SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How much Classic Car status does a 1994 SW2 Have? 1-10 (1=lowest, 10 the highest)
1. None. It's strictly a beater car and deserves the fate of the crusher. 1 25.00%
2. If it lives another 20 years so be it, but it has no nostalgia. 1 25.00%
3. It has a tiny bit of nostalgia, but is not worth spending any money on it. 1 25.00%
4. It has a fair bit of nostalgia, and I might be willing to put money in it to keep it going. 0 0%
5. It has a lot of nostalgia, and I think it belongs on my front lawn, as a rusting ornament only. 0 0%
6. It has a lot of nostalgia, and I have many memories of this car from my childhood. 0 0%
7. It has a tremendous amount of nostalgia, and I still own a first-gen S-Series today. 1 25.00%
8. Tremendous nostalgia; it's the car I fell in love with. It warrants being restored. 0 0%
9. All of the above, and you had your first kiss in a Saturn. 0 0%
10. All of the above, and you had your first woohoo in a Saturn. 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2016, 06:25 AM   #1
ripplesouth
ripplesouth is on a distinguished road

Heart Seeking a qualified appraisal

I own a 1994 SW2 I use as a daily driver. I purchased this car rust-free two years ago for $1000.

I live in BC. I'm dealing with ICBC to try and get all the glass replaced as it is scuffed up.

I'm suspecting they will try and lowball me and try and write-off the car by posting a ridiculously high repair cost quote ($6500) and an equally insulting car valuation from a so-called "independent appraisal", which is paid for by ICBC, which I highly doubt is independent.

I'm seeking assistance from this Saturn Community to get this car properly appraised, to at least $8000. I have completely overhauled this car and brought back from the dead. This car can live to see the days of a classic car, with your help.

Here is the car on saturnfans (modify your url bar): showthread.php?t=154031&page=246

The condition of the interior is "average"
The condition of the exterior is "average"

Please PM me or reply this post if you think you can help or have some advice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ripplesouth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ripplesouth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ripplesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2016, 07:57 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Seeking a qualified appraisal

A '94 S-Series was under $14k brand new in '94, fully loaded...in perfect condition everything you'd be lucky to sell it for $4000, let alone $8000 today. Anything in "average" condition and I don't understand how you think it'll appraise for more than $2500...

The front & rear glass is more generally expensive than normal because of the odd/extreme curves, figure $300-$400 for the front and over $600 for the rear. The sliding door glass should be $100-$150 per door, those little non-sliding framed in windows are usually $100ea alone. These are USA prices, I'd expect Canadian prices to be quite a bit higher due to lower stock and the cost of importing.

Restore it, put money into it if you love the car...but don't expect to get much more than $15 per $100 spent on the resale especially if you're paying someone else to do all the work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
ripplesouth

Information Re: Seeking a qualified appraisal

Okay, Average was what the ICBC adjuster blurted out. Maybe because I am the owner I am a bit biased about that assessment. I also want to point out that since this car brand is no longer being made within the last 5 years it does qualify for collector plates right now...Look under icbc.com and then /vehicle-registration/collector-mods/Pages/Vintage-vehicles.aspx for the qualifications

I just need to touch up the paint, fix the glass, and the interior, and this car should be good to go as a classic vintage car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ripplesouth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #4
ratwhisperer
ratwhisperer will become famous soon enough

1997 SL1
1994 SL2

To give some perspective - I had a 1995 SW2 (I know it's a year newer), that although it had 246K miles everything was in pretty much perfect condition and it was extremely well taken care of, with no broken anything, and several new parts with beautiful paint, no cracks in glass, A/C blowing cold, etc etc. Beautiful.

I sold it for $1100 about 7 years ago.

Past:
1995 SW2 - Cynthia - sold 246K
2000 SW2 - Ruby - sold 165k
2004 Vue - Jade - traded in
1996 SL2 - Ursula - sold 223K

Current:
1994 SL2 - Nelly Belle - 139K?
1997 SL1 - Cinnamon - 265K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ratwhisperer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ratwhisperer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ratwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Taken from the ICBC Vintage vehicles page
Quote:
Originally Posted by Does my vehicle qualify?
Your vehicle must be:
  • at least 30 years old
  • maintained as close as possible to its original condition with original parts
  • restored to a condition that conforms as nearly as possible to the original manufacturer's specifications
  • owned as a collector's item
  • mechanically sound
So....you can't register _any_ Saturn's as a vintage vehicle until at least 2021 and your '94 has to wait until 2024.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving restrictions
Special occasions only

Vehicles with vintage plates may only be used for special occasions for example; exhibitions, parades, car club activities, community events, weddings and graduations. Everyday pleasure driving is not permitted.
No business use or test driving

An antique vehicle may not be used for business or commercial purposes. The vintage plates can't be used for licensing purposes when test driving antique vehicles. For test-driving, the seller should buy a Temporary Operation Permit which is a vehicle operation permit purchased to provide insurance and licensing for 15 days or less.
Driving at night

If your vehicle doesn't have the lights and reflectors required by the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations, you may not drive it between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise.
Insuring your antique vehicle

You can protect your vintage car investment by buying ICBC optional insurance: Collision, Comprehensive or Specified Perils. Because the use of a vintage vehicle is restricted, you'll probably pay less for these coverages.
With the restrictions from the 2nd part...have fun with your parade float.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #6
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripplesouth View Post
I'm seeking assistance from this Saturn Community to get this car properly appraised, to at least $8000.
That's not how appraisal works.

Appraiser tell you what the value of the item is, the owner does not set the value.

Quote:
I own a 1994 SW2 I use as a daily driver. I purchased this car rust-free two years ago for $1000.
I'm sorry to say, that's about how much it worth with no working a/c. Even with a working one, maybe $1500 max. Cars are money pit, doesn't matter how much work you put into it.

I highly recommend you to stop chasing bad money with good money.

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #7
mattwithcats
mattwithcats will become famous soon enoughmattwithcats will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

Before I replaced the glass, I would try and polish it first.

The Air Force does this to airplanes all the time, given the glass in a cockpit is 6-7 figures, you can guess why...

Second half of this article...

http://m.wikihow.com/Polish-Car-Glass

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 78,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #8
ripplesouth

Information Re: Seeking a qualified appraisal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Taken from the icbc dot com/vehicle-registration/collector-mods/Pages/Vintage-vehicles.aspx"]ICBC Vintage vehicles page

So....you can't register _any_ Saturn's as a vintage vehicle until at least 2021 and your '94 has to wait until 2024.

With the restrictions from the 2nd part...have fun with your parade float.
In regards to vintage yes you are correct. But, in my case, It would be a Collector plate, registered as a limited edition car. 15 Years is the minimum vintage, and the manufacturer had to be out of Business. Saturn is no longer, and so this car is eligible for limited edition Collector status, as long as it is in outstanding condition. After 30 years it can be registered under a vintage plate as well. However I will need deep pockets to pull that off.

References: icbc dot com/vehicle-registration/collector-mods/Pages/Collector-vehicles.aspx

"Age
​To qualify, your vehicle must be one of the following:
25 years or older
A limited production vehicle
​​​15 years or older, and
​​​​1 of no more than 1,500 of that make and model (not edition) produced worldwide by the manufacturer for that model year.
A discontinued vehicle
​15 years or older, and
A manufacturer that owns the "trademark" or "make" of that vehicle has ceased manufacturing vehicles of any kind for at least the last five years.​
"

My parade float is being sketched out as we speak...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2016, 11:20 AM   #9
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
In regards to vintage yes you are correct. But, in my case, It would be a Collector plate, registered as a limited edition car. 15 Years is the minimum vintage, and the manufacturer had to be out of Business. Saturn is no longer, and so this car is eligible for limited edition Collector status, as long as it is in outstanding condition. After 30 years it can be registered under a vintage plate as well. However I will need deep pockets to pull that off.
Having a Collector plate or vintage plate does NOT increase the value of the car. Only thing the plate will increase is the amount of money you will have to pay to your local government for having said plate.

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote