SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2016, 06:35 PM   #1
Hardy
Hardy is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Nice Sounding Exhaust for Cheap

Today I went a put a thrush glass pack muffler (cherry bomb is the same thing), i went and cut the resonator out and cut the muffler out. i put the thrush exhaust where the resonator was and just a straight pipe and the sound is super nice, its a deeper growl. all it cost me was 52 can for the thrush glasspack and 10 dollars for the straight pipe, super nice and super cheap

2002 saturn sc2 1.9l automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hardy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hardy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2016, 08:47 AM   #2
Medtactics
Medtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
Default Re: Nice Sounding Exhaust for Cheap

Remember that the more straight pipe there is, the less performance you will have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Medtactics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
AltxF4
AltxF4 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

more open pipes=lower exhaust velocity=less scavenging=less power/fuel economy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AltxF4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AltxF4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AltxF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:55 PM   #4
Medtactics
Medtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2

Scavenging takes place at the collector, beyond that it's just making the exhaust vent away from the vehicle and make it quieter. Straight pipes have more surface area and will reduce the velocity and introduce turbulence. Resonators help by allowing the gas to spread out and recollect and exit at a faster velocity.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-31-2016, 09:15 PM   #5
Hardy
Hardy is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

The Power is still there, has not changed, also the fuel millage is a bit better, thinking the old muffler was clogged up a bit, it was pretty rotten. overall i would do this again to any other vehicle

2002 saturn sc2 1.9l automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hardy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hardy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:40 PM   #6
Medtactics

1999 SC2

Well ya the power will be there, all of except about 1hp/1ft LP of torque. It will take a dyno to notice. It will cost you about .5℅ in volumetric efficiency (these motors weren't all that high up on the list with about 73℅ efficiency to begin with). Extra gas use will be negligible, but still as you say $62 dollers vs the $700 I'm looking at to redo the whole exhaust with 2" ID mandrel bent stainless steel from manifold to the tip for about 5℅ increase in all parameters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!