SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2016, 10:16 PM   #1
mrhappypantz
mrhappypantz is on a distinguished road

Default 02 saturn l300 ambient temp sensor

hi again, i have looked for over a hr for the ambient temp sensor i cannont locate it , someone on here said its behind the bumper on the drivers side, well i surely cant see the probe sitting on the ground and looking through the grill, been underneath poking around and feeling, i see nothing, no wires nothing, any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrhappypantz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrhappypantz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrhappypantz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2016, 11:53 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 02 saturn l300 ambient temp sensor

The outside air temperature sensor only applies to the auto climate control system, the computerized hvac control panel.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Information-1.pdf (125.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf Service Information-2.pdf (125.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf Service Information-3.pdf (125.0 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:10 AM   #3
mrhappypantz

Did the 02 l300 not have the auto climate? Wonder why auto parts listed it for my car? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mrhappypantz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-31-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
mrhappypantz

Is it ok to clean iac valve on this car? And get? Reccommendations? Just trying some preventative stuff if possible

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2016, 12:40 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

No idle air control valve. Your throttle body is all electric/electronic with a servo motor driving the throttle plate to open and close. The electronic pedal tells the ecm how much to open or close throttle - a drive by wire system.

There are some passages in the throttle bore that can allow solvent to soak and possibly damage electronics. The best way to clean one is removing it for bench cleaning with a solvent soaked rag and toothbrush otherwise cleaning on the engine can be done the same way. A heavy duty internal spring keeps the throttle plate closed and requires strong fingers and piece of wood to keep it open for cleaning the throttle bore.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-31-2016, 02:06 PM   #6
mrhappypantz

Ok thank u, is the pedal on these suppose to be slow to respond? Vs my olds intrigue pedal feels (lazy)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2016, 02:28 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

What do you consider slow? There's only 180hp to these L300's, enough for speeding tickets, stoplight racing but no drag racing. At 3200 lbs and four doors to carry four people in low cost comfort, this car ain't no Corvette or Mustang with high hp engines.

If throttle takes five minutes to respond to pedal inputs, there's a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2016, 04:29 PM   #8
mrhappypantz

I do,t mean car slow. Pedal seems mushy? Not real responsive when first pushing pedal etc. Biggish? Comparing to my intrigue . Pedal to resspinse seems sluggish I guess

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2016, 05:11 PM   #9
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

^I'd guess that you've owned and/or driven more cars than the two you're discussing in this thread. If so then you're already aware that different vehicles respond differently depending on many variables: engine power output (HP and torque), transmission type, fuel induction system, vehicle weight, fuel octane rating, tires size, altitude......It goes without saying that no two vehicles, no matter how close in power and weight, will behave equally. Suffice it to say, if there's nothing wrong then avoid fixing a non-existent problem.

Have you resolved the fuel delivery problem yet from the thread linked below? This new concern could be related to that problem as well, could it not?

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222600

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 07-31-2016 at 05:18 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:20 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

To separate drive by wire system problems from engine problems means understanding how drive by wire works. Since it's basically the same as a cable operated throttle, all you need to know is having someone sitting in the driver's seat and exercising the pedal (ignition on) while you observe throttle plate open and close. No snapping the pedal down quickly but in normal driving without the engine running. The pedal being pressed sends position signals to the ecm. The ecm reacts immediately to move the throttle plate. No delay between pedal input to throttle plate movement. You should see throttle plate movement mimicking pedal movement.

Once you understand drive by wire systems as just an electronic throttle with virtually no delay and see how it works, you're likely to find out there's an engine problem. Very few throttle actuators and pedals fail but when they do, either the reduced power indicator is lit and no engine response occurs while driving except for slow speed to drive off to the side of the road or the car isn't drivable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2016, 07:28 PM   #11
mrhappypantz

Yes I changed the fuel pump again and running wise is fine. The throttle sluggish has always been there.(my son's car) just seems (if I was going from a dead stop and snapped pedal more than half way seems to be a slow reaction between pedal and actually getting moving quickly. Figured it might just be the electronic drive by wire system worked slightly different. Car seems to run good. Seems pedal is just different than other normal cars with throttle cable I guess

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2016, 07:30 PM   #12
mrhappypantz

I have new rebuilt injectors for it. Looking for info on replacement steps etc. I don't have service manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2016, 08:36 PM   #13
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Its easy to suspect something without comparison unless you can compare two cars side by side, one with and one without drive by wire. If you're not racing this car with 180hp and use it for normal transportation, jack rabbit starts is not considered a high point for a four door sedan. Try comparing another 3200 pound car without drive by wire and having the same 180 hp then discuss the pros and cons of cable versus electronics. As a side note, have you heard of any complaints from any car made in the last 10 years, all having drive by wire systems? This includes Cadillac, Corvette, Camaro, Lamborghini, Land Rover, Ford Mustang, Maserati, Jaguar, Chevy Impala, Buicks, Toyota Camry, every suv, etc.. I don't think anyone's complaining.

This site may help; http://workshop-manuals.com/saturn/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2016, 09:07 PM   #14
mrhappypantz

sure haven't

REWARD EXCELLENCE!