters by placing them end to end or eyeball them side by side. Intelligent parts people may know how to use a thread pitch gauge but don't count on anyone with this knowledge except machinists, engine builders and anyone with a few cells between their ears that use them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:09 AM   #7
chanceSL2

Thank you fdryer for your expert opinion. I have read so many of your posts in the past while browsing this forum. Great to hear from you finally.

As I mentioned on my first post, if you Google "EGR valve stud for 99 saturn sl2" and look at #12 on the first engine diagram that shows up under Google image, that is the stud I am looking for.

Since I can't post the link, here is the description of the metrics you were asking about fdryer.

STUD. Emission Control System
STUD,EGR VLV ADAP(M10X1.5X32.5 AND M6X1X22). Required: 01
STUD,EGR VLV ADAP(THROUGH EGR ADAPTER TO CYL HD)(M10X1.5X32.5 AND M6X1X22). Required: 01
For: H 3.8-1(L67) (2001-2003) (2001 - 2003).
For: H 3.8K(L36) (2000-2003) (2000 - 2003).

I am confused as to which one is the correct metrics number for the stud. Could you help me identify the correct metrics?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2016, 01:55 AM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ I think you're looking at another engine and not a Saturn. As shown (correct me if I'm mistaken), if the copied drawing is what you're looking at, its not a Saturn 1.9L engine. The info is listing V6 engines and part#12 is a mounting bracket stud for a bracket, not the stud you're looking to replace. As listed and from your copy of info, this stud is an M10 (diameter) x 1.5 mm (thread pitch) x (stud length) 32.5 mm on one side, the other side is M6 (diameter) x 1 mm (thread ptich) x 22 mm (stud length). This is a two sided stud with different threads on each side.

If you cannot use the broken stud as a reference for replacement, you can consider a simple metric bolt as an alternative replacement. You' still have to know metric diameter, thread pitch and length.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (117.5 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:13 AM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

On the 96-99 DOHC that is a plain stud with a washer faced JIS specification nut. It is a S-Series specific part so if you find them on a dealer shelf you will pay dearly for it. Go to a Pick and pull and extract on from any 96-99 DOHC or you can use a long metric Allen set screw as the stud and any metric nut and washer will suffice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:14 AM   #10
chanceSL2

Thank you fdryer and OldNuc for the expert opinions.

Fdryer, that's the picture I was looking at but I missed the V6 engine on the title. Thanks for clarifying the numbers on the metrics. I will take the broken piece to the auto parts store this weekend to match the threads and diameter like you mentioned and see if I can find something. If not, I would follow OlnNuc's advice even though I have to make 1 hour drive to PnP.

Thank you both again for your time and suggestions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!