SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2016, 08:47 AM   #1
waiter21
waiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Bypassing the Passlock system

My Vue is 12 years old. I'm not overly concerned that it will get ripped off.

I don't want to have any problems with the Passlock system so I decided to bypass it with a fixed resister. I might add a Remote starter later, so this will work with that also.

NOTE - This completely bypasses the Passlock system, so that any properly cut key will work in the ignition. No special key needed.

The Passlock on this vintage of vehicle is simple; When the ignition key is inserted and turned to the ON position, it triggers a couple small reed switches on the lock. These switches then tie a small resistor into the BCM passkey circuit. The BCM measures the resistance, and compares it to the value that was learned. If they match (or are real close), the BCM is happy and allows the car to run.

This system can be easily bypassed if you are having problems with a bad key or are installing a remote starter.

To fool the car into thinking the key is inserted and the resistance matches, we simply install a fixed resistor permanently into the correct wire.

If you don't want to do the 30 minute "re-learn" then you'll need to match the cars Passlock resistance value using the procedure below, then solder the correct size resistor in place.

If you need to do a re-learn anyway, then you really don't need to do the match, simply solder a 5.6 k-ohm resistor (5,600 ohms) into the circuit, then do the 30 minute re-learn procedure.

On my car, I measured 6.36 k ohms. I soldered two resistors in series to come up with 6.33 k ohms. I then soldered these in line to trick the Passlock..

Measuring the passlock resistance.

1) On the ignition key lock, cut the yellow wire about 1 inch back from the connector that plugs into the key lock. strip a little insulation from both ends that just got cut.

2) Strip some insulation off the Orange/Black wire to expose the wire. We'll be measuring to this wire and also soldering our resistor to this wire.

3) Put your Ohm Meter across the Orange/Black wire, AND the cut yellow wire that goes to the ignition switch.

Turn the Ignition switch to ON, the resistance should be somewhere between 2k and 15k ohms. This is the value of resistance you will need. (Plus or minus 10% should be close enough)

4) Solder the correct resistor(s) between the Orange/Black wire and the Yellow wire that goes to the BCM.

Cap off the end of the yellow wire that goes to the ignition switch so it doesn't short against anything..

Thats it. It should now work with any key or remote starter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chevy_VATS_bypass.jpg (75.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg PassKey_Bypass_1_600.jpg (92.9 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg PassKey_Bypass_2_600.jpg (48.3 KB, 78 views)

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

Last edited by waiter21; 03-09-2016 at 09:02 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Bypassing the Passlock system

Just so you know and to make it easier to understand and incorporate remote start. Passlock doesn't have reed switches and the resistor is already encased in the sensor assembly with no need to add another resistor for bypassing it. All aftermarket remote start systems use a bypass module, added to the remote start system, to allow bypassing Passlock temporarily for starting without a key while maintaining the theft deterrent system if someone were to try driving the car away; without a key to turn the ignition switch to have the Passlock sensor detect the resistor and lock cylinder rotation, the remote automatically disables itself, turns off the engine and reverts back to Passlock protection as soon as the brake pedal is pressed. The steering column is still locked too. In other words a thief would try shifting the automatic to drive but cannot without a key, won't be able to use the steering wheel (locked mechanically) and pressing the brake pedal without a key while remote starting idles the engine simply disables the remote start system, turning off the engine with Passlock still enabled and active to prevent anyone from driving away. I have a remote start system in my L300 with the same Passlock system as yours.

The ignition key is a plain one. No rfid/chip embedded in the plastic key fob. Any duplicate key can be made (see youtube videos) to replace our keys. The feature of Passlock, although now outdated but useful back when thefts drove insurance rates up, is the Passlock sensor detecting lock cylinder rotation while reading the resistor in the ignition switch assembly. The combination of lock cylinder rotation and reading the resistor is Passlock. The updated theft deterrent system using the rfid/chip in the key is more sophisticated and more universally used in almost every car worth protecting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Theft Deterrent System Schematics.jpg (72.4 KB, 56 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD) Description and Operation.pdf (144.2 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by fdryer; 03-09-2016 at 04:42 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:42 AM   #3
thegreatbriguy
thegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Just so you know and to make it easier to understand and incorporate remote start. Passlock doesn't have reed switches and the resistor is already encased in the sensor assembly with no need to add another resistor for bypassing it. All aftermarket remote start systems use a bypass module, added to the remote start system, to allow bypassing Passlock temporarily for starting without a key while maintaining the theft deterrent system if someone were to try driving the car away; without a key to turn the ignition switch to have the Passlock sensor detect the resistor and lock cylinder rotation, the remote automatically disables itself, turns off the engine and reverts back to Passlock protection as soon as the brake pedal is pressed. The steering column is still locked too. In other words a thief would try shifting the automatic to drive but cannot without a key, won't be able to use the steering wheel (locked mechanically) and pressing the brake pedal without a key while remote starting idles the engine simply disables the remote start system, turning off the engine with Passlock still enabled and active to prevent anyone from driving away. I have a remote start system in my L300 with the same Passlock system as yours.

The ignition key is a plain one. No rfid/chip embedded in the plastic key fob. Any duplicate key can be made (see youtube videos) to replace our keys. The feature of Passlock, although now outdated but useful back when thefts drove insurance rates up, is the Passlock sensor detecting lock cylinder rotation while reading the resistor in the ignition switch assembly. The combination of lock cylinder rotation and reading the resistor is Passlock. The updated theft deterrent system using the rfid/chip in the key is more sophisticated and more universally used in almost every car worth protecting.
do I understand this to say? to bypass passlock just jumper the correct wires the resistor is already on??
I had a problem on an 02 Pontiac where passlock kept enacting itself and you had to wait 10 min to drive away. usually on a really hot and humid summer day...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thegreatbriguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thegreatbriguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thegreatbriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The resistor cannot be bypassed at any time.

Passlock is configured to measure the resistor every time the ignition key is turned, compares the value against a stored value in the bcm; the bcm determines a GO/NO GO check - a) if the resistor matches what's in bcm memory, a password is sent to the ecm to allow injector operation or b) if resistor value doesn't match the bcm doesn't send the password to the ecm and the ecm disables injector operation. No injector operation means the starter can crank the engine until the battery dies but the engine will never run.

Whatever caused your Pontiac to trigger 'tamper mode' and force you to wait the 10 minutes until Passlock reset wasn't determined. I can guess one or two scenarios for this to occur. Tamper mode is one of the Passlock security features.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2016, 02:07 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatbriguy View Post
do I understand this to say? to bypass passlock just jumper the correct wires the resistor is already on??
I had a problem on an 02 Pontiac where passlock kept enacting itself and you had to wait 10 min to drive away. usually on a really hot and humid summer day...
I thought waiter21's post has very useful information to anyone interested in enabling starting and running if the Passlock Sensor contained in ignition cylinder should fail either permanently or on sporadic basis.

I think a possible equal value of temporarily adding the external resistor might be to help isolate a Passlock fail indication to either Passlock sensor, or BCM, or ECM/PCM, or associated wiring.

Passlock Sensors were apparently failing at epidemic levels in all GM vehicles in 98 to 02 time frame. I have a copy of GM service bulletin to bypass the system in all sorts of GM trucks using a toggle switch if a customer requested.

Analysis of Passlock Sensor circuit shows two resistors. A tamper resistor which is switched into circuit by the tamper hall effect sensor if a strong magnet is placed near the sensor. This guarantees a no run condition. The other resistor is the theft resistor which can be any of 10 different values.

My interpretation of Passlock start sequence is turning key ON results in BCM applying 5 volts to the yellow wire. When key is rotated to START - the security hall effect sensor completes the circuit back to BCM.

A portion of the initial 5 volts will be dropped across the resistor path in Passlock Sensor and the remaining voltage - some value between 0.86 and 4.28 volts (based on internal resistor values) - will be felt at BCM.

If voltage at BCM is within a few tenths of stored value, all is well - Passlock light goes out and fuel enable is sent to ECM/PCM. If BCM does not recognize the sensor voltage there'll be no fuel enable and SECURITY light flashes.

Adding the external resistor eliminates the embedded Passlock sensor from the fuel enable circuit. And as waiter21 describes - if the new external resistor matches the one bypassed in Passlock circuit you are good to go.

On the other hand you can use any resistor in range of 0.5K ohms to 13.6K ohms but you'll need to teach the BCM the new voltage using the 30 minute procedure.

BTW - previously mentioned GM service bulletin called for adding a switch to open the yellow wire. One feature of Passlock is once engine starts and runs you can open the yellow wire and BCM and ECM/PCM will remain in fuel enable for all subsequent engine starts and runs.

Downsides are Passlock light stays on at all times and other more significant items are either disconnecting battery or clearing any stored trouble codes will cancel BCM fuel enable and yellow wire must be reconnected to start and run in future.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

After your reply I decided to look into GM's theft deterrent systems. Not surprisingly, GM has several theft deterrent systems with each one different from the next. Pontiac has more than one security system; '02 Pontiac Grand Prix uses Passkey III, the rfid/chip embedded in the plastic portion of the key using radio frequency scanning to read the key. '02 Pontiac Grand Am uses Passlock (same as Saturns having Passlock). '02 Pontiac Firebird uses PASS-KEY, a resistor embedded in the key. '98 Buick Park Avenue uses PASS-KEY III using rfid/chip in the key. It can be very confusing if anyone doesn't specify which GM brand and model and attempt to compare some Saturns security system to whatever model. Each one of GM's security systems is a variation of using resistors or rfid pellets as the basis of theft protection. Without going deeper and finding out what other GM models uses security, GM is no different from other manufacturers using electronics to prevent theft. With the various security schemes used, it can be difficult to address which system is used before attempting to describe how each security system operates and where problems occur, whether its a weakness in design or user error. Adding to this confusion is determining which system can have plain keys made or special order rfid specific keys alters troubleshooting methods. Attempting to bypass these systems does require specific knowledge to determine if bypassing any part of security is possible. Without specific info (Passlock, PASS-KEY, PASS-KEY III), I think its nearly impossible to suggest a bypass. On the other hand, aftermarket alarm/security/remote start systems have found answers to this by knowing which systems need customized circuitry to work seamlessly with factory security - the (temporary) bypass module. Its not surprising when earlier members had difficulty with their aftermarket installed security or remote start systems fail (and in worse case scenarios) find themselves prevented from starting and driving away - due to incorrect installation interfering with GM's security system. I've read of members bringing their cars to Saturn and told to have their aftermarket system removed, refusing to perform warranty repairs because they knew how troublesome early aftermarket systems were not working correctly, caused problems to GM's security system. I can only guess why some aftermarket systems aren't perfect and until solved, warranty work was voided until they were removed. Its understandable if Saturn has to troubleshoot a problem, spend time to determine an aftermarket system interfered with the factory system and lose money correcting the problem. Burned once or twice and a business won't survive so insisting warranty work will continue when these aftermarket systems are completely disabled or removed makes business sense. I also noticed many members overlooked GM's security system (PASS-KEY, Passlock, PASS-KEY III) and had additional security installed, duplicating security that may have caused early incompatibility issues when it wasn't necessary. One example may be the short xmitter range of GM's remotes with owners wanting long range capability and choosing to add another security system without realizing incorrect installation may cause problems. Personally, if my car is out of view and a theft occurs, a long range security system is all but useless other than informing me that a theft is occurring (with two way remotes). The same for long distance remote starting; if an aftermarket remote cannot work seamlessly with a factory security system, its useless and brings up the question of whether its more important to have security or comfort. Some balance is needed when having convenience items like factory security for insurance discounts and having a warm or cooled car several walking blocks away.

This reminds me of a new problem occurring, tire pressure monitoring systems. In another forum here, owners are wrestling with aging tire pressure sensors and their replacement costs, their instrument panel indicators reminding them of pressure issues and whether their TPMS is faulty. All due to society blaming problems on tire manufacturers with mandates to have TPMS in cars since '08. With possible tpms issues nagging some owners having to repeatedly check their tire pressures and ask why their tpms isn't turning off the indicator, it seems a return to the previous tried and true method of periodic tire pressure checking is simpler without an idiot light telling me one of my tires is low.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2016, 10:46 AM   #7
thegreatbriguy
thegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
2002 Pontiac Grand AM GT, with Passlock. no chip in the key, just ridiculously troublesome lock cylinder apparently related to the resister, some moisture and some dirt...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help thegreatbriguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2016, 12:50 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
2002 Pontiac Grand AM GT, with Passlock. no chip in the key, just ridiculously troublesome lock cylinder apparently related to the resister, some moisture and some dirt...
You can add external resistor - but Grand AM wires would be Yellow and Black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02 GranAM - Immobilizer Edit.jpg (123.3 KB, 38 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #9
KCW
Advanced Member
KCW is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

I recently took my 2004 base model Vue in to have the ignition tumbler replaced for the recall. You could pull the key out while it was running.

The service rep at the Buick dealership told me there are only 8 unique keys for Saturn cars. I could open the doors and start my 2004 Vue and my 2000 SL with the key from either car.

Maybe that's why GM cars were being stolen.

BTW, glad my base model doesn't have any of this BCM junk on it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KCW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:10 PM   #10
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
BTW, glad my base model doesn't have any of this BCM junk on it
Not sure what you mean by "BCM junk" but if you're referring to Passlock Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD) and Contents Theft Deterrent (CTD) all 02-07 Vue's were born with these systems.

Perhaps you have some sort of workaround on yours???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #11
KCW
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

I bought my 2004 Vue new from the dealer. Its the base model: crank windows, manual door locks, no power anything.

I know there is nothing in the key that is sensed or detected, because the car came with a flat metal key I keep in my wallet in case I get locked out of the car.

If there is a Body Control Module in my Vue, it has no function that I can see.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KCW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2016, 09:32 PM   #12
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I bought my 2004 Vue new from the dealer. Its the base model: crank windows, manual door locks, no power anything.

I know there is nothing in the key that is sensed or detected, because the car came with a flat metal key I keep in my wallet in case I get locked out of the car.

If there is a Body Control Module in my Vue, it has no function that I can see.
I didn't realize they built such a basic base Vue ... with no power locks the rear hatch must have a way to lock and unlock with key. That feature is missing on my four family Vues. In fact - they eliminated the key on front passengers door after 2005.

The Vue Passlock system uses regular key but there is a sensor in ignition lock cylinder that checks for key insertion and smooth rotation from ON to START.

An abbreviated list ... BCM is needed for A/C, exterior and interior lights, chimes, auto wipers and washers, coolant level, display operation and dimming, low brake fluid, ECM operation, excessive alternator power protection, security (Passlock).

A complete list of BCM functions can be found in post 20 of this thread.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194724

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #13
KCW
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

yes my rear hatch only opens with the key.

I had the panel off a few times dinkering with the wiper motor, and the solenoid to unlock it is there, but its not connected to anything.

I have thought about hooking up a wire and a pushbutton to the front of the car, but the lock works fine with the key as long as I keep it lubed, so kinda pointless.

Got the base model Vue at the end of year sale, $3,500 off list price, I paid about $15,000 for it new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCW's Reputation
Old 03-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #14
thegreatbriguy

2005 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
yes my rear hatch only opens with the key.

I had the panel off a few times dinkering with the wiper motor, and the solenoid to unlock it is there, but its not connected to anything.

I have thought about hooking up a wire and a pushbutton to the front of the car, but the lock works fine with the key as long as I keep it lubed, so kinda pointless.

Got the base model Vue at the end of year sale, $3,500 off list price, I paid about $15,000 for it new.
I have a base one of these as well. Its a project and I didn't even think about that lock on the hatch will have to check it out. AND that key thing is priceless!! if I own 4 vues I just need 4 more vues and the keys are going to have to start working on each other at some point or I'm just really unlucky! As it stands now I don't believe they work because I have gotten the keys confused and sat there like a fool wondering why the key wouldn't turn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2016, 01:36 PM   #15
waiter21
waiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 2.2L

KCW - Being able to remove the key in any position would be a good feature for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2016, 06:30 AM   #16
waiter21

2003 VUE 2.2L

I just installed a remote starter, The bypass I did with the resistor works like a champ. I had no problems with the passlock system and no need for any passlock bypass systems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!