SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2016, 12:26 PM   #1
jacobprange
jacobprange is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 L200 Headlight troubleshooting.

Hello everyone, I am new to the forums and this is my first post.

I am having trouble with the low beam headlights, only, on my l200. Two days ago while in auto mode during the day the headlights, and the green lamp icon on the dash, began flashing continuously. The only way to stop it was to go into full time on mode, the top selection on the switch which turned on the headlights. The flashing stopped last night and now both headlamps are inop. The high beams and yellow day running lights work but not the low beams. All associated fuses check good and the headlight relay by the drivers feet clicks when the headlights are turned on. I get zero volts across the plug on the headlight with it disconnected from the lamp. Any ideas or tips as where to go from here would be much appreciated. I'm really trying to rule out everything else before I go for the BCM.

Thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacobprange's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacobprange reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacobprange is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2016, 12:39 PM   #2
jacobprange

Default Re: 2003 L200 Headlight troubleshooting.

Something I forgot to add. Since the relay is clicking when the headlights are turned to full time on, does that mean the BCM is ruled out since the control side of the relay is getting power and a ground?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jacobprange reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2016, 01:52 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Bcm failures are usually accompanied by several symptoms so this may not be bcm related. There are two relays for DRL operation, a DRL relay in the underhood fuse box and the headlamp relay in the left instrument panel fuse box. Basic DRL descriptions are about using various wiring schemes to use low, high or turn signal lights during daytime driving for conspicuous attention. Wiring might use series or parallel circuits, sometimes including a large ceramic resistor to reduce current in order to prolong lamp life. I'm having difficulty with the wiring drawing as I see a discrepancy, a possible error in the drawing that makes it difficult to determine which way to proceed. The bcm controls both relays.

Are both low beam lamps intact? Each lamp element not split? Examine the DRL resistor by the left front engine compartment. It's a 'U' shaped ceramic device with a plug on one end. Moisture and heat sometimes accelerates corrosion resulting in damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TifToGif.jpg (115.1 KB, 10 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:59 PM   #4
jacobprange

Thank you for the quick reply! I swapped the DRL relay under the hood with a known good relay (AC relay), no fix. I will examine the headlight bulbs and the DRL resistor on my lunch break today at work and post with the results. Is the DRL resistor visible without removing to many components? If not I may not have time to examine it on my lunch break and will in the morning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #5
jacobprange

Turns out BOTH lamps burnt out at the same time, what are the odds of that? Thanks for your help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2016, 08:34 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I remember my DRL indicator flashing a few years ago and stopped while my low beams were fine (at night). I decided to replace them to see if the Sylvania Ultra Star lamps would improve lighting. Nope. In the 10 years before replacing both low beams, they were fine but the flashing DRL indicator was puzzling until I replaced both lamps. When I examined each lamp, one had its element broken and somehow rewelded itself together to continue working. My guess is when the lamp element separated, the series wired low beam (in DRL mode) circuit opened and was detected by the bcm and flashed the DRL indicator. Daytime driving might have resulted in the low beams flashing on and off while I was oblivious to what was going on. At night, they were fine and if the faulty lamp was blown, I should have been able to see it.

My guess is both(?) low beams blowing out at the same time was detected by the bcm and flashed the DRL indicator. The chances of both lamps blowing at the same time is very rare.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote