SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2016, 06:04 PM   #1
robb_sc2
robb_sc2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default Valvoline long life coolant

Did a coolant flush at the local iffy lube, after doing the water pump. Not sure why, they are the ones that broke my oil drain plug nut off inside the pan... Anyway, they used Valvoline longlife coolant. Didn't have a chance to ask if it is phosphate free ethylene glycol. The Valvoline website claims universal compatible, but they do list a dexcool specific replacement so now I'm nervous. Please calm my fears or confirm them!

Gold 1999 SC2 ~385k Kms

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robb_sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robb_sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robb_sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Valvoline long life coolant

From the service manual; The Saturn cooling system is filled with DEX-COOL™, a non phosphate, silicate free ethylene glycol-based antifreeze recommended for aluminum engine protection and increased water pump seal life.

With all the discussions for and against coolant formulations and the harm caused from possible misuse of incorrect coolant, its more or less hearsay distracting the main reason major coolant manufacturers revise their formulas - to ensure their coolant is compatible with engines and materials to prevent chemical reactions, galvanic corrosion or conditions that would lead to cooling system damage. Since cast iron engines led to cast aluminum engines or aluminum cylinder heads and use of aluminum for heater cores, coolant formulas required changes to accommodate dissimilar metals from reacting with each other thru liquid coolant.

If you are sure Valvoline is used, visit Valvoline's site and read their coolant formula. They should be able to give you info about their compatibility to cooling systems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb_sc2 View Post
Did a coolant flush at the local iffy lube, after doing the water pump. Not sure why, they are the ones that broke my oil drain plug nut off inside the pan... Anyway, they used Valvoline longlife coolant. Didn't have a chance to ask if it is phosphate free ethylene glycol. The Valvoline website claims universal compatible, but they do list a dexcool specific replacement so now I'm nervous. Please calm my fears or confirm them!
The latest formulations are phosphate free and ethylene glycol based. The Valvoline product is all makes all models compatible. It should be perfectly fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

+1. Probably no worries for 5 years. For the past 10 years I've run Valvoline's Zerex G05 yellow coolant and it's been a champ @ 60%+ concentration. Much less scuzz in the expansion tank than I experienced with the original Orange Julius Dexcool stuff.

Still on my original radiator, water pump, hoses. Knock on plastic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote