SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2016, 06:16 PM   #1
meetjobrown
meetjobrown is on a distinguished road

Default Engine noise at specific RPM

SL
SOHC
Manual
111k Miles

While driving, there is a noise that comes from the engine compartment at 1.8k-2.3k RPM. Before and after that range there is no noise. It has a metallic scraping sound, kind of like hitting the brakes with really worn out pads. The sound will happen in neutral when I rev the engine, and obviously while driving in that range, but it doesn't happen when I push in the clutch and rev it into that range.

I have searched around for some answers, and found a video that sounds similar to what I hear.
YouTube video titled "Saturn SL2 belt drive grinding or scraping noise--starting with belt on = scraping noise" (sorry can't post URL)
The comments mention a bearing in the A/C, but the noise I hear isn't constant. My A/C does not work BTW.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to meetjobrown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help meetjobrown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
meetjobrown is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2016, 07:23 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: Engine noise at specific RPM

Um, but that does not make sense.

You said...

"The sound will happen in neutral when I rev the engine, and obviously while driving in that range, but it doesn't happen when I push in the clutch and rev it into that range."

Both ways you are in neutral and not in gear.

I don't know, but it might just be something simple like the belt tensioner going bad, or something more like an alternator giving up.

If you don't see/hear something obvious when (in N of course) the engine is idling and you manually rev the engine, then turn off engine, remove the serpentine belt and briefly, briefly start & run the engine; rev it and see if the sound occurs or not.

Could even be a timing chain or the chain guide having an issue.

How long have you owned it and if a recent purchase then maybe previous owner ran with the engine oil too low for a while?....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #3
meetjobrown

Sorry for the confusion. When the clutch is not pressed the sound will occur. When the clutch is pressed, the sound will not occur.

I purchased the car 8 months ago with 95k. I am not sure if the oil has been run low before I purchased it, but I have been on top of oil changes and keeping it topped off.

I will remove the belt tomorrow and update. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help meetjobrown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2016, 06:16 AM   #4
cdxhizors
Advanced Member
cdxhizors has a spectacular aura aboutcdxhizors has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Sounds like you've done your trouble shooting.. It's a clutch issue. I would start testing the clutch and do easy tests. Hydraulic test. See if it slips. Visually inspect the transmission fluid(maybe its internal in the trans but I doubt it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdxhizors's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdxhizors reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdxhizors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #5
meetjobrown

Sorry for the delay, but I wanted to post an update. I found the noise was coming from my idler pulley, and after tightening it, the noise is gone. Thanks for the suggestions and the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Thanks for coming back and giving the answer. So commonly people will solve their issues but not say how they did it so that others can figure it out in the future.

sixthsphere.com owner
1997 Saturn SC2 Turbo
sixthsphere.com/showthread.php/89737

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:02 PM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Did you check crank end-play? Putting in the clutch pedal should have no effect on the other (belt) end of the engine, unless the crank is moving more than normal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote