SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2016, 08:01 PM   #1
sporatica
sporatica is on a distinguished road

Default Knock Sensor wires cut *Need Help* 05 Vue

Please help me figure out what this wire connects to. (pictures)

A cat got into my engine compartment and broke the wires to the Knock Sensor connector going toward the harness, not the sensor. I spliced the two wires back into the connector, but have a 3rd, bare-wire, coming out of the same sheath and have no idea what it connects to. CEL is still on.

I've looked for a possible matching end to the bare wire and can't find any loose, broken or disconnected wires anywhere in the engine compartment.

2005 Vue, Base 4cyl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KNock Sensor full.jpg (98.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg KS Knock Sensor 3.jpg (97.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160813_174130582.jpg (149.1 KB, 13 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sporatica's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sporatica reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sporatica is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Knock Sensor wires cut *Need Help* 05 Vue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporatica View Post
Please help me figure out what this wire connects to. (pictures)

A cat got into my engine compartment and broke the wires to the Knock Sensor connector going toward the harness, not the sensor. I spliced the two wires back into the connector, but have a 3rd, bare-wire, coming out of the same sheath and have no idea what it connects to. CEL is still on.

I've looked for a possible matching end to the bare wire and can't find any loose, broken or disconnected wires anywhere in the engine compartment.

2005 Vue, Base 4cyl
See partial diagram from GM service manual ... two wires between ECM and Knock Sensor probably have some sort of braided metal outer shielding.

Diagram shows BARE wire connected to shielding - probably very near Knock Sensor connector - and then being spliced to a RED wire which is routed to and connected to ECM connector C2 pin 33.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Knck Sensor Wiring.jpg (151.4 KB, 12 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #3
sporatica

Thank you. I'm afraid I need to be walked through this like a 10 year old kid. I am totally and completely illiterate when it comes to electrical diagrams. Where is the ECM connector? Would you happen to have a picture? I am not a mechanic. I'm just a woman who saw the CEL on after the dog chased the cat into my engine compartment. it took me hours of looking at Saturn parts online to even figure out that it was the Knock Sensor connector. I figured, "no problem, I'll just splice it back together. I truly have no idea what I'm doing, but am stuck here until I figure it out because I'm afraid to cause damage to the car by driving it with a a bare wire flailing around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
See partial diagram from GM service manual ... two wires between ECM and Knock Sensor probably have some sort of braided metal outer shielding.

Diagram shows BARE wire connected to shielding - probably very near Knock Sensor connector - and then being spliced to a RED wire which is routed to and connected to ECM connector C2 pin 33.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sporatica reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-13-2016, 10:36 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Thank you. I'm afraid I need to be walked through this like a 10 year old kid. I am totally and completely illiterate when it comes to electrical diagrams. Where is the ECM connector? Would you happen to have a picture? I am not a mechanic. I'm just a woman who saw the CEL on after the dog chased the cat into my engine compartment. it took me hours of looking at Saturn parts online to even figure out that it was the Knock Sensor connector. I figured, "no problem, I'll just splice it back together. I truly have no idea what I'm doing, but am stuck here until I figure it out because I'm afraid to cause damage to the car by driving it with a a bare wire flailing around.
Use anything handy to tie or tape wire to bundle to keep it from flailing around. I doubt if the wire is causing trouble.

CEL may be caused by initial wire breaking and if so will go away after a few engine warm up cycles.

You could stop by most any auto parts house and have code read just to be sure (and they will usually clear code if you ask).

I'll attach illustration of ECM but I seriously doubt if you need to worry about testing or reconnecting drain wire at ECM end.

BTW ... I'm impressed at the fix you applied ... looks a little like battle damage repair and I bet neither cat or dog offered to help you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ECM Pix - Edit.jpg (141.1 KB, 14 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-13-2016, 11:45 PM   #5
sporatica

It wasn't even my dog or my cat. A stray dog chased a feral cat into my motor while my dogs were going crazy at the front door. It took me a few minutes to figure out why the dog was trying to get into the motor from under the car. Luckily, he was small and I was able to leash him, then let the cat escape.

Neither one stuck around to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Use anything handy to tie or tape wire to bundle to keep it from flailing around. I doubt if the wire is causing trouble.

CEL may be caused by initial wire breaking and if so will go away after a few engine warm up cycles.

You could stop by most any auto parts house and have code read just to be sure (and they will usually clear code if you ask).

I'll attach illustration of ECM but I seriously doubt if you need to worry about testing or reconnecting drain wire at ECM end.

BTW ... I'm impressed at the fix you applied ... looks a little like battle damage repair and I bet neither cat or dog offered to help you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
It wasn't even my dog or my cat. A stray dog chased a feral cat into my motor while my dogs were going crazy at the front door. It took me a few minutes to figure out why the dog was trying to get into the motor from under the car. Luckily, he was small and I was able to leash him, then let the cat escape.

Neither one stuck around to help.
I believe the best course of action is for you to tuck the free end of bare wire into the old shielded housing where dark blue, gray and bare wire are sticking out of. (See thumbnail).

I suspect there'll be room to insert bare wire and once you have in 1/2 inch then tape around that area as moisture shield.

Once you have bare wire inserted and taped you can squeeze remaining part of bare wire as you see fit to eliminate chance of touching metal engine components.

I see no need to worry about ECM end as those connectors are far from scene of skirmish.

Thanks for the email advising Cali auto parts stores can't read trouble codes - I didn't know that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.2 KS Repair.jpg (153.0 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

It occurs to me that you have one other option.

I mentioned battle damage repair in an earlier post and recall when aircraft were being rapidly patched to get back into the fight one trick to repair shielded wires - or harnesses - was to wrap tin-foil around the wire as a quick substitute.

Your damaged circuit - knock sensor (KS) - is basically a microphone designed to listen for and send engine "spark-knock" noises to ECM so any extraneous engine electrical signals would be a bad thing.

You could provide increased protection for the KS wiring by tightly wrapping all the exposed wires - including the bare wire - with one or two layers of kitchen aluminum foil.

Put a smooth layer-wrap of tape on top of the aluminum foil and you're almost as good as it was before the kitty-cat experience.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!