SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2016, 10:37 PM   #1
bradleypariah
bradleypariah is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Auto transmission vent tube questions

Hi guys. I went for an oil change the other day. While on the highway later that evening (180 miles from home), I believe transmission fluid sprayed all over the underside of my hood. I saw a temp light in my tachometer, but the engine temp was normal. We pulled over, let it cool a while, and ended up ring-clamping the hose to prevent further leakage. I'm not sure I should have done that, but it was 10pm and we were stranded with no expertise.

My transmission vent tube looks the same as the very first pic in this thread, a white opening, but no "cap":
saturnfans(dot)com/forums/showthread.php?t=206176

All the other pictures of people's tubes seem to look like this (with a cap):
saturnfans(dot)com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41525&d=1423408265

My questions are:

1) Is it possible for fluid to spray from that vent tube?
2) If so, what would cause it? Overfilling it? -or is it the fault of this missing cap?
3) Am I missing a cap in the first place? -or do some Vues' vent hoses just not have a cap?

The Vue has not had any further issues in the last two days since clamping the vent hose, and we have since driven 180+ miles back home. I stopped every 60 miles or so and pulled the transmission's dipstick to relieve any possible pressure. A little air came in or out each time, but not much.

Thanks for your time.

2005 6-cylinder, automatic transmission

http://raptr.com/bradleypariah/wall

Last edited by bradleypariah; 08-14-2016 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: Misspelling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bradleypariah's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bradleypariah reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bradleypariah is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2016, 09:07 AM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Auto transmission vent tube questions

The vent tube provides a path for transmission to expel heated internal air and cap keeps transmission from drawing moisture laden air in as innards cool.

According to service manual the IPC light comes on when ATF temp reaches 302 deg F. This and fact the tube was spitting fluid indicates you were building some serious temperatures inside transmission.

Were you heavily loaded, pulling trailer, all up hill, etc?

The primary component to heat ATF is the torque converter - so was your RPM's about normal for the speed you were traveling?

I take care of four 3.5 Vue's and each has a ScanGauge. Items we consistently monitor are coolant temps and ATF temps. When cruising at 75 mph in warm weather I've noticed the coolant temps run in range of 182-184 F and ATF temps usually stay 20 degrees cooler. ATF temps will climb during stop and go but I don't recall seeing temps above 210 F.

I'd suggest at minimum you refresh the ATF even if you've done so in last 20,000 since those temps could have cooked and damaged the fluid. You might want to do two or three drain and fills.

I'm also thinking if your ATF reached 302 F and the coolant gauge didn't show a dramatic increase it could indicate either the internal radiator oil cooler flow is restricted or the input or return hose may be crimped or partially clogged.

You might also want to have the radiator oil cooler tested and flushed to make sure there's no flow restriction (not a good idea to flush transmission).

There is an internal ATF filter but I don't recall any stories of that little guy being plugged.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleypariah View Post
My questions are:
3) Am I missing a cap in the first place? -or do some Vues' vent hoses just not have a cap?
I think yours is missing. I remember mine popped off with only a slight bump. I wound up buying the whole hose, but they might be hard to come by . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221982

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:05 PM   #4
mlc5
mlc5 is a jewel in the roughmlc5 is a jewel in the roughmlc5 is a jewel in the rough

We experienced a similar problem with fluid coming out of vent tubes, etc.. a year or so ago.. In our case it turned out that the transmission pump had failed.. and the tranny fluid overheated, spewing out of the vents...

a few years earlier .. we had a similar experience after getting it back from the tranny shop.. and in that case it turned out they overfilled it... .

Is it a coincidence that this happened after you had your oil changed.. or is it possible they did something stupid? Also .. are we 100% sure this is tranny fluid and not oil that created the mess?

If the tranny is shifting smoothly . that's at least a good sign.. but you may have ruined the fluid if it overheated.. (smells like varnish?)

If checking the fluid is relieving pressure. that would suggest to me that the vent is clogged possibly? Not sure if you can simply blow it out.. or unclog it with a piece of wire? Hopefully one of the others chime in ...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mlc5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mlc5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mlc5 is offline   Reply With Quote