SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #1
jarellg
jarellg is on a distinguished road

Default 1994 SL1 blowing white smoke after shifting out of 1st gear

Hi all. So this just started happening today driving home from work. I noticed when shifting from 1st to second I get a puff of white smoke coming from the tail pipe. I also noticed it while down shifting from 4th to third. It doesnt over heat. Still runs smooth, just that dang white smoke that just started happening. Any body have any ideas of what it could be??

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jarellg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jarellg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jarellg is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Default Re: 1994 SL1 blowing white smoke after shifting out of 1st gear

What PCV valve do you have? That would be the easy answer. If the PCV system isn't letting oil into the combustion chambers, then it is probably valve-stem seals or piston rings. I'm guessing the rings, since they seem to pass a lot of oil on nearly all of these engines.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:10 PM   #3
jarellg

I have the original pcv system and the original rings. My car does burn ALOT of oil. I have to put like almost a quart every week. What happens if i keep driving it like that....other than it might blow more and more smoke. I ask because Im going to have to drive it like that until at least this weekend....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jarellg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Cancel the panic, it can probably go for years like that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:27 PM   #5
jarellg

really?. how would i know if the rings or the valve stem seals are bad. it runs at 80 mph with no problem never over heating...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #6
marko16
marko16 has a spectacular aura aboutmarko16 has a spectacular aura aboutmarko16 has a spectacular aura about

Yours is close to where mine is. I'm at 411xxx miles and mine is clattering now quite loudly. Can I guess that an oil control ring completely collapsed. I'm at a quart every 200-250 so I've just been dumping used oil in. I figure I'll go 400 more miles and call it good. I need half the AV system off this car for another.

Funny it took so long to see mine smoke, now it's pretty bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marko16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marko16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marko16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:01 PM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

check coolant level, see if it has dropped any? and check reservoir for any 'milkshake'?

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #8
marko16
marko16 has a spectacular aura aboutmarko16 has a spectacular aura aboutmarko16 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarellg View Post
really?. how would i know if the rings or the valve stem seals are bad. it runs at 80 mph with no problem never over heating...
Compression tests are the real test, but given these cars burn oil, most of the oil is through the rings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marko16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marko16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marko16 is offline   Reply With Quote