SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 02:27 PM   #1
bbarbulo
Advanced Member
bbarbulo is on a distinguished road

Wrench Solution to "Key In" Chime

Hey my Saturn fellows!! Ok, I've gotten so much from this here forum, I feel like I ought to give something back. I wish I had pics for you... and I wish I also had a digicam... so words will have to do.

This is a solution to all those suffering from the "Key In" chime when the door is open. 1st of all figure out if it's the cylinder or the switch. If the cyl is fuct, then the ring around the key stays pushed in. You need a new cyl. If the cyl pops out, by itself and the chime continues to sound while the door is open, then the switch is at fault. You take the covers off the ignition...looking from the door side of the steering column, you will see where the harness plugs into the ignition switch. These are wierd little bolts... like 5.5mm sockets are needed or something strange like that... you'll figure it out... I'm sure. Anyways, you remove the ignition switch. You take it apart at the seam... and inside there is a set of contacts and a spring in the middle. Use brake or contact cleaner and clean it, reapply new electo-grease to the contacts. That's NOT ALL FOLKS... one more thing. That spring in the middle... take it out and stretch it just a bit. Give it the original height back by stretching it. Put back together and plug it back in. VOILA... no more chime, and the automatic seatbelt should now open when you take the key out from the igntion... at least that how it was in my auto one... my stick one doesn't chime, but the seatbelt comes back only with the door open. There... hope that's helped! It's real easy... just as long as you got the right tools to get to it Best of all.... IT'S FREE!!! Oh yeah, I wanna also holla at my peeps at the Saturn of Windsor dealership... these folks are soooo nice, and their service is sooooo great, and their parts are extremely well priced. The SW2 is now getting treated to all OEM parts where it's not being modified. So... support your local Satty dealer folks... get to know them. I got a child seat anchor required to pass federal inspection for... get this ... under $1.00 canadian...that's like $0.70 american LOL At Honda, that same part would have cost me about $50 LOL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bbarbulo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bbarbulo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2003, 02:57 PM   #2
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

the ignition switch is $50 if you need to replace it. mine had something freaky happen and a wire burned up. smoke came out any everything!

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2003, 04:29 PM   #3
bbarbulo
Advanced Member

I figure the chime isn't enough to make ppl run out and spend $50 on a switch... this is free, and will fix it for the next 3-4 years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bbarbulo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2003, 06:04 PM   #4
9TWOSC
9TWOSC is on a distinguished road

Hey there,
I had the same chime problem with my 92. The local dealer here wanted $276 for the switch and labor OUCH I went to one of our junkyards in the area and got two switches for $12 I installed one and also a spare. WOW what a differance thanks for the help all

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 9TWOSC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 9TWOSC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2003, 10:44 PM   #5
nico_debrune
nico_debrune is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
Idea

Thanks, great advice!

I had the non-stop chiming problem and with the advice above found the problem in the ignition switch. I couldn't get it working properly though but found another solution. The problem is a little copper connector that is meant to short a circuit when the key is pushed in. It has 2 legs that spread out which seem to have a habit of getting stuck.

In the end I just took it completely out of the switch and the problem is fixed. No more constant chiming but it chimes when the headlights are left on! What it doesn't do is chime when you leave the key in and open the door but for me that was unnecessary and kind of annoying.

Hope this helps!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nico_debrune's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nico_debrune reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2003, 08:14 AM   #6
GRIFF
GRIFF is on a distinguished road

bbarbulo~ I don't mean to jump in on ya ~ but here is a link to my gallery that has some pics of the switch taken out. feel free to grab one or two and post them here if you know how..

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...yourfriend.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GRIFF's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GRIFF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2003, 08:19 AM   #7
GRIFF

By the way ~ I went to the junk yard and got two. When I got to the counter the guy asked me what they were. I said just switches. He looked at his price chart and rang them up as misc. electrical. I got them for $2.99 ea :-) man was I happy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help GRIFF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2003, 02:35 PM   #8
bbarbulo
Advanced Member

GRIFF, thank you kindly for your pictures!! They are the perfect supplement to this post!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2003, 05:47 PM   #9
GRIFF

Your welcome ~ :-)
Thought they would come in handy someday.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2003, 06:20 PM   #10
GRIFF

Just a follow up on the key-in-chime problem. I installed one of the switches from the junk yard and it worked for 2 weeks. So I decided to install the other one ( i'm getting quick at getting these out ) I had faith, so I put everthing back together and when I installed the chime fuse, Guess what :-(

Yeah the chime was back. Man I'm getting sick of that noise. So today I went to the junk yard and said I'll try one more time.. Found a switch and when I was there I decided to see how this chime module is removed. I tried a year ago to pull it out and didn't think it was removable so i wanted to try it on a junk car where I can't hurt anything.

There is a clip under the chime module that needs to be pulled down before you pull the module straight out. you also will need to wiggle it a bit to get it out.

Before I put the switch in, I decided to see if this chime module was causing my problem, I installed the chime module,put the fuse back in, inserted the key then removed the key and WOW!!!!
no more CHIME and has worked great for the rest of the day.

Checked the defrost and dome light and all is fine. moral of this long story ~ If you replace atleast two switches and even after you remove the copper tab the chime still rings~ Check you darn CHIME MODULE :-)

SEE PICS OF CHIME MODULE IF YOUR INTERESTED.
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...yourfriend.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2003, 10:35 PM   #11
gear2th
gear2th is on a distinguished road

I had this problem with my '93 SL2 - sometimes I could stop the chiming by reinserting and removing the key, but it got worse. Dealer wanted $200 for a new lock cylinder.

My solution was to bend pin #7 of the chime module out of the way, disabling the "key minder", but keeping the other chimes such as lights on. This was after looking at the shop manual - I paid something like $125 for the manuals, but kept chickening out and having the dealer do almost everything, such as the alternator replacement - glad to finally get some of my investment back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gear2th's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gear2th reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2005, 05:57 PM   #12
celegante
celegante is on a distinguished road

2002 SC
1992 SC2
Default Re: Solution to "Key In" Chime

I have a 92 SC. The driver's side motorized seat belt stopped working on Friday and the chime stays on when the key is not in the ignition. I just paid $434 to get the seat belt track and motor replaced, but the chime is still on. Thanks for all of this information. I'll be scheduling an appointment at the dealership to get the chime problem fixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to celegante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help celegante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2005, 07:18 PM   #13
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m will become famous soon enoughDavid 93 SL2m will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Cool Re: Solution to "Key In" Chime

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear2th
I had this problem with my '93 SL2 - sometimes I could stop the chiming by reinserting and removing the key, but it got worse. Dealer wanted $200 for a new lock cylinder.

My solution was to bend pin #7 of the chime module out of the way, disabling the "key minder", but keeping the other chimes such as lights on. This was after looking at the shop manual - I paid something like $125 for the manuals, but kept chickening out and having the dealer do almost everything, such as the alternator replacement - glad to finally get some of my investment back.
I did the same thing.

1) On the center console there is a "door" on the passenger side with a set of fuses and relays mounted to some sort of circuit board. On the back side is the chime module. Go to the driver's side and take off the center console "door" on that side. It snaps on and has a bit of Velcro holding it in place just like on the other side.

2) Look at the back of the circuit board thing with the relays and fuses with a flashlight. Look for a long thin red or blue plastic box. Wiggle and pull and wiggle and pull until it comes out. It might take some time as this has been in there for many years and never has been taken out before. Note that the chime box is "keyed" meaning there is a bump/slot on one of the sides and there is a corresponding slot/bump on the back of the circuit board it was pulled from.

3) Look at the "pins" on the side of the chime box where the electrical connections are made to the circuit board thing. See they are numbered? Make a note of pin number 7.

4) Pry open the chime box.

5) Carefully take out the circuit board inside the chime box. Tilt the end away from the pins, turn the unit over, and catch the board in your palm as it swivels out.

6) Carefully bend pin number 7 so that it is in the shape of a "U" and will not go through the holes in the plastic box when we put it back.

7) Reinstall the circuit board back into the chime box. It will only go in one way.

8) Snap the cover of the chime box shut.

9) Put the chime box back into place, remembering that it is "keyed." It will take a bit of effort to get it back on again - but if it takes too much effort then make sure the bump/slot part is lined up correctly.

10) Put the "door" back on the side of the center console.

11) Give it a test with your key!

We don't want to get rid of the chime box because it also has the timer for the dome light. Also, we want it to chime when we accidentally leave our headlights on.

I'll post pictures in a few days...

As of Oct 2014
∙ 1993 SL2, 209K
∙ 1996 SC2,123K
∙ 2002 SL1, 91K
∙ 2004 VUE, 97K
Past
∙ 1993 SC2, 140K
∙ 1996 SC2, 157K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200, 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2005, 02:12 PM   #14
acr2001
acr2001 is on a distinguished road

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but i tried bending pin 7, now the chime is twice as fast!!! but behaves like it did before. This is an SL1 (93) is that my problem? Im gonna bend it back and forget about it for now, i dont want to mess anything up.

- 1993 SL1 Auto 100,000+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acr2001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acr2001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2005, 02:46 PM   #15
acr2001

Nevermind, false alarm, it worked GREAT, my chime was beeping because some dirt got on the pin that causes a "headlights are on" chime. I just removed it, blew into the holes, re-installed and vwala!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help acr2001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2005, 03:13 PM   #16
acr2001

OK theres another change... turns out, the pin removal worked, BUT my aftermarket car alarm (excalibur?) is somehow patched through to the chime, so if i get into the car with the keyless remote, and then DONT lock the doors with it, i get the same old chime until the door is closed. If i open the door after a drive, i get no chime issue. Anyone have a solution or any comments on that? Maybe its supposed to do that? This happens both in and out of valet mode. If i get into the car with the key and bypass the keyless entry, the door doesent chime.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-30-2005, 01:57 AM   #17
Scout238
Scout238 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
1996 SL1
Post Re: Solution to "Key In" Chime

I had the same problem... but I too had a wire burn on me. It started out as an intermitant (sp?) key in chime and also key getting stuck in ignition. It happened to burn really bad today, and it looked like I way hot boxing my satty... but anyway. I pulled everything apart and found a black wire connected to the ignition switch that was totally melted. Black wire according to wiring diagram is a ground that is hot only when "key in." Now I was wondering since that now the wire is mutilated and it worked without it, am I doing any damage leaving it like broken? The only thing that doesn't work at all now is the key in chime... which I don't care about. Anyone see any problems?
Thanks for the enlightment!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Scout238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Scout238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread