SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 04-05-2016, 07:02 AM   #1
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default speedometer jumping / occational miss / hesitation

Speedometer jumping

On the last couple test drives, I noticed the speedometer would jump around It would seemed to do it randomly, but it would do it more often whenever I made a sudden and profound throttle change i.e. stomp on the gas, or let up off the gas.

Hesitation

ALSO - I would get a random hesitation, On one drive, it was real bad, any time I made a moderate gas acceleration, I'd get what felt like a misfire. No codes were set.

SOLUTION:

I was reading through several posts on this subject and buried in one of the posts was someone who had the same problem, they went through and cleaned all the grounds and that solved the problem.

YES - This also solved my problem - The speedometer is now rock solid and I've experienced no hesitations / misfires.

This took about 30 minutes.

Disconnect the battery. Remove the bolts and clean the engine and connector surfaces for the ground connections on the engine. Reassemble the bolt and lug connectors. I also added a couple ground wires just as additional insurance. I used a small wire brush and a piece of #200 sand paper to scratch, clean, and expose good metal on the surfaces and the connectors lugs.

Evidently the vehicle speed sensor located on the transmission is very, very sensitive to minor voltage fluctuation that can caused by the dirty grounds.

PHOTO 1 (yellow circles)

#1 This is a short ground strap (maybe 3 inches long) that runs between the head and the valve cover, remove the strap, clean the head and valve cover surfaces, the underside of the bolt head, and the both sides of the strap lugs.

#2 This is the ECM, there is one black ground wire under one of the mount bolts. Remove the bolt and wire, clean the ECM surface, the lug, and the underside of the bolt head, reassemble

#3 This is down near the bottom of the engine just to the right of the oil filter. There are two black wires and a large battery cable. Remove the bolt and wires, clean the block, both sides of the lugs, and the bottom of the bolt, reassemble.

PHOTO 2 (Red lines)

I added two additional ground wires, I used #12 wire with crimp lugs.

#1 STRUT TOWER > VALVE COVER > ECM BOLT

Clean the paint and surface under the strut tower bolt, On the valve cover, there is a threaded hole on the back left, do NOT use the valve cover hold down bolts.

On the ECM, I used the same bolt that has the black ground wire.

#2 VALVE COVER STRAP > BODY GROUND POINT

I used the same bolt the strap is installed, and on the other side, I used the same bolt as the body ground. Clean the body ground lugs while you have the bolt off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ground_3_600.jpg (90.1 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg Ground_4_600.jpg (89.8 KB, 195 views)
2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

Last edited by waiter21; 04-05-2016 at 07:16 AM.
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #2
thegreatbriguy
thegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: speedometer jumping / occational miss / hesitation

Do you remember what the battery cable grounding bolt looked like? did it have a washer? On mine, the two smaller wires were attached to a long vertical bolt in front of the starter and I think the battery cable was below the oil filter as you described but I want to get it as close to original as possible.

ps. I tried to give you reputation for this great post but it said I had to spread the love before I could give you any more, so someone else post some good pics...
thegreatbriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #3
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

All three wires (the large battery cable and the two smaller black wires) went under the bolt. The bolt had a large, thick, flat washer on it.

The two small black wires had what looked like factory lugs, they were like 1 inch square.

The photo is of my Oil Sender (I removed the starter so I could get at it.

However, I noted on this photo where you can see the two black wires and the battery cable (yellow). These go to a bolt that you cant see in this photo.

I also marked the bolt that you might be describing??? Is that the bolt where your two black wires go? If so, that would be perfectly acceptable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GroundBolts.jpg (96.6 KB, 129 views)
Old 04-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #4
thegreatbriguy
thegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
All three wires (the large battery cable and the two smaller black wires) went under the bolt. The bolt had a large, thick, flat washer on it.

The two small black wires had what looked like factory lugs, they were like 1 inch square.

The photo is of my Oil Sender (I removed the starter so I could get at it.

However, I noted on this photo where you can see the two black wires and the battery cable (yellow). These go to a bolt that you cant see in this photo.

I also marked the bolt that you might be describing??? Is that the bolt where your two black wires go? If so, that would be perfectly acceptable.
Yes, that is the bolt. I couldn't see it serving any other purpose but it seemed the battery cable went in another location buy the way the wire was bent. I believe it goes in the one your described under the oil filter.
thegreatbriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #5
waiter21
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 2.2L

It should be OK, make sure the surfaces are clean. This wires at this location may be in the way if you need to change or work on the starter.