SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Green Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
justinbaileym
justinbaileym is on a distinguished road

Default Hybird system not working dealer recomends new timing chain?

-Hello All

I'm posting this for my brother. He has a 07 Saturn Vue green line with 140k on it. He's recently been having issues where his CEL comes on and the auto stop and hybrid functionality will cease working. He's taken it to the dealer and they recommended he get a new timing chain. To me this doesn't add up, he doesn't really have any issues associated with a timing chain having slack or jumping a tooth. I'll post more when I hear back from him, like if he managed to grab the code or the dealership's reasoning behind wanting to replace a timing chain because the hybrid system won't work. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to justinbaileym's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help justinbaileym reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
justinbaileym is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2016, 10:38 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Hybird system not working dealer recomends new timing chain?

You're not alone; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...19#post2201419

Without information on Vue hybrid operation, guessing between a wiring or program issue are my initial thoughts. Unfortunately, electronics and programs are more sophisticated than ever, requiring more knowledge of integrated systems to determine how to diagnose hybrid issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #3
mikeinoki
mikeinoki is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

If you change your oil or filter and have shiny metal particles, you may have a timing chain issue. Pull the valve cover off and inspect the chain and sprockets. Check for slack on the front side of the chain. Slack or jumped timing will cause the crank and cam sensors to go out of sync. This will cause your autostop and hybrid assist to stop working, just like mine did.

Pay attention to the bolt holding the upper front chain guide. When the tensioner goes, the slack in the chain will rub against the front bolt, wearing it down and causing it to strip out of its aluminum threaded hole. The bolt will fall down to the bottom of the oil pan. I left mine down there. I don't think it is hurting anything and the oil pan may not come out without pulling the motor. You may have more damaged bolts on the lower guides, but the upper bolt is usually the worst.

You can get a replacement bolt on eBay that bolts into the outer part of the head where the bolt plug cover goes, instead of back into the stripped out hole. This will save you a big headache trying to fix the stripped out threaded hole.

You may as well replace the balance shaft chain while you have it torn down. Also a good time to replace the water pump if you think it needs it.

This is a common problem on GM 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4L engines.

Here's pics of the replacement guide bolt and the location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1123161820.jpg (75.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 1124161852.jpg (107.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by mikeinoki; 05-24-2017 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: extra info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikeinoki's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikeinoki reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikeinoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinoki View Post
If you change your oil or filter and have shiny metal particles, you may have a timing chain issue. Pull the valve cover off and inspect the chain and sprockets. Check for slack on the front side of the chain. Slack or jumped timing will cause the crank and cam sensors to go out of sync. This will cause your autostop and hybrid assist to stop working, just like mine did.

Pay attention to the bolt holding the upper front chain guide. When the tensioner goes, the slack in the chain will rub against the front bolt, wearing it down and causing it to strip out of its aluminum threaded hole. The bolt will fall down to the bottom of the oil pan. I left mine down there. I don't think it is hurting anything and the oil pan may not come out without pulling the motor. You may have more damaged bolts on the lower guides, but the upper bolt is usually the worst.

You can get a replacement bolt on eBay that bolts into the outer part of the head where the bolt plug cover goes, instead of back into the stripped out hole. This will save you a big headache trying to fix the stripped out threaded hole.

You may as well replace the balance shaft chain while you have it torn down. Also a good time to replace the water pump if you think it needs it.

This is a common problem on GM 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4L engines.

Here's pics of the replacement guide bolt and the location.
Good analysis - makes sense. You're right that this is a common problem. I had "light timing chain noise" on mine (confirmed by the tech), which was one of the reasons that prompted us to move on from the car. The hybrid system still worked perfectly, but I was concerned about the timing system noise getting worse over time and eventually affecting other components. The timing chain replacement quote was substantial, to say the least, and I wasn't prepared to spend that amount on a car we were likely to replace in the short term. We were glad to move on from the car on a happy note, even after about 150k miles.

That's not to say the car isn't worth the timing chain repair, especially if you can do the work yourself.

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote