SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #1
datlas
datlas is on a distinguished road

Default "Saturn" Bicycle Roof Rack by Saris, Instructions?

A friend of mine used to have a Saturn SL and asked me if I wanted his Saturn specific roof-mounted bicycle rack. As an avid road cyclist, I said sure. He showed me what he remembers about how to mount the rack, but there are some adjustments involved that are not so obvious. For example, the rubber base seems to be floating about 1/2 inch above the roof when it should be touching the roof. I am not sure if this is because I have a different gen SL from what he had and/or what it was designed for, mine is a 1998. He does not recall what year his Saturn was since it's long gone.

I checked google and youtube for a video with no luck...I suspect this rack was made in the 1990's before youtube was popular.

Does anyone know of a source online for the manual and/or instructions? It's a pretty nice rack and even has "Saturn" on it. Clearly it's designed specifically for Saturns.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to datlas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help datlas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
datlas is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2016, 03:34 PM   #2
Ubie
Ubie is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Re: "Saturn" Bicycle Roof Rack by Saris, Instructions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
A friend of mine used to have a Saturn SL and asked me if I wanted his Saturn specific roof-mounted bicycle rack. As an avid road cyclist, I said sure. He showed me what he remembers about how to mount the rack, but there are some adjustments involved that are not so obvious. For example, the rubber base seems to be floating about 1/2 inch above the roof when it should be touching the roof. I am not sure if this is because I have a different gen SL from what he had and/or what it was designed for, mine is a 1998. He does not recall what year his Saturn was since it's long gone.

I checked google and youtube for a video with no luck...I suspect this rack was made in the 1990's before youtube was popular.

Does anyone know of a source online for the manual and/or instructions? It's a pretty nice rack and even has "Saturn" on it. Clearly it's designed specifically for Saturns.
Have you tried contacting Saris support? They're a pretty solid company and might be your best bet:

https://www.saris.com/support/contact

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ubie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ubie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:58 PM   #3
datlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubie View Post
Have you tried contacting Saris support? They're a pretty solid company and might be your best bet:

https://www.saris.com/support/contact
I will try them. My guess is that since this product is so old, they may not support it. Good suggestion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help datlas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2016, 06:53 PM   #4
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

My best guess without seeing pictures of said rack or knowing what car you have or what car it was used on....

..... is that the rack was originally for a coupe and has the short roof adapter similar to the photo below. Your car is a sedan perhaps, the available roof mount position is longer and you don't need the extensions. I'm guessing the the middle towers are not touching. I believe they are not supposed to; this point pulls the back towers down onto the roof.

How did I do?

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #5
datlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
My best guess without seeing pictures of said rack or knowing what car you have or what car it was used on....

..... is that the rack was originally for a coupe and has the short roof adapter similar to the photo below. Your car is a sedan perhaps, the available roof mount position is longer and you don't need the extensions. I'm guessing the the middle towers are not touching. I believe they are not supposed to; this point pulls the back towers down onto the roof.

How did I do?

Thanks for the reply. The rack does not have middle towers. The front and back bases, when clamped above the doors, the base is floating 1/2 inch above the roof.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2016, 07:39 PM   #6
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. The rack does not have middle towers. The front and back bases, when clamped above the doors, the base is floating 1/2 inch above the roof.
Do you have any way to post up some photos or a link to a photo site to show us?

From what I see at the Saris website they do not even make a base rack anymore. It was determined that the Saris and OEM was the same product. Your rack is likely an OEM/Saris rack, a Thule rack or a Yakima rack. There are others but these are the most common.

You can a good photo of my Yakima rack fitment here

Here are some others that I pulled off the web....

You'll notice the different angles of the clips for the OEM rack in photo 1 and 2; first gen versus second and third. That was to accommodate the added trim in the later years. This may be your issue.

Current rides

Last edited by trottida; 05-30-2016 at 07:49 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2016, 07:41 PM   #7
Ubie
Ubie is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

This also might be a relevant thread:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139989

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ubie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ubie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:00 PM   #8
datlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
Do you have any way to post up some photos or a link to a photo site to show us?

From what I see at the Saris website they do not even make a base rack anymore. It was determined that the Saris and OEM was the same product. Your rack is likely an OEM/Saris rack, a Thule rack or a Yakima rack. There are others but these are the most common.

You can a good photo of my Yakima rack fitment here

Here are some others that I pulled off the web....

You'll notice the different angles of the clips for the OEM rack in photo 1 and 2; first gen versus second and third. That was to accommodate the added trim in the later years. This may be your issue.

The rack I have looks like the first picture you posted. I am guessing it's for an earlier gen than my 98 and the trim prevents it from fitting properly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2016, 08:12 PM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Probably for a '91-'95 4dr, bodystyle changed for them starting in '96.

If you remember what the guys car looked like, Wikipedia at least got the generations correct: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_S-Series

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:25 PM   #10
trottida

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
The rack I have looks like the first picture you posted. I am guessing it's for an earlier gen than my 98 and the trim prevents it from fitting properly.
You'll have to source out a set of OEM or Saris clips for a 96-2002 sedan then. They are probably a rare find but you may get lucky and find some used clips on eBay. I'm assuming the Saris design is similar to Yakima and Thule and you just change out the clips. The feet and load bars are interchangeable from manufacture and models.

I have no clue where you would find the product numbers now. Saris doesn't seem to show them on their site anywhere. Normally they would be in the Support area like Yakima and Thule.

Current rides

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2016, 08:44 PM   #11
trottida

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Front is clip 70 according to this old thread. The rears are a bit of mystery but are PA and DR. You have clip 21 front and rear from the Gen1 roof line.

OEM Rack Thread

I'd be tempted to try bending the ones you have to make them curve more and fit.

Current rides

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-31-2016, 07:35 AM   #12
trottida

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

GM Parts Depot.caI did find the racks in the parts manual but the item you want is not listed. It is noted as item 13 in the parts listing note for item 1 but does not show in the diagram. Maybe another member has the full listing for 1998 and can give you the part number. I think OldNuc does as he owns a 98 SL2.

RACK PKG/ROOF (REMOVABLE) & ACCESSORIES parts listing

Current rides

Last edited by trottida; 05-31-2016 at 07:50 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-31-2016, 08:35 AM   #13
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I have an SC2 but I also have the parts book and will scan the 2 pages of info later today. No directions but drawings of the various parts. I think you can make this fit if you are real careful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:34 AM   #14
trottida

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Here's the S Series Fit Guide for Saris Roof Racks which I found >here<. Looks like they never produced a clip for 96-02 for their own version of the same rack. Looks like OEM clips are your only option to seek out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saris Roof Rack Fit Guide - Saturn S Series.JPG (93.9 KB, 36 views)

Current rides

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-31-2016, 03:30 PM   #15
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

This is from the parts book and will show what was originally available. Some parts may still be available. Part number search works best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roofracka.jpg (170.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg roofracklista.jpg (215.8 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:51 PM   #16
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here's a copy from my luggage rack set of instructions and some pics with ski/snowboard racks adapted to it. If your roof rack is the same one trotida shows (pic#1, Saturn logo), I have the same one for my '03 L300. I bought the rack from one dealer and had to order the clips/brackets from another ($11?). The clips/brackets are the bottom rubber coated steel pieces that are bolted to each base that rests on the roof. If you examine the twist knobs you'll see how the clips are adjusted for the width of the roof. The threaded rod runs across the bar and as the knob is turned, cw or ccw depending on driver or passenger side adjustment, the clips (custom formed) grab a lip on each side of the roof frame and clamped (long C-clamp). If you look underneath the base of one rack, you should see the clip bolted to the threaded rod. The instruction sheet shows the clips separate from the roof rack. Clips and hardware came in a separate sealed bag. Since mine were new, after I bolted a clip to each base, it flopped around but is designed this way to allow alignment as the rack is clamped to the roof. While your car is a '98 SL and mine an '03 L300, it appears the roof/luggage rack is the same with possibly different clips/brackets to accommodate different roof frames. Hopefully your clips fits otherwise you may have to shop online and/or call GM dealers to see if they have these clips hiding in an unmarked parts bin. ebay too. Worse case is fabricating clips and applying a rubber coating to prevent paint scratches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rr1.jpg (200.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg rr2.jpg (196.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg rr3.jpg (97.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg rr4.jpg (135.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg rr5.jpg (101.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1637.jpg (178.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150109_201651.jpg (123.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150109_201725.jpg (112.5 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:38 PM   #17
trottida

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
This is from the parts book and will show what was originally available. Some parts may still be available. Part number search works best.
This is exactly what you are looking for; I knew OldNuc would come through. The part number for the clips for the Sedan is 21124806.

Current rides

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-31-2016, 07:44 PM   #18
datlas

Thanks for the replies. Looks like a doable project if I can find the parts!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #19
datlas

grr. I called my local GM dealer and they say the part is discontinued. They can't get it. I will have to look harder.

Any tips?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-07-2016, 08:24 AM   #20
datlas

OK crap I found it online but after I ordered it they said it's discontinued.

Any suggestions??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!