SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #1
jimisbell
jimisbell is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
Default Why are threads so old?

Almost everything on here is 2011 or earlier. Why?

I just bought my 2008 Red Line. Where can I go to get up to date information on it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jimisbell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jimisbell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Why are threads so old?

1-Are you aware that Saturn folded in 2010?

2-With much fewer Sky's sold and presuming even fewer problems occurred among the few members joining Saturnfans, its not surprising less information is posted here.

Perhaps you might find more in Sky's sister, Pontiac Solstice (forums).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
jimisbell

2008 SKY Red Line

Yes, of course I am aware. I have been a car collector for 60 years. So did all the Skys just expire when the company went out of business? GM didnt go out of business. I have A '56 Studebaker and there are still clubs out there for the Studebaker????

I would have thought that a website for Skys would have become more and more valuable as support from Saturn faded, not less valuable. We need to support each other!!! Unless the car isnt worth saving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jimisbell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2016, 08:18 PM   #4
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Several reasons: More Sky owners( than the rest of us driving regular beater Saturns) are of a means to afford dealer service, instead of gleaning info from discussion boards.

They have better things to do.

They don't get driven much.

They are reliable.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:50 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

When Saturn folded, all models retired. This includes Sky. GM is not the same car company from years ago as it became bloated from inbreeding. Whether Sky becomes a collectors car remains to be seen. In addition to the Solstice forums, perhaps googling for sky forums may help you find other owners with similar interests.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:10 PM   #6
jimisbell

2008 SKY Red Line

well I just got mine (actually its my wifes mothers day present, dont tell her I said "mine") and its so much fun to drive I dont think I will be driving the TownCar much anymore. And the Sky gets far better mileage. So I will be driving it a lot.

As to cost of acquisition, I got it for 7K and its virtually pristine with 88K on the clock and purrs like a kitten. So it doesnt take a wealthy man to own one these days.

And, while I do use the dealer for the Lincoln, I prefer to do my own maintenance on the other 10 cars. When I turned 70 I was having problems getting up from the floor so quit doing my own maintenance....until I discovered the Gym and got back in shape. This year I will be 80 and I dont mind getting on my back under the car anymore. In fact, its fun and rewarding.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #7
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

well said. enjoy your redline. beautiful car and goes like a rocket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #8
RobertJ
RobertJ will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Just because a thread is old doesn't mean it is void of useful information. I'll take the archives here over newer threads most of the time. People create way too many threads for topics that have been covered ad nauseam.

1999 Saturn SL2 automatic (DC Commuter, 92k miles)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 (toy and sometimes commuter, 18k miles)
1996 Jeep Cherokee 5-speed (bad weather commuter, 189k miles)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertJ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertJ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:17 PM   #9
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

Combination of relatively low production numbers and "they don't make 'em anymore."

The kappa platform cars aren't expensive now (nor when they were new).

I doubt they'll ever be particularly collectible since GM still managed to crank out a fair number of Sky and Solstice cars during their brief run.

Congrats on the acquisition, but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it to be a collectible car. And it's not that "interesting" to warrant a vibrant forum ecosystem.

Best,

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:42 PM   #10
jimisbell

2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEmaniac View Post
Combination of relatively low production numbers and "they don't make 'em anymore."

I doubt they'll ever be particularly collectible since GM still managed to crank out a fair number of Sky and Solstice cars during their brief run.

Congrats on the acquisition, but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it to be a collectible car. And it's not that "interesting" to warrant a vibrant forum ecosystem.

Best,
Its already collectable. I collected it and find it almost as beautiful as my E Type. The more people that dont think its acollectors idem, the beter because they will discard themto the junk yards and the remaining ones become rarer.

The Model A Ford exceeded 1 million in production, its a crappy car, slow with no accessories and no artistic style and it is collectable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2016, 08:37 PM   #11
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
Its already collectable. I collected it and find it almost as beautiful as my E Type. The more people that dont think its acollectors idem, the beter because they will discard themto the junk yards and the remaining ones become rarer.

The Model A Ford exceeded 1 million in production, its a crappy car, slow with no accessories and no artistic style and it is collectable.
Spare me. The model A was produced NINETY years ago, not nine.

Good luck with that "collection."

Best,

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #12
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJ View Post
Just because a thread is old doesn't mean it is void of useful information. I'll take the archives here over newer threads most of the time. People create way too many threads for topics that have been covered ad nauseam.
Couldn't be more off the point. New Threads new problems no two problems are the same and HiJacking a old post gives no new information to fix the OP problem whom most likely has moved on. That is why you need to start your own thread for your own problems. Your not the OP.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #13
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEmaniac View Post
Spare me. The model A was produced NINETY years ago, not nine.

Good luck with that "collection."

Best,
Same here we need a car that will take me where I need to go and have A/C to keep me alive in it. We're living in the heat wave nowdays not the blizzard cool weather back then so a little perspective is in order. Last I looked Saturn didn't exist 90 years ago-the planet did but the car didn't.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:27 PM   #14
RobertJ
RobertJ will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russet View Post
Couldn't be more off the point. New Threads new problems no two problems are the same and HiJacking a old post gives no new information to fix the OP problem whom most likely has moved on. That is why you need to start your own thread for your own problems. Your not the OP.
When I research older threads I don't see a need to ever bump them or "hijack" them, so I don't know what you're referring to there. There is plenty to be learned from the archive that is this place. More often than not, the problems we have with these cars are the same time and time again.

This site in archived format would still be ultra helpful to Saturn enthusiasts should a day come that we can no longer post here. Are you saying it wouldn't be?

1999 Saturn SL2 automatic (DC Commuter, 92k miles)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 (toy and sometimes commuter, 18k miles)
1996 Jeep Cherokee 5-speed (bad weather commuter, 189k miles)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertJ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertJ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:30 PM   #15
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

really hard to know what cars will become collectables in the future. still have to think the 8 2010 skys will be worth money some day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #16
Sky Pilot
Sky Pilot is a jewel in the roughSky Pilot is a jewel in the roughSky Pilot is a jewel in the rough

2008 SKY Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

As you can see from my sig, I own 2 Saturns, my LW is a daily driver with 167k miles and the Redline pretty much sits in my garage nowadays under its Noah awaiting great weather weekends here in SoCal. To answer your question though, as fdryer pointed out, Saturn is dead, there are no new models, so as time progresses less and less Skys (and all Saturns for that matter) will be available, so inherent interest diminishes. When I joined this forum in early 2006 and skyroadster.com (sorry for the plug) back in 2007 things were hopping, sales were (no pun intended) Skyrocketing and the Sky and its sister the Solstice in general was abuzz. That was then, this is now. I bought mine new in November of 2007 and have enjoyed 108k miles or is that smiles since then? But really, even the skyroadster.com websiteís participation has fallen off in the past few years. I paid ~$35k for my 2008 new in 2007 and now, as you noted, they can be had for a small fraction of what I paid. So the whole buying demographics has changed. Mostly, unlike yourself, itís the Millennials and Gen X buying them and pretty much ricing them out (shame too). It would be interesting to know of the original ~34,400 Skys and ~65,000 Solstices, how many are still on the road today. That count by itself may tell you also why the lack of posts. After all, if you donít own one, you donít have a need to post any longer.

Enjoy yours, my friend, I have for the past 9 years (this month)Ö

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky Pilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:50 PM   #17
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

during the 2007 model year people came in cash in hand to buy them and none around. we had a years worth of them sold on orders. it would be interesting to know how many they could have sold in the beginning if they would have built them. saturn said they wanted to keep the demand so they limited production....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!