SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 11:39 AM   #1
bkskatersd
bkskatersd is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Saturn Sales for June 2003

GM has posted Saturn sales results for June. Overall sales are down 19.8% over last year.

June YTD
Vue 7,798 +52.6% 41,420 +50.9%
L series 5,180 -55.2% 42,548 -11.0%
Ion 12,372 56,530
S series 277 6,508

Total 25,627 -19.8 147,006 +0.9%

This is the quote from the Press Report on the GM website:

"Saturn VUE had record sales for the month (7,798), up 53 percent and for the second quarter (20,767). ION sales continued to improve, with 12,372 deliveries in June."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bkskatersd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bkskatersd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2003, 01:00 PM   #2
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

The L sales really tanked

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2003, 01:07 PM   #3
Leo
Leo is on a distinguished road

Wasn't the VUE released with very limited numbers last year because the 4cyl VTI came late in the summer?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2003, 02:11 PM   #4
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

We might see over 100k IONs this year ... not bad..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2003, 03:23 PM   #5
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

Saturn sold 56,530 IONs for the first half of this year compared with 70,515 S Series cars the first half of last year. The economy was poor both years but the S Series was a ten year old design in its last year of production.

Compare the ION to the CIVIC, or Corolla, or even the Focus sales and you get an even worse picture. Those cars sell 300,000+ units, year after year. Saturn used to sell almost 300K cars a year in the mid 1990s with only the one model. They are looking like they might hit that mark this year with all THREE models combined. :-(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2003, 03:35 PM   #6
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

With VUE and ION sales figures to compete internally, L-series is only 2618 short than VUE in June, the number doesn't look too bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2003, 03:44 PM   #7
SonataInFSharp
SonataInFSharp is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Personally, I like the lower numbers-- the fewer ION's they sell, the more unique MY car is.

This is why I could never be a businessman.

*Drive it like you bought it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonataInFSharp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonataInFSharp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2003, 05:08 PM   #8
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

I think Saturn needs to not look to mini vans or convertables. Since pick up trucks and SUVs are the market sales leaders a saturn pick up is due. Built in the saturn tradition with dent proff doors and special compartments in the truck bed. Priced to compete with Toyota and Ford.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2003, 07:00 PM   #9
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by L300Boy
We might see over 100k IONs this year ... not bad..
Considering that Saturn originally projected total ION sales (sedans + quadcoupes) in the neighborhood of 200,000 units, anything less than 120K would be a major disappointment.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2003, 08:22 PM   #10
Cap138
Cap138 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally posted by SonataInFSharp
[B]Personally, I like the lower numbers-- the fewer ION's they sell, the more unique MY car is....[B]
My thought's exactly...

also, with lower sales numbers come larger incentives...
(although, it's too bad it's at the cost of Saturn Corp.)

2008 Astra 5-dr XR
black sapphire, manual
leather, sport, sunroof, adv audio
2000 SL1
2003 Ion3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cap138's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cap138 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2003, 09:08 PM   #11
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

You gotta wonder what kind of deals the 6500 people got on the S-series. They had to really blow them out in order to move those I'd bet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2003, 09:09 PM   #12
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

With how the poor Ion was ripped by reviews in C&D, Consumer Reports, and how all the smaller reviewers mostly copied the bigger ones with the same comments, I'd be shocked if the Ion made it to 200K like they predicted.

Many people who took a chance on the new Ion are former Saturn owners, people who took a test drive and liked it, people who like being different, etc., and given how terrible the economy is with job losses and budget crisis all over if the Ion breaks 120K for a first year model I will be impressed.

So far I really love this car. I was concerned that my '03 Ion would have a hard time replacing me loved '92 SL2 Greenie, but so far I love it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2003, 09:17 PM   #13
silverplum
silverplum is on a distinguished road

If the L Series sales are really down, then Saturn should take a whole look at its marketing department and ask what are they doing wrong?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverplum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverplum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 12:00 AM   #14
johnsocal
johnsocal is on a distinguished road

I just bought a loaded Ion Quad Coupe-3 and I love it.

I was one of those very skeptical people who (at first) didnt like the new Ion at all. After all the negative reviews in car mags and what appeared to be an odd new look I thought that Saturn really messed up.

As the months past and I really started to compare specs and features in cars under $20,000 and I kept on coming back to the Ion quad Coupe as fitting my needs the best. The more I saw the Ions on the road I found myself really liking them and the more I started to anticipate the arrival of the Quad Coupe. The few occasions I went down to my local dealer to check out the Ions the more I liked the center IP and appreciated its unique design and features.

Besides the Nissan Murano, Audi's and Mini's who else has a car with a revolutionary CVT automatic tranny and only the tiny Mini has a CVT in a car under $20,000 like the Ion Quad-Coupe.

Even the official performance specs directly from Mazda put the Automatic 210HP version of the RX8's ($26,000 base price) 0-60 @ 9.5 seconds (3.5 seconds slower then the Rx8's 250HP manual version). Theres a good chance that a CVT equipped Quad-Coupe ($16,000 base price) could beat a automatic Rx8 in a stoplight drag. (Wouldnt that make a great commercial)

As time goes by people will start to realize what an incredible bargin the Ion is and especially the Quad-Coupe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnsocal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnsocal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 05:16 AM   #15
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Jaseballs point is well taken. ION has a steep hill to climb when C&D bashes you and consumers does the same. Many buyers consider there words as the buying point of their choice.And the little guys like Fobes who dont know what they are talking about(ION to replace L series) have followed in there foot steps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 07:37 AM   #16
kknobl
kknobl will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE
2008 Outlook XE

Quote:
Originally posted by silverplum
If the L Series sales are really down, then Saturn should take a whole look at its marketing department and ask what are they doing wrong?
Amen to that. I think the L-cars are some of the best Saturn makes right now. I can not figure out for the life of me why they don't sell better. They're not bad cars at all. But people aren't going to buy a car that they don't know exists.

Look, if you will, at the commercials for the VUE and the ION. These are good ads. Why? Because they tell you about some of the cars features - i.e. electronic power steering (VUE and ION), 140 horsepower (ION), etc. These cars have seen record sales (VUE) or steadily improving sales (ION). It tells consumers WHY they should consider that vehicle when shopping.

And then pay attention to the ads for the L-Series. They don't mention the power of the 3.0 V6. They don't mention the European sport sedan heritage of the car. Bottom line: they don't give consumers a reason to consider the L-cars. Saturn needs to give those loyal Toyota and Honda customers a reason to come in and see what the L has to offer.

That, in my opinion, is where Saturn's maketing has failed. They have never really known how to market the L cars properly.

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kknobl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kknobl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 10:47 AM   #17
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

There are few loyal Toyota and Honda customers who will give Saturn or any domestic make a chance, even if in reality the domestic is as good or better. Perception is hard to change and just how I like to side with domestics because my parents always bought domestic or German cars I find myself doing the same.

The L has one of the best Saturn ads I have seen in a long time - the box commercial where everyone is driving and washing boxes and it is featured in all Saturn wide ads, such as the "People shopping," commercial.

I did consider an L over my Ion. The VUE and any SUV isn't my cup of tea and I don't need a car like that. The reason I went with the Ion over the L was because it was the new Delta platform and had the Ecotec 2.2 and was cheaper than an L200.

The L is also on the verge of a massive platform change to the Epsilon platform with a new high feature V6, so if you are in the know and like the L, you may be better off waiting to see how the new mid-size looks and performs or even wait for a high performance Red Line L.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 12:33 PM   #18
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

But according to the rumors hovering around here, sedan L-series line will demise in '05 and what left will be a 'sport-wagon' on another platform.

Marketing did screw big time on the L-series....it's a one fine car but nobody (except us) noticed/interested in..... Saturn needs the hypes!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 01:08 PM   #19
bkskatersd
bkskatersd is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2007 VUE 3.5L

I think it is very troubling that the ION is not equaling or surpassing the S-Series. Although I'm not surprised given the press trouncing the car. While I don't necessarily agree with all that has been said in the press, my experience with an ION over a couple of days I found the car to be disappointing.

I think Saturn took a risk on the Center Mounted Dash and it is turning out to be a bad decision. I know some people like it, personally I'm not big on it but could get used to it, but the fact is that most of the car buying public doesn't like it. Coupled with a poor materials for the interior and sluggish performance with the automatic, the ION has an uphill battle for sales. Sounds like 2004 updates fixes much of the complaints, but it'll be interesting to see if these fixes will be enough to overcome the Center Mounted Dash issue. Hopefully these fixes will make the car more desireable and Saturn Marketing will do a better job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bkskatersd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bkskatersd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2003, 07:16 PM   #20
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Given that many Saturn buyers are return customers I'd bet that a lot of what happened to the L was what happened in our household. When it came to buying our last larger vehicle we compared the VTi VUE to an LW200 and the VUE won. When it came to buying a new smaller more efficient second car we compared the ION3 to a L200 and the ION won. I was very satisfied with our 2000 LS1 but today we are no longer L owners.
The marketing failure to me affected mostly the new customers that the L failed to win to Saturn. In many ways the L-series reminded me of what I always thought of Mercury. They had a decent enough reputation and a loyal following of owners but they never quite established a niche of what they were and to who they were trying to sell. Unfortunately I believe that the L redesign made that problem worse, not better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread