SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 08-06-2016, 05:30 PM   #1
xdarkxfirex
xdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura aboutxdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura aboutxdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura about

Default Need help replacing alternator

I picked up a reman alternator for a really good price. I attempted to take everything apart today, and got through everything. I could not figure out a way to pull out the alternator itself after disconnecting the wire harness, removing the side motor mounts, trying to position the engine so I could get more room. It is too large to clear the engine bay and the bottom. After messing around with it for a while, I put everything back together and let it be. I went to my neighbours shop and he said for $100 he can install it. Should I try again to tackle it or is it not worth it for a diy'er?

The car still charges fine most of the time, but I have had an instance weeks ago on the same day where it would keep dying after I turned off the engine, and needed it boosted. I cleaned the terminals(Which were already clean) and it hasnt happened since. I just didnt want to run into the same problem. The charge on it is a little lower than normal with the car running, about 12.9- 13.9v
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2016, 11:08 PM   #2
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Need help replacing alternator

So it should come out of the hole (opening) at the side of the engine compartment after you take off the passenger side wheel and the fender liner. Is that where you were tying to get it from?

It takes a certain rotation and the engine has to be at a certain level. Sorry everything else is just trial and error till it comes out.
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #3
xdarkxfirex
xdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura aboutxdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura aboutxdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura about

I was trying to take it out from the bottom, and top of the engine bay. I havent tried the fender liner again, but I may want to tackle it again.

Have you replaced one before?
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:17 AM   #4
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Yea I have taken mine out a few times now. The hole in the fender liner is the trick. Will see if I can find a picture of it for you.

With the engine in the right position it will come out right between the two blue lines.

Last edited by smwalker; 08-08-2016 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:35 PM   #5
crzyalbo
crzyalbo has a spectacular aura aboutcrzyalbo has a spectacular aura aboutcrzyalbo has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

SM,

Please provide more details as I have tried to get in out that way without any success. I did get it out when I had to take off the intake manifold for another project (P065e), but i would not recommed this approach.
crzyalbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:42 PM   #6
smwalker

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyalbo View Post
SM,

Please provide more details as I have tried to get in out that way without any success. I did get it out when I had to take off the intake manifold for another project (P065e), but i would not recommed this approach.

Well not much to tell as I cannot tell you exactly at what angle to put the engine as you just have to try a few different positions. But with the right engine mount removed and the engine supported by a floor jack move the engine up or down in order to create the correct opening for the alternator to slide out. You also have to turn the mounting arms on the alternator a certain direction to get out, I think they go away from the engine. Otherwise just trial and error, it will come out eventually.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:19 AM   #7
crzyalbo
crzyalbo has a spectacular aura aboutcrzyalbo has a spectacular aura aboutcrzyalbo has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Ah...there is the answer. Removing the mount will give you sufficient clearance as i was just missing it by a tad.
crzyalbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:53 PM   #8
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enoughmaschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

I did mine this weekend at 98k miles. I was getting low battery voltage and couldn't start without a jump or charging overnight. With the engine running, the voltage would not increase as read by a multimeter. So that told me the alternator not charging anymore.

I first removed the airbox and belt (don't forget your 19mm 12-point socket for the tensioner). The large wire nut was not difficult, but the control wire plug was pretty tight. I had to stick a little flat-head screwdriver in there to get it off. I did not remove the fender liner, but I did remove the passenger front wheel and unbolt the right side engine mount. By jacking up the engine about an inch, I was able to just barely wedge the alternator out of that little window inside the wheelwell. It's a tricky job, but definitely within the realm of a typical DIY'er working in a driveway.

My re-manufactured alternator with the parts store lifetime warranty works great after a 500 mile road trip, but I do notice a slight "whirring" sound at higher RPM. Almost sounds like a small turbo spooling up.
'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:53 AM   #9
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

That alternator can be replaced DIY but removing that second wire is very tough. Getting the alternator in and out of the car is very tough.

The auto transmission alternators were updated with a clutch-pulley; if you have an auto trasnmission, did yours come with that clutch pulley or just the cheap stamped steel one?
AstraFasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #10
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enoughmaschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Mine is a manual, so it just had the standard pulley. I noticed on Rockauto there were two part numbers for auto vs manual, because of the pulley. But at Advance Auto where I bought mine, they use the same part number for both auto and manual. Which means if you have an auto and buy your alternator from a parts store, it may not come with the updated pulley.

I did not find the wires very hard to remove. The small plug wire was a little tight, but a flat-head screwdriver helped it off. It's just a darn tight fit through that window inside the wheel-well. The whole job definitely took less than an hour though.

My "new" (re-man) alternator is still making the whining / whirring noise. Not sure if it's just due to the low quality of the re-manufacturing process or if something is wrong. But it runs great and keeps it charged. I have the lifetime warranty in case that changes...but that means doing this job again
'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup
Old 06-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #11
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

You got that done quickly.

Are you sure it is the alternator making the noise?

I got some noise from belt tensioner and from not-so old belts. Also some from AC compressor.
AstraFasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:24 AM   #12
maschinenbauer

2008 Astra XE

I'm sure it's alternator. It's the only part I replaced. After some more research, it seems a whiny new alternator is a sign of low-quality re-manufacturing. I can't hear it on the highway, only at low speed in high RPM, so it doesn't really bother me. If it craps out I'll just warranty it.
'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup