SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
Nekomimi
Nekomimi is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Default SL1 Pre-formed Valvecover gasket install

Here's some pictures of how I replaced the old RTV silicone gasket with a new Felpro Pre-formed Silicone gasket. I figure it'll be good to have some more pics for references

I do have a question though, anything I can do besides manually scrubbing it to help get rid of the grit that has built up?

Cover came off pretty easy:

Grim and grit all over the place :/

Really dried and brittle silicone on the inside:

Scraped some off, then decided to use my wrench and it worked lovely:

Used alcohol to clean off the groove and the engine surfaces. The put a small bead of Permatex Ultra-Black to hold the gasket in place/fill any gaps:

Some grade A engineering right here, though it's factory and not much I can do about it. So I continued to put on the silicone:

Putting the cover back on was pretty easy. New grommets put in(Be sure to keep the metal washers from the old grommets), cleaned the gunk off the bolts with a razor, a slight coat of oil and they slid in real nice. Torque to 22ft lbs:

Yeah I need a new timing cover, got a broken stud permanently stuck in the middle one.

'96 SL1 Originally the family car, passed on to me as my first. "Hellcat" 226,000+ miles and purring smooth.My Mug is filled with the lost souls of imports.
I Want SAAB Soccerballs. But they're 4x115

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nekomimi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nekomimi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nekomimi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links