SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
randy_s
randy_s is on a distinguished road

Default How hard to disconnect aftermark alarm/remote starter (2002 L200)

Wondering if I can do this myself. The dealer thinks this aftermarket alarm/remote starter system is causing trouble with the car (rear running lights out after tap the brake, dash out, fuel gauge always on E). It's a 2002 Saturn L200. He seemed to think I could probably do it myself.

So, what would I need to disconnect the aftermarket remote starter/alarm? Is it a job the average Joe can do? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to randy_s's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help randy_s reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
randy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: How hard to disconnect aftermark alarm/remote starter (2002 L200)

I have no such system added on to my car and there are only a few have installed these on their cars within this forum. So for those who may know something about this it would probably be helpful if you provided the appropriate model information for the remote alarm/starter set up which you'll be attempting to remove.

If it were me, I would disconnect the battery and start following the wires for that aftermarket remote alarm/starter, remove them and their related electrical components. It's possible that if you have the basic information about this set up then you might be able to access a wiring schematic from the manufacturer. This could simplify the removal process. (However, don't be surprised if there may be another source for the problems you're experiencing.)

276,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 06-28-2016 at 08:14 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:48 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: How hard to disconnect aftermark alarm/remote starter (2002 L200)

One of the few pros and cons to most aftermarket add-ons is the separate fused line supplying power to isolate any shortcomings down the road. I have an aftermarket remote start system with the rats nest of wiring under the driver's side instrument panel. Most aftermarket wiring are conspicuous so if you examine yours, you may find an inline fuse powering your remote start (mine does). Removing it should disable it completely. When aftermarket electronics are installed correctly, it should never interfere with engine functions with exceptions. Remote starting must work seamlessly with GM's security system, Passlock. Early remote start systems interfered and disabled the car inadvertently because of interference to Passlock where Passlock provides theft protection. Early Passlock systems disables injector operations; security will flash quickly during starting when Passlock is active. Remote start systems use a bypass module to temporarily bypass Passlock to allow engine starting without an ignition key and return to security when a timer resets remote starting. Any attempt to drive off without the ignition key, if all remote start systems are integrated correctly, should result in the engine stopping and Passlock detecting a theft where it disables injector operation. Security should flash while attempting to start with injectors inoperative until a 10 minute waiting period passes, leaving ignition ON during this time. Once reset, security stops flashing and cycling the ignition switch off and trying another start should allow engine running.

Remote starting systems, regardless of whether its factory or aftermarket, must work with vehicle anti theft systems. More electronics are in our cars than ever, raising the bar for aftermarket electronics to integrate into existing car electronics otherwise unintended issues can pop up unexpectedly. Disabling them may be as simple as removing its source of power via its inline fuse. Be aware that disabling aftermarket electronics may not correct a problem when its not the aftermarket system causing the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote