SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2016, 06:41 AM   #1
kalenkerby
kalenkerby is on a distinguished road

Default [B] 99 Saturn SL2 Barely Starts, acts Flooded[/B]

I have a 99 Saturn SL2. It barely starts when you crank it. It acts flooded and even smell gas which is a sign of course. But there are no codes. I did a full tune up few months back and still does it. You crank and it will just turn over unless you press the gas almost to the floor. Then is sounds rough but finally clears and runs as long as you have it at high rpms for a while. After a bit, then you can let off the gas. Driving is decent. But let's say you go to the gas station, you park and cut it off. When you crank back up it will start up at higher rpm normally without touching the gas pedal, but the rpms slowly drop until it shuts off . then every time you put it in gear it will die.you have to gun it putting it in gear for it not to die... It SUCKS!!!!! Does anybody know what is going on? I'm afraid to drive it now because it's a time bomb. Help me out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kalenkerby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kalenkerby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kalenkerby is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2016, 07:52 AM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: [B] 99 Saturn SL2 Barely Starts, acts Flooded[/B]

Is your charging system working? Got any voltage readings for us?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:00 AM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Sounds like the ECTS. Most have been changed by now, yours might be an exception.

How to change, in pictures
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24003

richpin video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cucm7QGlsYs

A closeup picture (your car will only have the two-wire one in the lower right)
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/data/500/ECTS4.jpg

< --- More pictures in my gallery

I have not watched this video, but it explains some symptoms and was easier than typing it out agaionn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9b8fXQQqeM

or you can search for "ECTS symptoms" in the 'search saturnfans.com' box at the top of this page. Be sure and let us know what you find - welcome to saturnfans, and take a moment to read through the "new and returning Saturn owners" sticky thread at the top of the S-series General Forum, does a decent job of covering common issues
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #4
kalenkerby

Haven't checked the Voltage yet. But today my wife barely got it to crank at all. Said it flooded 2 times. If it gets driving it does good. But until then it sucks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kalenkerby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2016, 10:35 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If the engine starter cranks the engine, battery voltage isn't an issue. The suggestion to remove and inspect the coolant sensor is more important for new members without familiarity of their car and posting for the first time here. I would take the time to remove the coolant sensor and compare it against pics; the original round nosed plastic ones failed with flat nosed brass ones being the permanent cure against flooded, hard starting problems with excessive fuel on cold engine starts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:58 AM   #6
kalenkerby

[B]i guess to me it seems very strange that a coolant temperature sensor could cause a car to flood and have very hard cranking problems . But anything with wiring can cause problems/B]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2016, 06:00 AM   #7
kalenkerby

And by the way. It is a 96 not a 99.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #8
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

BTT of the spam

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #9
kalenkerby

Default Re:] 99 Saturn SL2 Barely Starts, acts Flooded

ok, changing the CTS fixed it. Mostly. But when I took it out for a drive and when I have the gass pedal in cruising position or just barely giving it the gas, it is jumping. Almost like a misfire but not a real hard jump. Feel like it may be with the fuel, but I'm not sure. If you give it gas or let off completely it stops. Any ideas? But the ECTS fixed the other problems . it was cracked of course

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2016, 12:05 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Search egr valve problems and making a temporary blocking gasket from soda can aluminum or soup can sheet metal. Aluminium will work for a brief drive, long enough to see if it's the egr valve causing this problem or not otherwise sheet metal will last as long as necessary a before and after test. If it isn't egr valve related, other suggestions will follow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:09 PM   #11
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Did you inspect the sockets/contacts in the harness that connects to the ECT sensor? Usually, when the sensor cracks, coolant leaks into the connector and corrodes the contacts. Those have to be clean (and tight) enough to make good electrical connection.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:11 PM   #12
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YRq2Xl58Oo

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 09/30/17: 38,381 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote