SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
saturnaura08
saturnaura08 has a spectacular aura aboutsaturnaura08 has a spectacular aura about

Default RVS Issue on 2008 Saturn Aura

I have a 2008 Saturn Aura and the factory remote start hasn't worked for a while now. Pressing lock followed by the start button only causes the car to honk several times like an alarm.

I read that a faulty hood latch can cause certain vehicles to think that the hood is open and refuse to start. Jumping the hood latch connection to an always closed state didn't fix the issue.

The only other thing I can think of is that my driver side door lock actuator is failing and rarely locks with the power locks. I have to physically press the plastic lock piece down in order to lock the door. Maybe the car is seeing this door in an unlocked state?

I have a diagnostic tool I've used to look for error codes, but everything looks good there.

All of the other buttons on the fob work fine.

Any ideas? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnaura08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnaura08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnaura08 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2016, 12:56 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: RVS Issue on 2008 Saturn Aura

Here's the service bulletin addressing RVS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #3
saturnaura08
saturnaura08 has a spectacular aura aboutsaturnaura08 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the response! I have since replaced the driver door's actuator / latch assembly so I can be pretty confident that it's not the "all doors must be locked" RVS requirement from the bulletin.

Going down the list of other RVS requirements, I can't seem to find anything that would cause the remote start to not work.

There are no DTC's on my car (checked with diagnostic tool). The keyless transmitter should be operational since all of the other features work with it. I don't think the Aura even has valet mode, but if it does, I'd assume it's not on since the trunk can be opened. Pretty much everything seems to be in order.

The only things I can think of would be some kind of incorrect sensor reading like the vehicle not showing "park" even though it's in park. Sometimes the shifter doesn't latch when it gets shifted to park. Because of this, the key sometimes won't come out. I have to jiggle it a little bit to latch in place, then I can take the key out.

Accelerator pedal position not being 0 is another thing that I could think of. Maybe after years of driving, the accelerator pedal or sensor is worn a little and is constantly reading out a value of slightly more than 0.

Does anyone know what the bulletin means by, "The content theft deterrent system detects an alarm trigger"? Does this mean that the alarm would actually have to be sounding, or can this mean something else?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnaura08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #4
saturnaura08

Figured it out! Sorry for the double post, but I couldn't get edit to work.

There's a chip on the key fob circuit board that can tell when a button is pressed. It has 4 inputs, but the fob has five buttons. In order to make the key fob recognize a 5th button (the remote start), the remote start button essentially activates two of these inputs at the same time.

If you're familiar with electronics, there is a component called a diode that only allows current to flow one way. There are supposed to be two diodes that the remote start button connects to. When the start button is pressed, it activates the "horn" input, and the "lock" input. One of these diodes was not on my key fob's circuit board for some reason. For this reason, only the horn input was being activated which explains why my car would chirp when I tried to start it. To counter this, I can press lock to lock my car, then at the same time press and hold the lock and horn buttons. This starts my car!

It's a quick work around if you're not looking to buy a new key fob and have it programmed. For anyone else with a similar problem, this should work on all GM key fob part number 22733524.

If the other diode had been knocked off, my car would have locked the doors instead of starting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!