SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
that1man
that1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nice

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Interior lights randomly turning on/off

I just noticed it an hour ago. I hope I didn't do It trying to fix my cig lighter ports, which I did

I'm not sure what is causing this but it killed my battery overnight. I watched the behavior of the lights and they turn off and on very randomly. Sometimes they stay on for a while and turn off then flicker a little and turn off etc.

I tried opening and closing each door and messing with the lights themselves, lightly tapping them, Also, putting the car in drive, reverse, neutral etc. My guess is loose wiring somewhere

Anyone have any idea how to troubleshoot this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to that1man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help that1man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
that1man is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #2
that1man
that1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nicethat1man is just really nice

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Interior lights randomly turning on/off

Also, this is a 2007 Saturn Ion if that helps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help that1man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Can someone please help?! My car battery is dying every night

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-When you repaired the power outlets, were they restored back to original function, fused and switched by the ignition switch or are they live all the time (ignition off)?

If one or both power outlets are live, any connection to outlets must be disconnected before leaving the car or ensuring the power switch to devices are turned OFF to prevent draining battery power.

2-How old is the battery? In general, car batteries last around 5 or 6 years (for good batteries) before croaking. Either recharge the battery using a wall charger or visit your favorite auto store for a free battery check.

3-What's the condition of battery cables? Loose connections, corrosion, poor repairs can affect power for supplying as well as recharging. With a battery in the trunk, chassis serves as ground with a long red positive cable from trunk to main engine fuse box, branching off to feed power to the starter. The "Remote Start' terminal is a stud next to the engine fuse box to connect a jumper cable (red) when jump starting a dead battery. This stud, marked in red, sometimes loosens and prevents battery power to the fuse box and starter. If loose, the electrical system may not work and the alternator will have difficulty recharging the battery. Check to be sure the battery and fuse connections to this stud is securely fastened.

4-A battery needs to be recharged after every engine start. The drive belt should be tight and not loose otherwise the alternator can't supply all the power a car needs while recharging the battery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #5
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Thanks for the reply but I think you might have misread what the issue was.

My problem is the interior light are flickering randomly which is the battery is dying overnight or whenever. It just started happening a few days ago. I checked all the doors. I tried wiggling wires where the cig lighter in the front is connected and other stuff but I can't seem to pinpoint what's making them flicker. sometimes they stay off for a minute maybe sometimes they stay on for the same amount of time and all in between, just randomly

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, are these lights switched on manually or do they turn on by themselves. Describing problems can be misleading unless described in more detail. Is this about the dome lights or instrument panel lights?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:20 PM   #7
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

The lights on the ceiling that turn on when the car doors open. there's 3 of them.. 2 in the front side by side and one in the middle/towards the back

Here is a video of what it is doing

https://youtu.be/t1MOXBhDbM0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #8
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

My guess is that one of your door ajar switches is bad. Most likely the switch for the driver's door, but it could be one of the others. The BCM cuts off power to those three lights when the vehicle is moving, but not when the vehicle is parked. This may explain why the lights turn on/off by themselves. It is unfortunate that the domelight switch doesn't also disable the map lights when it is in the OFF position.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #9
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
My guess is that one of your door ajar switches is bad. Most likely the switch for the driver's door, but it could be one of the others. The BCM cuts off power to those three lights when the vehicle is moving, but not when the vehicle is parked. This may explain why the lights turn on/off by themselves. It is unfortunate that the domelight switch doesn't also disable the map lights when it is in the OFF position.
I tried playing with the ajar switch on the driver side but other than pushing it in as much as I could i don't know what else to look for

Is there a fuse that I can unplug to turn at least the map lights until I figure out what the problem is? Looking at the manual I don't know which fuse it is

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2016, 09:52 PM   #10
bern
Advanced Member
bern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nice

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

I did a test on my own 06 Ion. Locked the doors (with the switch or fob) while holding the door pin switch in. Waited for the security light to blink. Then I released the door pin switch and the dome light lit but also the horn started to beep.
If the you don't get security sounding the horn even thou my 1st suspect was the door pin switch I going with my 2nd suspect switch in the center dome light.

The center dome light is sold as an assemble. Be careful the mount tabs break off easy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:48 PM   #11
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

When my sunroof leaked into my door switches, my car did this. Did it while driving, too. I also think door switch. A multimeter will tell you everything.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:53 PM   #12
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bern View Post
I did a test on my own 06 Ion. Locked the doors (with the switch or fob) while holding the door pin switch in. Waited for the security light to blink. Then I released the door pin switch and the dome light lit but also the horn started to beep.
If the you don't get security sounding the horn even thou my 1st suspect was the door pin switch I going with my 2nd suspect switch in the center dome light.

The center dome light is sold as an assemble. Be careful the mount tabs break off easy.
My Ion is not equipped with an alarm. I just disconnected the bulbs from the map light and turned the dome light to the "off always" position until I figure it out. might go to a dealer or something to have it checked out. Until then, hope someone can help me find the issue

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #13
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
When my sunroof leaked into my door switches, my car did this. Did it while driving, too. I also think door switch. A multimeter will tell you everything.
I have a multimeter! I'm No sure what to do with it. Can you guide?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #14
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

http://bfy.tw/74Zu

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #15
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

If I disconnect all the door switches should the lights stay on or off? I' trying to figure out a way to pinpoint and the only reason I use a multimeter is to check batteries.

So what I'm asking is, if I disconnect a door switch and the lights are still flickering, could it still be that same door switch that I disconnected, but just in the wire or something? Was going to disconnect them all to see what happens.

I have this multimeter set to the wifi icon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #16
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

:facepalm: multimeters don't have wifi, at least not that one. The setting I use is the ohm setting (omega symbol) 0 ohms is closed (allows current) a lot is open. Each switch should have an open position and a closed one. With a defined switching point and no change in the reading with the switch in a given position. And no back and forth readings as the switch moves.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2016, 11:22 PM   #17
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Per the service manual, the door ajar switch closes the circuit when the door is opened and opens the circuit when the door is closed. Unplugging the switches would be the functional equivalent of never opening the doors.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:43 PM   #18
that1man

2006 RELAY-2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Forgot to say that i replaced the door jam switch and that fixed it... Then it started again a few days later. Turned out to be the other side too lol. Found the parts pretty cheap on Amazon. Thanks for the help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!