SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
a_bartle
a_bartle is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
2007 AURA XE
Default Tow Dolly, moving a Sky or Solstice...

Has anybody used a tow dolly to move their Sky/Solstice? If you put them on backwards, then you wouldn't have to remove the drive shaft. I've done this with Fiero's in the past (the steering wheel locks in and I used the the seatbelt around it for added security) and had good luck. I was just wondering if there is something with the Kappa platform that would prevent me from doing this?

Similar to this....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fiero_Dolly_2.jpg (105.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Fiero_Dolly_3.jpg (38.6 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to a_bartle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help a_bartle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
a_bartle is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2016, 02:23 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Tow Dolly, moving a Sky or Solstice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_bartle View Post
if there is something with the Kappa platform that would prevent me from doing this?

Similar to this....
THere may be some conflict, maybe plain old clearance issues when towing with the rear end up on a dolly and the front dragging, scooping all road debris in the process. Maybe it won't track correctly....

I think the manual says no- all 4 wheels on a trailer, but that's just hearsay from a few links questioning this very thing.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...w-dolly-19326/

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...e+towing+dolly

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:49 PM   #3
Sky Pilot
Sky Pilot is a jewel in the roughSky Pilot is a jewel in the roughSky Pilot is a jewel in the rough

2008 SKY Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
THere may be some conflict, maybe plain old clearance issues when towing with the rear end up on a dolly and the front dragging, scooping all road debris in the process. Maybe it won't track correctly....
I can't think of any issues with the front, just wheel bearings, but the real issue would be frontal clearance, the first driveway or dip in a road would be the death of the Sky's chin. I've had mine towed once in 8 years and it was on a flatbed. Even then the operator used two 4 foot long planks to make sure the chin didn't rub the ground.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky Pilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:13 PM   #4
macantley
macantley is on a distinguished road

I've also towed fiero's with the fronts on the ground, i think as long as the steering wheel is locked in place and you put a strap around the steering wheel just to be safe so it wont move, *IF* the car is a stick shift then you should be able to just leave it in neutral and be fine towing it with the rear wheels on the ground.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macantley's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macantley reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:14 PM   #5
macantley
macantley is on a distinguished road

also, nice 86-87 SE in the photo, I've had 45 pontiac fiero's over the last 15 years. (finally sold my last two that had the 3.8L supercharged swaps)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macantley's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macantley reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #6
outsiderX
outsiderX is on a distinguished road

We towed with the rear wheels on the ground and in neutral. Never had any problem all these years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outsiderX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outsiderX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outsiderX is offline   Reply With Quote