SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #1
Fattage
Fattage is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Gas pours out of Evap Canister

I have a 98 Saturn SL2. When I go to the pump it takes 10 minutes to fill the tank because gas splashes back out at me if I fill to quickly. I checked the Evap Canister under the rear wheel drivers side. I hooked up the canister because it wasn't working (no electricity and stuck in the closed position) I ended up replacing it (twice) and fixing the wiring. Now when I started it up the solenoid clicks closes the valve and everything is good. Then When I stop and turn off the car (opening the solenoid) Gas just starts pouring out of the canister so I run to the drivers seat and turn it to the on position to close it, open the gas tank lid, let a large amount of air out of the tank, close the gas tank lid, then take me keys out and it stops pouring gas.

I've been doing some research and it looks like most cars have two lines one for fuel and one for evaporation but my canister looks like it only has one place to put a line in. I have tried finding a diagram of how this system is supposed to work but can't find anything.

For the time being I have plugged the fuel line to the solenoid and left the solenoid plugged in so it still opens and closes (so I get no check engine light) and it's been like that for awhile now but I'm tired of having an inaccurate fuel gauge and taking forever to fill the tank. Do you know what I need to do? Thank you for any help you can give. If you want pictures I can do that too.

I attached a picture of what the solenoid looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large.JPG (17.8 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fattage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fattage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fattage is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Gas pours out of Evap Canister

Have you inspected the lines from the fill to the tank?

Gas splash back indicates improper venting( to me)...

YOU don't top the tank off, ever, right?

WHen you replaced the cannister(twice) did that include the vent valve solenoid?

OR at least an operational inspection of same?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
Fattage
Fattage is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I have not checked the fuel line to the tank yet, thought it was more of a venting issue myself which is why I looked at the solenoid.

The charcoal canister and Solenoid come in one package so yes I replaced the solenoid both times.

I never top off the tank except for the fact that it is hard to tell when the tank is full since it isn't venting properly. I have replaced the solenoid and charcoal canister when the tank was about half full and I started it drove around the block and parked and then it pour out of the solenoid again immediately after.

I just don't know how the tank system is supposed to get rid of the air as I'm filling it since that is the most likely problem. I though it was the solenoid that was supposed to do that but something isn't working right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fattage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fattage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fattage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:06 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Does this help?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #5
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

#8... the "fill limit vent valve" for the gas tank seems very suspect.

I believe the vent valve for the cannister has an entirely different purpose( to vent when "purge" is active)
( from the previous pdf's)
"The components that make up the enhanced evaporative emission system consist of the following:
1. EVAP canister vent solenoid, located on the upper end of the fuel filler pipe just behind the left rear
wheelhouse liner
2. Fuel tank
3. Evaporative emission system canister, nested on the top of the fuel tank at the left, rear corner
4. Fuel tank pressure sensor, inserted on the top of the right, rear portion of the fuel tank
5. System fuel lines and hoses
6. Evaporative system service diagnostic port, located in the canister purge line, under the driver's side
floorpan behind the left front wheel
7. Canister purge solenoid, mounted below the intake manifold on the side of the cylinder block, toward the
rear of the block
ImportantThis component is not part of the enhanced EVAP, but is part of the ORVR. Refer to Theory of
Operation * Fuel Filling and ORVR.
8. Fill limit vent valve (FLVV), located on top of the tank, between the canister and the pump module"

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

Fattage..... can i just point out that you have an SL2. You have posted in the L Series section. You should have posted in the S Series section. You are getting advice from L series owners. If you repost in the correct section, you will get far more responses more relevant to your specific vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote