SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2016, 12:57 AM   #1
sthadfield
sthadfield is on a distinguished road

Default 02 SL2 Auto Intermittent Stall

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to these forums but I figured this was the best place to start figuring out what is wrong with my car. 3 weeks back I purchased a used 02 SL2 auto with 125k. It has a coolant leak and the radiator fan has a few quirks but that's stuff I can deal with myself. What troubles me is that 3 days after buying it my car stalled when coming to a stop. It started right back up and ran perfectly well from there. It has stalled 5 times in 3 weeks. It only happens within the first 15 minutes of driving and when coming to a stop sign or light. It dies as if I took my foot off the clutch in a manual...in other words it doesn't downshift. I just changed the tranny fluid and it didn't help. I have a P0442 code, though I doubt it has anything to do with this. I also cannot hear anny hissing akin to a vacuum leak. No leaks detected other than the coolant. Remember, it doesn't do this at all once the car has run for a few minutes and when it does stall, it starts right up immediately. I have no idea where to start. Help?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sthadfield's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sthadfield reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sthadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2016, 04:27 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Default Re: 02 SL2 Auto Intermittent Stall

Do I understand correctly, the engine struggles mightily to keep the car moving as you brake it to a stop, the engine rpm comes down as the car slows until it is no longer running? That would indicate the transmission torque-converter clutch is not disengaging. I would use live-data to verify that, and check out some sensors. Do the brake lights work? I'm wondering if that is a crucial input to the PCM for determining that you are coming to a full stop and it's time to dis-engage the TCC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

There is a separate direct input to the PCM from the brake switch. To test it get to 45-60 mph on the highway and engage cruise control and after confirming cruise operation lightly touch the brake pedal, cruise should drop out before the car even starts to slow down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:47 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Does it stall if you shift into neutral when it just starts to bog down? I would be more inclined to suspect the Torque Converter Clutch solenoid at this point. Particularly if shifting to neutral prevents the stall.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2016, 01:01 AM   #5
sthadfield
sthadfield is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response. I started to stall again today and I put it into neutral with my foot off the gas and it prevented the stall. The cruise control functions properly. Is the solenoid a DIY job?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sthadfield's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sthadfield reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sthadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:30 AM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes, butr do look up which bolts to take out. In the big search box enter valve body replace and that should find you all of the detailed info. Takes a couple of hours to do this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!