SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #1
destiel4ever
destiel4ever is on a distinguished road

Question Replacing Thermostat '92 SC, How to Remove Alternator?

I'm trying to replace the thermostat in my 92 SC, which is proving to be a major pain in the ass. Without removing the alternator there is no way I'm going to reach the lower 10mm bolt on the Thermostat. I've removed almost all bolts holding the alternator to the frame, except for the bolt at the center of the pully. I have no idea how to remove this and would love some help. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to destiel4ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help destiel4ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
destiel4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Replacing Thermostat '92 SC, How to Remove Alternator?

Not sure how the alternator could possibly get in the way of doing the thermostat, it's on the opposite side of the block.
Not real sure why the A/C Compressor could be in the way either, but that has 3-4 bolts to the bracket on the pulley end, then the bracket has 3-4 bolts to the block then on the back side of the compressor there's 3 bolts holding it to the back bracket (2 need to be removed, middle one just needs to be loosened).

Vid 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEoLFrg8IUI
Vid 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVLoeoDU5E8

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:51 AM   #3
destiel4ever

Question Re: Replacing Thermostat '92 SC, How to Remove Alternator?

Now that you say that, it has to be the AC compressor. It's definitely in the way. I can't get an angle on the lower thermostat bolt without it out of the way. I need help getting it off from the side with the belt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help destiel4ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2016, 07:22 AM   #4
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by destiel4ever View Post
Now that you say that, it has to be the AC compressor. It's definitely in the way. I can't get an angle on the lower thermostat bolt without it out of the way. I need help getting it off from the side with the belt.
It's in the way, but it IS possible. I've done it. I think I used a combination of a gear wrench and a ratchet with the appropriate swivel socket to deal with the tight quarters.

If you feel like you must move the compressor out of the way, just loosen the bracket bolts after you take off the tension off the belt and pop it off the pulley for the compressor.

Best,

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

A/C Compressor removal vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVEb7kbJGGA

Says it's a 10min video, should only take about 3min if you don't have to explain every step along the way and don't get distracted by your sons friends cousin's uncle's goldfish dying... lol

I never had an S-Series with A/C that worked so one of the first things I'd always do is remove the useless baggage from under the hood, including the A/C compressor, lines and condenser that stupidly bolts to the radiator. Saves moving around 20-30lbs and makes working on things 100x easier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2016, 09:27 AM   #6
shortrun
shortrun is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

My sw2 has air conditioning. I just replaced the thermostat. I dont recall the compressor in the way at all. I am not sure all the thermostat housings are the same though.

I have heard you can move the compressor quite a bit if remove its support bolts. Take the serpentine belt off first.

Can you take a picture?

Here is a piture of my cars thermostat. It is blurry but you can see the 2 bolts that need to come out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (127.7 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by shortrun; 03-20-2016 at 09:35 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shortrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shortrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shortrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #7
destiel4ever

Question Re: Replacing Thermostat '92 SC, How to Remove Alternator?

My first instinct was to take off the refrigerant lines so i'm just gonna go ahead and take it out completely.

So I just need to loosen the tensioner, remove the belt, remove the compressor, and then put the belt back and tighten it until it's snug?

I'm new to this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #8
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

It's an automatic tensioner, there's nothing to adjust. Just release pressure on the tensioner with a 14mm wrench (counterclock-wise direction), pull the belt off, unbolt the A/C compressor (leave the refrigerant lines attached) and set the compressor on top of the motor. Then you have plenty of room to get to the thermostat.

If you want to remove the A/C compressor for good you need to get a shorter belt; the beauty of 1st gen DOHC's like yours is when you want/need a shorter belt you just tell the parts store its a same year SL1 with or without A/C or Power Steering to get the right belt. Pretty sure they never made a "dead" pulley for removing A/C because it's cheaper & easier to just get a shorter belt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #9
shortrun
shortrun is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

Just to be sure you understand. If you remove the compressor ac will not work again. Even after you put it back in.
Even just unbolting the compressor and moving can cause the gas - refridgerant to leak out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shortrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shortrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shortrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:55 PM   #10
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

If you remove the plastic splash-shield below the t-stat housing you can get another access path to that area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:49 PM   #11
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

Quote:
My first instinct was to take off the refrigerant lines so i'm just gonna go ahead and take it out completely.

So I just need to loosen the tensioner, remove the belt, remove the compressor, and then put the belt back and tighten it until it's snug?

I'm new to this.
Don't do that. Those lines are under significant pressure. If you un-bolt the compressor from the bracket, just leave the lines attached. There's enough slack to let you move the compressor around a few inches...which is all you need.

When you're done with the thermostat, just bolt the compressor back to it's bracket, put the belt back on, and Bob's your uncle.

Don't forget to bleed the air out of the cooling system (not the A/C). Letting the engine run for 5-10 mins with the cap off the coolant tank ought to burp most of the air out. Just make sure you keep topping it off with the appropriate mix of coolant and distilled water.

Best,

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:49 AM   #12
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

I'm also confused. I've replaced my thermostat a couple times but never disconnected anything other than the hose and the housing. You'll want a variety of socket extensions. Just like most car work you probably can't see what you're doing but just feel.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #13
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
I'm also confused. I've replaced my thermostat a couple times but never disconnected anything other than the hose and the housing. You'll want a variety of socket extensions. Just like most car work you probably can't see what you're doing but just feel.

-Robert
Same here, done it twice without removing the AC condenser. Good 6-point socket, think I used 1/4" drive the first time. Got a set of swivel extensions later.

I remember pulling the AC condenser off for something else, exhaust manifold, maybe? unbolted it, kept hoses on, and laid it on a towel on the radiator support.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:32 PM   #14
destiel4ever

It's definitely in the way. I got a belt tensioner tool but the 13mm socket just slides around the tensioner bolt and doesn't have any grip on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-21-2016, 07:33 PM   #15
destiel4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
If you remove the plastic splash-shield below the t-stat housing you can get another access path to that area.
There's a big metal bar underneath the t-stat housing there's no way i'm getting in from underneath.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-21-2016, 07:53 PM   #16
el diablo viejo
el diablo viejo will become famous soon enough

1994 SW1
2000 SW2

Try taking off the plastic box behind the radiator in the center. It is only one push pin, and then pull it out sideways from the air filter box. This should give you plenty of access to the tstat.

97 sl2 a/t 104 K
1989 GMC 3500 454 129 K, 1969 442 455 rat rod

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to el diablo viejo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help el diablo viejo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
el diablo viejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:56 PM   #17
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

"There's a big metal bar underneath the t-stat housing there's no way i'm getting in from underneath."

Are you talking about the sway/roll bar? Yeah, it's there, but that splash-shield is a whole lot bigger. With the splash-shield off you can see and reach that lower screw. It's still not totally easy, but you don't have to do it "by feel".

Understand, I'm only experienced with the '94/'95 SL, if your '92 SC is a lot different there, then this may be bogus advice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:54 PM   #18
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Oh yea. Take out the resonator. It's just a single plastic rivet. Maybe that is what is in your way. The tstat is really about a 30 min job. There is no need to fiddle with the accessory belt or tensioner.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #19
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Just remembered, back in 2011, I posted a reminder to myself about the t-stat housing.

I had to do a lot of fiddling to get the right length for the sockets/extension so that I had room to maneuver the wrench handle.

For the top bolt, you want about 5" total, for the bottom bolt, around 2"

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...postcount=1032

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #20
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Quote:
It's definitely in the way. I got a belt tensioner tool but the 13mm socket just slides around the tensioner bolt and doesn't have any grip on it.
Try using the correct 14mm socket...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!