SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #1
dwight25
dwight25 has a spectacular aura aboutdwight25 has a spectacular aura about

Question 17 fault codes out of nowhere

Hi everyone-

My wife and I accidentally drained the battery on our '07 Saturn Vue (4cyl auto transmission) earlier today. AAA came and jump-started it, but ever since then we've had a check engine light and the Traction Control light on (TC button doesn't work to turn it off). The transmission has also felt really jerky when it shifts gears.

I plugged in my Fault reader when we got home, and here are the codes that come up:

P0722 - output speed sensor circuit no signal
P0562 - system voltage low
P0563 - system voltage high (how can those both be true?)
P0717 - input/turbine speed sensor circuit no signal
P0727 - engine speed input circuit no signal
P0742 - torque converter clutch circuit stuck on (could this explain the transmission issues?)
U0100
P062F
P2637 - torque management feedback signal A
P0120 - throttle/pedal position sensor/switch A circuit
P1818
P0974
P0700 - transmission control system (MIL request)
P0741 - torque converter clutch circuit performance or stuck off (again, how can this and P0742 be true at the same time?)
P1816
P2761 - torque converter clutch pressure control solenoid control circuit/open
P1887

I checked all of the fuses and relays in the engine compartment and they all appear fine. The only thing that makes sense would be that there's something wrong with the PCM, like it's getting a noisy signal or something. I tried resetting it by leaving the car "on" (not running) for 60 seconds per my Haynes manual, but it had no effect.

Is there something else I should check? Any clue what might be wrong? And could the battery drain/jump start this morning have caused all this trouble, or is that unrelated?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dwight25's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dwight25 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dwight25 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2016, 05:54 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 17 fault codes out of nowhere

Make sure battery is fully charged - you'd expect about 12.5 volts with engine off.

Take a peek in the center console fuse block (next to front Pax left foot) as there are a couple of key ECM fuses therein.

Many of those codes could be result of severe undervoltage condition.

Your Vue would have separate engine control module (ECM) and transmission control module (TCM).

Either or both may be angry at undervoltage and lets hope one or both were not whacked when AAA did jump start.

Do all codes return if you clear them?

If yes - I think I'd disconnect battery + cable and then either press and hold brake pedal or turn on park lights for a few seconds ... then reconnect battery cable.

This step will drain any residual voltages stored in TCM and ECM and will put you back in a start fresh condition.

Incidentally, lack of power can cause ECM (and TCM) to lose any of the "learned values" the silly things are supposed to collect and store as you drive the Vue.

After reconnecting battery - turn key to ON for about one minute - do not advance key to START during this period - then key off and then try to start.

The one minute delay after new battery connection is needed for auto throttle system to establish throttle body idle setting.

If things appear normal - you'll need to drive at various speeds - while using various electrical loads - for ECM to relearn correct RPM under various conditions.

My fingers are crossed.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Make sure battery is fully charged - you'd expect about 12.5 volts with engine off..
Ditto.

A jump'll get OP going but not charge up the battery. Get a charger.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
dwight25

Thank you, this seems like great advice. I didn't think to look for ECM fuses in the interior fuse panel. I'll check all of those.

I also didn't realize there was a separate Transmission Control Module. I'll see if I can find that tomorrow.

Thanks again, I'll post again if I find anything that may be useful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dwight25 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:29 AM   #5
dwight25

Yesterday I checked the rest of the fuses and relays and nothing was wrong, so I tried clearing the fault codes, then draining the battery and letting it sit with the key in "run" for a minute before starting it again. No fault codes reappeared and the shifting felt normal.

I think what happened was, when the AAA guy jump started the car, the ECM suddenly had to make the engine run without knowing any of the default values for the sensors, so it was able to run but it was having a hard time controlling anything properly. I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious.

Thanks again for the great advice. I was all set to just drop it off at my mechanic and rent a car for a few days. I owe you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!