SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
Cgisick
Cgisick is on a distinguished road

Default Coolant overheating and dumping contents.

I have a 2001 saturn sc2 and have had an on going issue for the past few years off and on. If I let my car idle for too long say at a drive through or stopped by a train, steam will start to rise from the passenger side of my hood and as soon as I kill the engine I can hear as see the entirety of the content of my coolant resevoir dumping onto the ground. Upon inspection the cap of the resevoir has blown off and the tank is empty. This has happened multiple times and I have replaces the thermostat temp sensor, and a couple of hoses which stopped the problem for about a year or so. Recently however my car has had a couple of instances where I will start the car and it sputters, almost dieing, and it idles rough, and now it is dumping all of my coolant again't and popping off the resevoir cap. Huge headache ! Anyou help would be very much appreciated!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cgisick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cgisick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cgisick is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2016, 11:37 AM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2
Default Re: Coolant overheating and dumping contents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgisick View Post
I have replaces the thermostat temp sensor
The what, now?

Do you mean the ECTS, this thing below?

Does your radiator fan turn on when you turn the AC on, or when the temp gauge reaches past half?

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:48 AM   #3
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

Are you saying that the coolant cap is actually "blown off" its threads???
Have you checked ^^ above, and replaced with a new cap from the parts store, or just put the same cap back on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:14 PM   #4
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Replace the cap as suggested above. The older the cap gets, the more it loses its ability to keep pressure (especially in neglected cooling systems with dirty/contaminated fluid). So just replace the cap with a new one that can hold the pressure.

Also, if the heater core (or any part of the cooling system really) is clogged, this may be causing excess pressure buildup. Flush the system with the thermostat removed to fix this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bachands's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bachands is online now   Reply With Quote